Pumping at work

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mgm78
  • 2 Post By Sugaree

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 25th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Just curious what other people are pumping while at work, I am away from my 10 month old from 7am to 5pm, I am only pumping about 9 ounces on a good day at the beginning of the week, then closer 6-7 by Friday. Although she is just getting over a cold, the decrease could be from that.
November 25th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
How often are you pumping during your time away? How much is she drinking while away from you? Have you gotten your period back yet? Could you be due for it now?
November 26th, 2013, 03:53 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
On average, I would get around 3-4oz total for each pumping session. I would pump first thing in the morning while DD nursed on one side and i pumped the other, then i would pump as soon as i got to work, and then once during work. I also pumped during that first morning feed on my days off. Hope that helps! My coworker used to pump TWO FULL BOTTLES in like 5 minutes and i would pump for like 20 minutes and get 4oz total. We had the same pump too!
luv_n_heart31 likes this.

November 26th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Super Mommy
I average about 18 ounces a day. I work 9 hours a day and pump 4-5 times, but get to feed him at lunch. Usually my first session is the largest and then they get smaller as the day progresses. I'm opposite of you though because I seem to get more as the week goes on. I think that's because I technically pump an oversupply. I send 17 ounces to daycare (6 bottles @ 2.5 ounces and 2 bottles @ 1 ounce) and usually get at least one 2.5 oz bottle and one 1 oz bottle back in the afternoon. I do that so if I have a meeting that runs late or he is especially hungry one day then I don't have to worry about him not having enough milk to get through the day. At the end of the week I usually end up freezing between 9 and 15 ounces.
Maenfayne and luv_n_heart31 like this.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
November 26th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Rachel- I nurse her at 6:30am, pump at 8:30, 11:00 and sometime between 1 and 2. She is eager to nurse at 5pm and if I pump after 2pm, she gets pretty frustrated. Thank goodness no AF yet, not even a sign of it. I have instructed her daycare to only give her 3-4 oz at a time max and only when she really seems hungry. I think she has been taking 9oz a day in the last week or so, down from 12 oz a day. So it seems like my pumping is similar to what she is drinking.

Sugaree- I'm jealous that you make more as the week goes on, that also happened to a friend of mine. Mine has always decreased. Then on the weekend we ebf and by Monday, we are up a little again! I do have a frozen stash, apparently when my lo was 3 months old, I went to town, I have a ton of milk from last March that I am still using. I try to use a frozen bag each day and freeze a bag each day to rotate.
November 26th, 2013, 10:48 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I pumped for my daughter while working and total between 3 sessions, when I went back at 3 months I got about 15oz and it decreased to 9-10oz by 7-9 months or so? I added in pumping sessions at home before work and after bed to help. She took 12oz a day (4 3oz bottles) from 3 months til 10ish months, then it started decreasing. At 1yr I no longer sent breastmilk.

December 6th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Erin, at one year, did she take cow's milk during the day? I am debating on what to do....
December 7th, 2013, 03:45 AM
we did not do cows milk and i pumped for 19 months. We did do plain, unsweetened soy milk in addition.

December 9th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Super Mommy
Can I ask why no cow's milk? Obviously I know not to give it to LO until at least a year due to allergies, etc.

The reason I ask is that I love the stuff. DH and I (okay, mostly me) go through 2-3 gallons a week. The gallon I bought on Friday is already gone. My first husband used to tell me that "normal adults don't drink milk" and "one day you'll grow out of your milk habit" (apparently, anything he doesn't like isn't "normal"...a real peach, that one). He was just being a jerk, but I've heard a lot lately about people being very much against cow's milk.

Personally, I have some concerns about consuming excessive plant estrogens in soy milk and think that almond milk is disgusting, so that doesn't leave too many options for a milk substitute.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
December 9th, 2013, 10:00 AM
We drink almond milk in our house primarily. We do not do any cows milk products because of the health conditions and concerns related to them as well as not feeling like it is necessary to be part of a well rounded diet. To each their own, but we do not eat meat or drink milk. I have never had cows milk in my life. Imo, i agree with your ex in that it is not normal for animals to drink the milk of another species, but it is very common in our culture in the US to drink cows milk. Everything is fortified now, so there is really no concern about calcium, etc, and DD breastfed for almost 3 years, so i did not feel there was a need to introduce cow's milk. Also, the cows milk at 1 year old is for formula fed babies when their parents no longer want to pay for the expense of formula.

December 9th, 2013, 11:07 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I'm also a fan of cow's milk myself, so it was a more natural transition to me, I think. At a year, she only had a bit of cow's milk during the day, at home she still nursed until 18months. Even after that, she's never drank a ton of milk, but she always loved cheese, yogurt, etc. At age 3, she gets milk at meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) - a small cup (and since I only fill it halfway, not more than 4oz I think). For snacks or in between she gets water, occasionally juice.

December 9th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
We drink almond milk in our house primarily. We do not do any cows milk products because of the health conditions and concerns related to them as well as not feeling like it is necessary to be part of a well rounded diet. To each their own, but we do not eat meat or drink milk. I have never had cows milk in my life. Imo, i agree with your ex in that it is not normal for animals to drink the milk of another species, but it is very common in our culture in the US to drink cows milk. Everything is fortified now, so there is really no concern about calcium, etc, and DD breastfed for almost 3 years, so i did not feel there was a need to introduce cow's milk. Also, the cows milk at 1 year old is for formula fed babies when their parents no longer want to pay for the expense of formula.
Gotcha. I can see that. I *try* to buy milk directly from the dairy because it will be fresher and the cows haven't been given growth horomones (bonus: they have a drive through window so I don't have to drag LO out of his carseat and into the store). But the dairy is between work and home so if we run out on a weekend then I don't always feel like making a special trip out there.

Tags
breastfeeding , pumping , work

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search