Need support! Some questions!

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2014, 07:40 PM
ERose's Avatar Veteran
I had my son on the 29th & am EBF. I honestly never expected to be BFing as with my DD I had issues & didn't produce any milk & assumed it would be the same this time round...but its actually quite the opposite! I'm making A LOT of milk & have a really fast let down!

So things are going well, my son already gained a whole pound at his first physical & grew 2inches! Hes quite needy during the day [wants to be held ALL the time etc.], but will sleep a long while in the afternoon & then usually has a 'cranky' session of an evening nursing on & off & fussing until he eventually settles [can take up to 3hrs!] then during the night he has a great routine & is very settled sleeps 2-4hrs waking up for a small feed & going back to sleep up until around 4am when he has another cranky session lasting again maybe up to 3hrs until he eventually settles & will sleep 3-4hrs.

Does everything sound ok? Am guessing the cranky sessions are cluster feeding right?

Eventually I will be going back to work...[in maybe 2+ weeks] & am going to have to pump ...will this ruin BFing? Will he still nurse from me or will he just want the bottle?

Also tips for BFing in public please! Should I just use a bottle seeing as I will be pumping? Or should I minimize bottle use just for when I'm gone & somebody else has to feed. I am SO scared to BF in public! I have no idea what to wear or how to be discreet! I saw someone using a heavy thick blanket to hide BFing, but I don't want to suffocate my poor baby

Another question...I read that seeing as my let down is fast & I make a lot of milk I should only use one breast at a time. I have been just feeling which one is fullest & using that one first...does that make sense? Then if I have to take him off to burp, I put him back on the same breast until its pretty empty & hes done.

One more thing! Is it normal for BFing to be so messy? I feel like I'm always covered in milk lol.

Thanks in advance ladies! sorry so many questions!

Mummy to a beautiful DD born: 11/09/09
Step-Mummy to another DD born: 10/02/03

Suffered an ectopic Oct 12

Praying for our miracle baby & 1st baby with my DF to complete our family <3

January 22nd, 2014, 08:30 AM
rachelc0's Avatar 2 sons, 3 angel babies
ok first of all, sounds pretty typical. the neediness could either be a growth spurt, or a slight case of colic. what i learned with Kale, is at around 6p every single night he would just be really fussy and never settle down. one night i was so exhausted i just put him in his bassenet and laid in the bed next to him. literally 10 seconds after i put him down, he was absolutely fine. and ended up soothing himself to sleep. he was like two weeks old when he did this. try that. its not a CIO method, but baby may just want his own time.

second, you should try to nurse out of the first breast as long as possible. then switch. i don't know how much education you have with nursing, but the first milk that comes out is thin and 'quentches thirst'. the thicker hind milk has all the nutrients and calories. if you switch too early, he won't get enough of that hind milk.

if he only nurses out of the one and is satisfied, i encourage you to pump the other (if you can). BM works on a suppky and demand basis so pumping the other side helps keep the breast milk up and makes it easier if you have someone else feed him BM via bottle. same thing there, make sure you pump as long as possible to get all that hind milk out.

10/06/2008 - Miscarriage @ 6wks
12/08/2009 - Healthy Baby Boy
11/02/2011 - Healthy Baby Boy
06/09/2014 - Stillborn @ 39wks 6days
08/09/2014 - Miscarriage @ 5wks
January 22nd, 2014, 09:20 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
congrats on your LO! I went back to work at 5 weeks PP and there was no ill effects to breastfeeding. I would start pumping and building your stash now. I would often nurse on one side while pumping the other, especially first thing in the morning. As far as nursing in public, try a nursing tank under your shirt, it will cover you midsection. Try it infront of a mirror and you will see how little is exposed vs what you think is exposed. Otherwise, everything sounds like normal baby behavior. For me, i never gave bottles except while working, because for me, i had a hard time with pumping.

January 23rd, 2014, 07:19 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
When you say his has cranky spells, can you be more specific? Is he just nursing more often but calms when breastfed or is he sometimes inconsolable? If he seems in pain while cranky, it could be due to the oversupply. In an oversupply situation, the infant gets more lactose and sometimes their bodies have a hard time digesting the extra lactose. Block feeding will help to relieve that. You would need to stick to one breast only for a period of 4-6 hours whenever the infant nurses.

As far as pumping, my best suggestion is to use an efficient pump and get fitted for the correct flange size. As far as the nursing in public, try joining a local support group like LLL for help with that. The moms have a lot of experience nursing in public and can give you some great tips. You can also invest in a great carrier and practice in front of the mirror. This may make you more comfortable and realize no one will probably notice.

Should breastfeeding be messy? It's normal to be messy and it's normal not to be messy. I know that probably didn't help you much but it's true. There's so many different variations of normal when it comes to breastfeeding. But it seems like you do have an oversupply and that will make things very messy. Look into Milkies! They can collect the milk so you can save it when you leak. They are wonderful!
January 23rd, 2014, 02:24 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleeannk View Post
When you say his has cranky spells, can you be more specific? Is he just nursing more often but calms when breastfed or is he sometimes inconsolable? If he seems in pain while cranky, it could be due to the oversupply. In an oversupply situation, the infant gets more lactose and sometimes their bodies have a hard time digesting the extra lactose. Block feeding will help to relieve that. You would need to stick to one breast only for a period of 4-6 hours whenever the infant nurses.

As far as pumping, my best suggestion is to use an efficient pump and get fitted for the correct flange size. As far as the nursing in public, try joining a local support group like LLL for help with that. The moms have a lot of experience nursing in public and can give you some great tips. You can also invest in a great carrier and practice in front of the mirror. This may make you more comfortable and realize no one will probably notice.

Should breastfeeding be messy? It's normal to be messy and it's normal not to be messy. I know that probably didn't help you much but it's true. There's so many different variations of normal when it comes to breastfeeding. But it seems like you do have an oversupply and that will make things very messy. Look into Milkies! They can collect the milk so you can save it when you leak. They are wonderful!

I was thinking about oversupply too. Other than that, it sounds pretty typical. If his fussy sessions are just being needy and not being in pain, I think you're good to go.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search