planning on breastfeeding

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Blue Eyes 409's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies I'm 29 weeks pregnant and I am having a amnio at 37 weeks to see if I can have the baby then so really I could have my baby as soon as 8 weeks. I have never breastfed before so this will be my first time.

Does anyone have any tips to prepare for breastfeeding?

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my new siggy
January 27th, 2014, 09:38 AM
rachelc0's Avatar 2 sons, 4 angel babies
i took a BF class and it was invaluable. but most of the stuff you read before hand will probably be forgotten. in the hospital is usually a lactacion nurse, and she is always a godsend. with Kale she tought me all the different positions and helped me determine what i was most comfortable with. helped me learn to latch and unlatch w/o pain. deinfetly utilize that person if your birthing center has one on staff.
06/09/2014 - Stillborn @ 39wks 6days
08/09/2014 - Miscarriage @ 5wks
09/03/2014 - Chemical Pregnancy
January 27th, 2014, 11:50 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
A breastfeeding class, attending a La Leche meeting or series of meetings, finding a breastfeeding moms group/support group locally. There are some good books such as the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.

January 29th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
KellyMom.com is also a great resource for breastfeeding.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
January 30th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Definitely look into a class, if you can. Another thing I highly recommend is reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. It really helped me!

Good luck!
January 30th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Veteran
YEs, I also believe enrolling to a BF class helps a lot. Because step-by-step nursing of the baby and how to deal with challenges are taught there.
February 1st, 2014, 09:42 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree that whatever you learn before hand really goes out the window. For me it did, anyway. You may have a baby that is a natural nurser and its smooth sailing, or you may have one that needs more help. Find some good lactation consultants in your area and see if your hospital has one (they should). Invest in some good nipple cream! I like earth mama angel baby the best. Be prepared to be really really BORED. The cluster feeding just goes on and on sometimes. DVR a bunch of shows, or get some red box dvds or something. Buy some books/magazines. Learn to crochet. Something. Get a boppy or something similar and lots of tank tops

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

February 14th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Veteran
Congratulations! Motherhood is one of the greatest thing in life a woman can experience and breastfeeding is definitely a great plan. Signing up here is one step in preparing yourself as you can ask other moms about parenting. You can also try to check out other websites, facebook groups and books about BF/ motherhood/ parenting.
March 1st, 2014, 01:56 PM
Lou_Lou1979's Avatar Expecting our first!
Find other mums who are breastfeeding, it helps massively. Good luck x

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search