6 month old not sleeping

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rachel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Super Mommy
My 6 month old is exclusively bfed, she is sooo different than my oldest who nursed for 45 min every 4-5 hours from the start. This one nurses 5-6min every couple hours and at night she can't stay awake to get a 'whole' feeding. So she's awake every hour! I'm so tired! I've tired letting her go to go back to sleep but she wakes everyone with her crying and I still end up having to feed her. I'm just not sure what to do! With my oldest had problems with her tummy when I started her on solids, she didn't end up really getting much till over 10 months... so we are nervous to try that. Our family dr wanted us to start at 4 months!if anyone has any advise I'll take it lol. Last night while not sleeping I read that she may not know how to fall asleep on her own, so starting today I'm going to wake her if she falls asleep nursing during the day and then lay her in her bad to all asleep there...

February 18th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Has she always slept that poorly? I know it's probably not helpful to hear, but some kids are just bad sleepers. Some need more time to learn to self-soothe and put themselves to bed. My 2 year old (30.5 months) is just now to a point where he can go to bed on his own and not waking through the night 2 and 3 times.

I would not recommend any form of sleep training at this age, though. I think she's much too young for that.
Keakie likes this.
February 18th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Super Mommy
Yes this is pretty normal for her. The first part of the night is her best, but of course that's before I go to bed! She'll sleep 2.5-3 hours then, from about 8:30. But after that I'm lucky if I get 2 full hours ever... I don't like the cry it out! I really feel a baby cries for a reason. I know that part of her sleep thing is because I hold her so much but she's only a baby for this short time. :0) I'm just going to have to 'enjoy ' not sleeping I guess, this too shall pass and I'll be sad when it does cause she'll be growing up.

February 19th, 2014, 04:26 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really think its normal. Shes still so young. This is why I co-slept with Nicholas. Would just pop him on the boob. Next feeding pop him on the other one. I got soooo much more sleep that way.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

February 19th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsailor288 View Post
I really think its normal. Shes still so young. This is why I co-slept with Nicholas. Would just pop him on the boob. Next feeding pop him on the other one. I got soooo much more sleep that way.
I totally agree.
February 19th, 2014, 07:38 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you are uncomfortable co-sleeping, get a co-sleeper or side car your crib to the side of your bed, then just kind of roll baby into it once she passes back out. Beats getting up and putting her back in crib or bassinet

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

February 21st, 2014, 06:16 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
My ebf'd daughter will be 6 months next week. She's never been a "good" sleeper either. She usually wakes every 2-4 hours. Sometimes it's more frequently and very occasionally we'll get a 5-6 hour stretch - but that's it. It's very tiring, but I'm not overly worried. We do everything we can to create a comfortable sleep environment for her, but we can't MAKE her stay asleep.

Sleep training or CIO isn't something that we're comfortable with so we're just rolling with it. I'm not sure that either of those would work for dd anyway.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your sleeping arrangements? Do you/would you be willing to co-sleep? Can you nurse her on your side? That would at least allow you to just pop a boob in her mouth every time she wakes up without having to get up and around yourself. It wouldn't stop her from waking frequently (or maybe it would - some babies sleep much better next to another person, especially Mama) but it would limit the disruption to your own sleep and leave you feeling a bit more rested. We co-slept for the first two months and it was a life saver. I would have stuck with it for awhile longer, but it stopped working for my dd and she started sleeping better in her own space. It was great while it lasted, though, and on those nights where she's up every hour I really wish she would just nurse in bed with me so I didn't have to keep getting up.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
March 1st, 2014, 12:54 PM
Lou_Lou1979's Avatar Expecting our first!
My DD was similar sleep wise. She was ebf. I waited until she was 7 months and started sleep training. It took only a couple of nights for her to go from waking multiple times and being impossible to settle to waking just once and settling pretty well, and then another few nights to get her to sleep thru completely and barely a whimper when settling down to bed. we had a few blips since then (shes 15 months now) but nothing major. Sounds like she wants her mummy rather than milk really in the middle of the night, that was what my DD was like too, good luck x

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search