Nipple confusion? And hunger cues?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2014, 05:01 AM
Hi all! Have a 5 1/2 week old son (my first), and I am breast feeding him. I am currentlyon maternity leave from my day job but I am also self employed and have been back at work with that. As such, LO does need to have a bottle if expressed milk here and there.

This past week he seems to be developing nipple confusion. After a day in which he had to take the bottle several times, he becomes cranky and frantic about breast feeding and this often results in a meltdown and an overtired baby. It is frustrating for all of us

We did have to introduce him to the bottle very early - my milk did not come in for almost the whole first week and he became jaundiced, so we had to supplement formula until my milk supply arrived. Now, I have an ample supply and we deal with a bit over OALD but I think that is being managed just fine. I actually think the bottle is more difficult for him to eat from than the breast. We do use an infant nipple with the bottle.

In 6 weeks I will return to my desk job too and so he will be unfortunately feeding primarily from the bottle. I would like to keep BFing him when I can.

Any suggestions for maintaining the BFing while also having to bottle feed?

Also, I find my LO asks to eat constantly- often right after a feed. Sometimes I wonder if he actually needs something else but only knows the cues for asking to eat? Is this possible? He will often ask to eat and then I'll latch him on but he won't eat. He eats about every 45 minutes, which is really tough on me and I wonder if he's over eating. He was 9.7 at birth, dropped to 8.6 after birth, and up to 11.14 at 5 weeks - a very healthy gain!

Any thoughts?

Last edited by lwsmama; May 12th, 2014 at 05:06 AM.
May 12th, 2014, 05:09 AM
I also should add that he sleeps well at night, usually a 5 hour stretch fr 10p - 3a, and then two 2-hour stretches. Once up for the day he becomes a marathon BF'er!
May 12th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
What kind of nipples are you using on the bottles? I would use the slowest flow you can find because he'll have to work harder for the milk like he does when breastfeeding. Another thing you can do is hand express some milk before offering him the breast, so that it's on your nipples and he can taste it right away.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search