tongue tie

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Who has experience with it??

I had my DD on the 8th. I notice the next day some pain & a white line across my nipple after nursing. She seen the Dr today who says she has a slight tongue tie. She is going to leave it for now, unless it continues to cause me issues. She said its a quick, painless procedure, but as mom, it worries me!!

July 14th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I have no experience, but I hope you can either fix it or work with it! Good luck!
July 15th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Sapphera's Avatar NTNP Host
My DD had tongue tie and had to get it snipped (we had it done by a lactation consultant). She cried for about 10 seconds and they encourage them to feed right after to help.

After that, it didn't seem to bother her. You have to continue to "stretch" the webbing between the tongue and mouth for about a week while it heals so it doesn't heal together (and re-tie). That was unpleasant for both of us, but it's just a few times a day (and it didn't hurt her..but she didn't like me sticking my fingers in her mouth!).
NTNP #2
July 18th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphera View Post
My DD had tongue tie and had to get it snipped (we had it done by a lactation consultant). She cried for about 10 seconds and they encourage them to feed right after to help.

After that, it didn't seem to bother her. You have to continue to "stretch" the webbing between the tongue and mouth for about a week while it heals so it doesn't heal together (and re-tie). That was unpleasant for both of us, but it's just a few times a day (and it didn't hurt her..but she didn't like me sticking my fingers in her mouth!).
Thanks for the info. DD is going in today to have hers clipped.

July 18th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So, the ped said she had this issue. The ENT says no. He really examined it too, so I trust what he says. I'm glad this isn't the issue, because I didn't want her to have anything clipped. But, it would have been an easy fix for the problems we are having. Why is something so natural so dang hard?

August 13th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have had 2 children with a tongue tie. Both had their revision done within a few days of their birth. The procedure was very quick and neither one seemed to be affected by it (I watched my midwife clip my 3rd daughter's tongue tie).

One thing I have learned is that a doctor cannot always determine if a tongue tie is causing an issue just based on how it looks. If you are having issues with nursing, then it needs to be addressed as a possibility. Your best option is to see a certified lactation consultant to address your nursing issues. She should also be able to look at your daughter's tongue tie and help you determine if that is the issue or if there could be another underlying cause.

Unfortunately, I don't trust doctors on this issue. With my first daughter, I got a runaround about her tongue and whether they could clip it. One doctor said it was fine, another said it should be revised. My nipples were severely cracked, bleeding and raw after just 36 hours, so there definitely an issue! With my 3rd daughter, she had a lip tie, which I brought up to our doctor at a well-child visit. She told me it wasn't a problem and to leave it. 6 months after her 2 top front teeth came in, they were showing signs of decay because of the lip tie. I ended up seeing a local dentist and she said it was one of the worst lip ties she had seen. Unfortunately, doctors are not always very knowledgeable about tongue or lip ties and how they can affect breastfeeding.

Don't give up mama, definitely keep pushing to find answers!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search