Newbie Here

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Super Mommy
Hello! I have a 6 day old daughter named Makena Renee

I am so sore and I don't know what to do. I keep checking her latch and it looks fine to me but my nipples are cracked and one is bleeding. I am in so much pain that I feel like crying everytime I have to feed.

I have been using lanolin and I try to keep my breasts out to get air whenever possible...they leak everywhere- day and night. It makes it really hard to let them air dry when I am soaked.

Wow- I never knew how hard this would be

Kailani Reece Arriving Soon!
April 25th, 2005, 11:38 AM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
soothies, soothies, soothies~!!!! I think Walgreens still carries them. They are a godsend to sore nipples.

Make sure that they are dry BEFORE you put the lanolin on them and even put a tiny bit on them BEFORE you nurse dd. This will reduce friction. I would suggest having her latch evaluated by an IBCLC.

I totally get the leaking! That was the reason that I was sore, because I couldn't keep them dry!

Make sure her mouth is WAY open and then basically "cram" your brest into her mouth. You might try a different hold and see if you can reduce more friction that way.

CONGRATS on your dd and nursing. The first few weeks are tough, but well worth it in the long run!

Tracy
April 25th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Super Mommy
What are soothies...we don't have a walgreens here

April 25th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
First of all, congrats on your new baby!!
I had the same exact problem. Cracked, sore, bleeding nipples. Ouch! But it only lasted the first two weeks and then it completely went away. You might just need to tough it out another week or so. Then it will get better I promise! Once this part is over, you will be so glad you didn't give up. With breastfeeding, sometimes you just have to white knuckle it through a feeding, but you will never regret it! Hang in there, keep using the lanolin, and keep seeking out support.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 25th, 2005, 07:45 PM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
http://www.puronyx.com/

they are hard to come by in Illinois .... hopefully, you'll have better luck! Oh, and you can use them for awhile. My niece used hers for up to 2 weeks before she replaced them.

Good Luck!!
Tracy
April 25th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Ana_and_Gage's_Mommy
There are various brands of what were called soothies, gerber has some that you can find in the baby section of most grocery stores. They do work wonders!!!

I agree, get a lactation consultant to check your latch, hospital lactation consultants will generally help you for FREE, try calling.

I also agree, the first few weeks are the thoughest in the pain area, after that if it doesnt get better, there is definatly something up with babies latch.

Keep up the good work mom, breastfeedin is hard, it is easy for very few people, but so worth the hard start, it WILL get easier and much more enjoyable if you stick with it.

Cyndee

April 26th, 2005, 01:55 PM
smacsmom
Breastfeeding is soo hard and can be soo painful.....but in the end it is so rewarding. With my first daughter it took everything in me to keep doing it, but she nursed for 11 months and it broke my heart when she weened herself. I am now nursing again and it is painful this timea round, but is getting much better. Keep up the lanolin and air drying, it seriously could have everything to do with the latch. Good Luck!! I know that it'll get better!!
April 27th, 2005, 06:34 AM
lynn_uk's Avatar Super Mommy
Have you guys heard of Kamillosan? It's lanolin based but has 11% camomile extract in it and is wonderful. Don't know if it's better than the lanolin by itself but might be worth a try.

Congrats Tina, Ross is now almost 4 weeks old and I had the same problems you are having. I lost a complete layer of skin on my nipples and the new skin underneeth seems to be much tougher, so you can't have long to go.

I also gave up on disposable breast pads, they don't work nearly as well as the washable ones in keeping you dry.

April 27th, 2005, 04:56 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How is it going now Tina? I'm in California also, and I'm pretty sure I've seen the soothies at Walmart.
Keep us posted on how you're doing!!!

</div>
April 28th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Sweet Louison's Avatar Veteran
as far as breast pads go...i use the lansinoh ones from walmart they seem to keep me the driest...but make sure you change them after you leak....

Hollie
May 3rd, 2005, 12:50 PM
Super Mommy
I got the Soothies ($12 for one pair) and they only lasted 2 days. They did work great but that will get expensive!

I am hanging in there...it hasn't been easy. Makena wants to eat about every hour and a half...and nurses for 45 minutes to an hour each time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search