Etopic and tubal loss; trying to cope

Forum: Grief and Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Grief and Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Newbies
My name is Erin and I'm new to this forum, my husband suggests that I probably talk to a counselor but thought this might be a good place to at least start.

I was about 6 1/2 weeks pregnant and actually found out two days before our wedding, my husband was such a bubble full of excitement and me, well, in a weird way I was afraid to get excited because I had lost my right fallopian tube and ovary last December due to a cyst that ruptured and just didn't want to get too hopeful. Well, anyways, I went in for round two of ultra sounds as my doctor couldn't find a pole, sac or heartbeat the first time around. The painful news was that still at around 6 1/2 weeks there was no sight of a pole, sac or heartbeat in my uterus and therefore was determined to be etopic.

I went in for surgery this past Wednesday, November 7th and what was supposed to be a same day surgery ended up turning into a day and a half visit in the hospital. My doctor, bless his heart, spent over an hour trying to save my left fallopian tube as it was my only one and sadly could not as the pregnancy was too close to the uterus.

I know I should be grateful and blessed to still have what my doctor says is one healthy ovary and a healthy uterus, but I guess it's just now starting to sink in that not only did I lose our baby at 6 1/2 weeks, but that it is impossible for me to get pregnant unless we undergo IVF. I'm truly glad that IVF is an option, but of course I just get freaked out. Wondering; will it take, how expensive is it going to be, will my insurance cover it, what if I can't carry the baby full term, what if I bleed to death.....

The emotional ups and downs from having gone through two major surgeries in a year is just so overwhelming. I can't help but to feel in some crazy way, like I failed my husband. Obviously I logically know it's not my fault but when he was so excited, it just broke my heart to deal with this loss.

Just looking for an ear to listen, I suppose. Thank you for this great outlet for so many who have gone through such a terrible loss and painful experience.

Erin

November 9th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry for your loss, both of the pregnancy and of the chance for you and your husband to conceive naturally.

I'm glad you ovary and your uterus are healthy. Perhaps you can search for financial aid for IVF. I know they exist, although I don't know of any specific ones since I have never been through it.

November 9th, 2008, 07:31 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Erin, first of all I am so sorry for your loss and for the loss of your only tube. I don't have much time right now, so forgive me for being brief. If you want, you may want to also post this in the pregnancy loss board or in the recurrent pregnancy loss area. I host the RPL board & even though you have lost one angel - there ARE women on that board that may be able to give you good feedback on your options & can understand your feelings over the loss of your tube, as we have members that have lost both tubes as well. There is also at least one "honorary" member there now that also lost one angel & she ended up getting to know us all quite well & has been a member with us for over a year - so please don't think you won't be welcomed with open arms.

I wish you all the best & am so very sorry for the loss of your angel.

Much love & prayers for some peace for you~
Beckie

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

November 9th, 2008, 01:02 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so very sorry for your double loss... what an aweful thing to have to deal with.

I have both tubes and ovaries, BUT I also have to do IVF to get pregnant. It can be a struggle to come to terms with, especially when it happens in such a harsh, immediate kind of way like yours (unlike something like mine, which sunk in over the course of a year+). But pregnancy IS possible. IVF isn't as bad as some people think... for me it's just a way of life, in a way, a means to a baby. I am sure you will find lots of support in your journey. Feel free to PM me anytime.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
November 9th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I'm so sorry for your loss

I had an ectopic pregnancy last year & lost one of my fallopian tubes, but of course that isn't anywhere near as hard as what you're going through. JM is a wonderful forum & I have had so much support - in general, from the ladies here

November 12th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rylie's Mom Send a message via MSN to Rylie's Mom
I am so sorry for your loss. I don't know much about IVF but I really do hope its a good option for you and your DH and that everything works out.
November 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
Hugs I am very sorry.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search