Loss of an animal

Forum: Grief and Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Grief and Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2009, 04:01 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know if this is the right place to ask about this.

Is anyone else suffering grief from the loss of an animal? I lost my little guinea pig Sam over a year ago but I still find things set me off. I've never been so deeply affected by losing a pet before. Sam was special because he was the first animal my husband and I brought into the family after we moved in together. He had a very sad past and was never the strongest, healthiest creature. He was the runt of the little, and a nervous little thing. He never really grew that big. I always had a feeling he wouldn't be with us long, right from the start. He was only 2 and a half years old when we lost him.

He was a baby-substitute for a long while because we didn't think we could have children. Then, when our eldest came along she and Sam developed such a bond. Although she was only about 8 months old when we lost him she remembers him and says his name whenever she sees his photo.

We have four beautiful furbabies now and we love them all dearly but I don't know why I can't stop tearing up over the memory of Sam. I grew up with animals and although losing a pet is always sad losing Sam hit me so hard.

Is anyone else here finding it hard to get over losing a precious animal?

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

February 10th, 2009, 01:46 PM
x tracey x's Avatar Super Mommy
awww blesss hun pets are considerded as family members so when they do go its like losing a family member. and the fact u saw him as your baby u were very close to him xx
February 12th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Thanks for your thoughts, honey. Pets really do become a part of the family x x

Co-Host of

February 13th, 2009, 01:50 PM
i sort of know how u feel we had 2 kittens and we had to rehouse them as bailey had an allergy to them it broke my heart when they went
February 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM
That's such a shame is he allergic to all animal fur?

Co-Host of

February 15th, 2009, 08:01 AM
well we are not sure as he is ok with other animals and fur but he came up in a rash and had swollen eyes whenever he touched to cats
February 19th, 2009, 12:13 PM
going4it's Avatar Super Mommy
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!! ME ME ME ME ME!!!!

This just happened on 1/13/09. I copied and pasted from my Facebook, because to type it out would make it all start all over again.

Copied from my Facebook..

I'm not doing too good. I can't get the image of his jaw/face out of my head. I can't imagine what else would have done it. I wanted to take a picture but I just couldn't. There was no external bleeding, but you could see all the blood pooled up under his chin, so much bruising. His mouth was so swollen that his tongue was up and sideways and hanging out. It was horrible. He could have been hit by a car but we've never seen him near the street, he's always in the yard. I just don't know but I can't stop thinking of him. Mason cried tuesday night when Ken took JT to the vet. We got a call at 2:30 am wed saying that he wasn't responding to the meds and he was worse than they thought. We made the decision to put him down, but asked them to keep him comfy so I could come in the morning after Mason got on the bus and be with JT when they put him to sleep. My mom went with me. We spent time with him and I swear he was still in pain even though he was on pain meds. We cried and cried and than let them inject him. I held him wihle he passed. We cried and cried for a long time more, than they put him in a kitty coffin and we took him home. We waited for Mason to come home from school and told him that JT's injuries were too severe and he was gone. Mason bawled his eyes out for an hour. Ken and I had dug a grave in out back garden (a fav spot of JT's) and than we had a kitty funeral. Ken and MAson put the dirt on the grave. We were all just numb last night. It sucked and it still does. Who the )*&^ would hurt our kitty and cause this much pain? That's the problem, I don't know who it could be.

Sp, yes. I am still in a great deal of pain. Especially to think that some horrible sick human could hurt our precious kitty. He was an indoor/outdoor (more like revolving door) kitty, who took great pleasure in coming in and going out...all day long.

I just re-read my note and realize it doesn't really say....but what happened is that someone kicked our kitty, from the jaw, up. I was having nightmares for 2 weeks of his face. The only thing that got the nightmares to stop was 2 wks after JT died, my son got very sick and was in the hospital for 6 days with a collapsed lung and pnuemonia.

I'm sorry you are still hurting. I COMPLETELY understand how you feel.
February 20th, 2009, 02:29 PM
omg thats awful hun how cruel can some ppl be must of been an awful time for u and your family.
February 21st, 2009, 02:08 AM
Oh honey, that is absolutely awful and I am *so* sorry for your loss. That's an absolutely terrible thing to happen and so heartbreaking to hear of. I can't believe how cruel some people are in this world. I can't believe anyone would do something so awful

I'm holding you and your family in my thoughts and prayers x x Do you have any other animals or was your kitty your only furbaby? x

Co-Host of

February 26th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I just lost my little hamster Abi on Tuesday night

She showed no sign of being unwell earlier in the day but at bedtime she was motionless and all huddled up. I think she may have had another stroke - she had ne last year and we thought we had lost her then but she made an amazing recovery. I feel so sad that fater nursing her back to health from then we've lost her so suddenly.

This has been a horrible week

Co-Host of

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search