Gtky 1/4

Forum: Grief and Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Grief and Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2011, 08:25 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Do you have any pets?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
January 4th, 2011, 10:46 AM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear
Nope, our apartment is too small to have any pets.
January 4th, 2011, 04:05 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
3 dogs and a cat.
Riley & Jasmine are springer spaniels, Tucker is a springer/brittany mix I rescued, and of course the cat, Binks, (black cat of course) came from the shelter.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

January 4th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
We have two cats, a dog, and a leopard gecko.

The oldest cat (Pixie-because she was a little trouble maker) was rescued as a stray by one of DH's coworkers and needed a good home once she nursed her back to health. The younger cat (Dory-after the fish on Finding Nemo) is a shelter kitty. We decided to just stop in look, hadn't planned on actually getting another pet.

Olive (after Olive Oyl on Popeye), the dog, is a shelter puppy (shepherd/hound mix). She will be the last shelter pet we get. At least from here. She was an expensive pup! She was behind on her shots, had lyme disease, had worms, and had a very bad UTI (to the point that she had BLOOD in her urine!) when we got her. The staff *did* know about her UTI. I had called to ask if they knew how long it had been going on and they said "at least a few days before she was adopted." We really didn't have the money for the massive vet bills that she racked up but contract stated that if we didn't keep her she went back to them and there was no way I was allowing that! Add in the spay surgery and she cost us approximately $1000 at the vet in the first month we had her! (Then there was the $75 adopt fee and the $300 I spent on toys, food, dog house etc. the day we got her.)

The leopard gecko (Pacman-cuz baby lizards can eat!) is a Petsmart pet.

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
January 4th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Augie you may be better off going to a rescue for a dog (next time). Tucker came from springer rescue and they neutered him, did his heartworm/lyme testing, got him up to date on shots, gave me a couple months of heartworm prevention for free, etc. It was very nice.

January 4th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Know of any good sites for finding rescues?

January 4th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Check petfinder.com but your best bet might be in asking local vets, trainers, groomers, if they know of any good ones. Not all rescues are created equal!! If you have a local petsmart or petco see what groups they work with.

If you know a paticular breed you want try breed rescue. Watch out for rescues that bring dogs up from the south, they generally don't know anything about these dogs. You want to find a rescue that fosters their dogs for 2 weeks or more, that way they get to know the dog and if its a good match for you or not.

Shelter dogs can be great dogs, but unfortunately most shelters cant afford to care for the dogs the way they need to. Tucker was in a shelter originally, they couldnt adopt him for over a year or afford any of his care, so they gave him to rescue. He was in bad shape but they got him well before adopting him out.

Even my cat I got from a shelter up in the mountains, but they tested him for all feline diseases, vaccinated, neutered, and gave me a clean bill of health.

My other 2 dogs came from a breeder and oh the bills... so many health problems.

Sorry you went through so much with your pup and hope it gets better! She's lucky to have you!

January 4th, 2011, 06:27 PM
We've had her for a while now...thinking we got her June '08? She's definitely gotten better! Nothing but healthy visits now! Same for the kitties. One came with ear mites and one had fleas and worms. All have been healthy for years. ((Though Olive came close to a sick visit last week!))

January 4th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Well thats good to hear!!

January 7th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Brighteyed & Caffeinated
Send a message via MSN to mommy2olliebeans
No pets here... But I've had turtles, cats, dogs

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search