Merry Meet Sisters

Forum: Pagan Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pagan Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2009, 10:29 PM
sailorserpent's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to sailorserpent Send a message via Yahoo to sailorserpent
Merry Meet Sisters

I am still very new to the Pagan ways. I have next to no time and even less money to get what I need. I have been told I can make the tools myself and they would be more in tune with me and my needs for their use, but I have no idea where to start. I want and feel I need guidance in my attempt to learn. The book I have been able to read left me more confused then when I started. Could some one please give me a starting point?
January 17th, 2009, 04:08 AM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
Hiya

Well if your looking for a wand, look for a discarded stick in your local wooded area, somethnig that has naturally fallen off of a tree etc and things like that really help. What sort of path are you on, generally pagan or Wiccan? x
But I’ll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

January 17th, 2009, 04:57 AM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wlcome to the forum!!! I'm glad you came here!!
In terms of physical possessions for an alter or what not, you really don't need anything besides your self! Everything else is just an added plus if you can find them.

Earth can be represented by a rock or a bowl/pile of dirt or even salt, fire can be represented by a small candle or knife (even a kitchen knife will work if you choose to put the energy in it) or a wand (found stick that you've put your energy into), Water can be as simple as a kitchen glass or bowl filled with water, and Air can be incense, a found feather. There are many more things you can use, I'm sure others will post and I've actually just started a post to get other's opinions!

Some of us here are new on their paths and are still learning like you (I'm one of those), and some of us have been on thier paths for a while and have a ton to offer!!

I'mnot exactly sure on a starting points. Some of the other forums I'm on suggest getting a good sense of the history of Paganism and the tradition you are interested in while others choose to start where it most interests that person.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

January 17th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Welcome! I hope you will enjoy being part of this board.

Many of us here are learning, me included: I have, I guess, been practising Paganism and witchcraft for years but didn't know that's what I was doing.

It's difficult to give you a starting point because one thing that has definitely come through to me when looking at this religion is that it's about following your heart. What activities make you feel spiritual? What is it that most attracts you to Paganism? Do you have a creative interest you want to spend more time on, do you feel a connection with nature and want to spend time in nature more or do something to help local wildlife?

Think about what it is you're looking for from Paganism, and start from that point.

You don't need many tools or even any tools to practice Paganism or witchcraft. You can use prayers and invocations and your own will for your spiritual development. Regular prayer and/or meditation would be beneficial in that sense...

January 20th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Send a message via MSN to sailorserpent Send a message via Yahoo to sailorserpent
I was looking in to wiccan but I'm not sure about the "and it harm not do what ye will". I understand that the wicca is a very peacful and loving religion, but if someone hits you cann you not hit them back? I know the 3 fold rule, does that apply to the person that just hit you? I'm a very caring person but if someone mistreats me or my family i will retaliate. are there exceptions to the rule?
January 20th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Quote:
I was looking in to wiccan but I'm not sure about the "and it harm not do what ye will". I understand that the wicca is a very peacful and loving religion, but if someone hits you cann you not hit them back? I know the 3 fold rule, does that apply to the person that just hit you? I'm a very caring person but if someone mistreats me or my family i will retaliate. are there exceptions to the rule?[/b]

You would be protecting your self and your family in that case and your actions are understood as that. From my understanding its more so about you going out and being the one to harm another for your gain or just because you feel like hurting them, through physical actions or energy and spell work. In the case of the 3 fold rule you would be protecting your self and unleashing that first reaction from the intruder on your safety's action.
I follow those things, however at this point I do not consider my self wiccan, so maybe someone else will be able to correct me if I'm wrong.

January 20th, 2009, 01:48 PM
SandyJ's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I was looking in to wiccan but I'm not sure about the "and it harm not do what ye will". I understand that the wicca is a very peacful and loving religion, but if someone hits you cann you not hit them back? I know the 3 fold rule, does that apply to the person that just hit you? I'm a very caring person but if someone mistreats me or my family i will retaliate. are there exceptions to the rule?[/b]
I would caution against going after anyone magically. The 3 fold rule does caution that anything you put out into the Universe will come back to you 3 times over. The Universe does not distinguish between "a valid attack for the purposes of protecting my family" and an "invalid attack for malicious purposes". Both attacks will come back to the caster 3 fold. If your intent is to attack and harm another, it will come back to you no matter what motivated it. This would allow your attacker to continue to harm you and amplify the harm by tricking you into harming yourself.

What I would recommend is learning how to protect yourself and your family and how to cast positive, protective magic which will go out into the Universe and come back to you 3 fold, protecting you and your family and bringing you positive things 3 times over. Don't worry about punishing your attacker. The Universe will take care of that, because your attacker will receive what s/he is putting out into the Universe 3 times over as well. If you are putting out positive, protective energy and your attacker is performing harmful, malicious acts, the Universe will take notice.

If you do decide to hit someone back, you will need to be prepared for the consequences. That is the heart of the 3 Fold Rule and why Wicca teaches "do no harm". Its for your protection, not the protection of those who would hurt you.

We would be happy to answers questions here if you have any! You are likely to get a variety of responses as we all follow different paths!

January 22nd, 2009, 03:11 AM
I'm not Wiccan either, but I do follow the threefold law, I agree with Sandy and think she has put it very well.

January 22nd, 2009, 08:12 PM
what is the difference between the wicca and celtic religion?
January 23rd, 2009, 01:59 AM
They are both still part of Paganism...I think the Celtic ways are a tradition as opposed to a wholly separate religion...but I'm not sure on this. I will have to research it a little at home and get back to you.

January 23rd, 2009, 05:21 AM
I don't know much about the difference but I do know that Wicca is a 'new' movement it isn't specificly based on an ancient religion. The celtic /druid tradition is based on the ancient druid religion.. There isn't any written records of this religion, but there is suggestions and information by way of other written items in history, and from that druidism has again become an active traditon, However it is based on speculation of what it once was. There are other celtic traditions but I don't really know enough to talk about it.

Druidism actually isn't from ireland/scotland at all, it started on ancient mainland europe (in a country that now starts with an A .. lol I can't think of it right now) and before the stones were even ericted and other ancient items that we know of in history, the druids moved over to the ireland/scotland and made a new home. I found that out recently and found it very interesting.

January 23rd, 2009, 05:24 AM
Austria?

That IS interesting...I didn't know that I thought the Druids - and Celtic/Gaelic people generally - originated in Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

January 23rd, 2009, 05:45 AM
I've got to ask my mom, she practices druidism and actually has done so for years, she actually got into her faith after doing tons and tons of research on history in general. She's the type of person that you can ask about ancient events and wars and such and she can tell you what led up to it, who was involved and the results. Not something you'd expect from a farmer. LOL

January 23rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
She sounds very cool!

January 29th, 2009, 06:43 PM
your mom sounds really awesome, stones. I also learned that most wiccans are very knowledgable in other religions. Is there a "heaven" and a "hell" in pagan religions? Do we just disappear after death, are we reincarnated, or do we go some where else?
January 30th, 2009, 04:49 AM
It depends on the Pagan religion!

I don't personally believe in hell as a physical place. I think hell is a self-made state. I think there is a place where we rest in between incarnations which some would call Summerland, Avalon etc depending on the Pagan tradition they belong to - I just call it a different state - the fourth dimension.

I think some Pagans believe in a hell or an underworld, in any case. I don't know a lot about it. I think that would be the Nordic traditions like Asatru. But as an eclectic Pagan, you can believe what resonates as true in your heart.

Nice to see you again! Please do feel free to join in with all the discussions.

January 30th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Roman pagans believe in two places, but they are not like the Christian Heaven and Hell. The Underworld is a place where all deceased mortals go. It has areas of punishment for evil doers, and areas of reward for virtuous folk (the Elysian Fields). And then the other location is Mount Olympus where the gods reside. Only truly exceptional mortals who are granted deification get to go to Olympus (in legend typically heroes or half mortal/half divine children of women and gods).

I personally believe in reincarnation but I do not believe in past lives (i.e. that we can know about our past lives while on earth). I am an eclectic pagan.

January 30th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I've been looking back on some of the research I did on different pagan religions and there is always something there that i really don't agree with, there is also something there that I beleive is true. It's like, if i could mix all the pagan religoins together I'd have what i beleive to be true. I was raise christian, everything you do is evil and nothing you can do to change it. I found that to be unfair and untrue. My grandfather, rest his soul, was the biggest bible thumper I have ever met. Mom says she's christian but it seem she's more athiest. I know it's human nature to beleive in a higher power, and i truly beleive there is. But I don't beleive that it is just a "man". I don't beleive that a woman is being "punished" for eating an apple from a fobidden tree. There is more I know it. But what is truth with out lies right, or says my mom. I am a math and science person, but I know there is a mystical side to science, a part that just can not be explained no matter how you try. What you see isn't always what it seems, right? I want to be able to use what can not be explained to improve what i can. Granted you can't change everything.

So my question is can you choose what you want to beleive from different pagan religions, or is it the "you get what you get"?
January 30th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I think you'll find it is more common to find "eclectic" pagans than "traditionalist" pagans. Eclectic pagans take what is useful and meaningful to them from many traditions. Traditionalist pagans follow a specific pagan religion like Wicca. Neither is more or less pagan. I myself am eclectic.

January 31st, 2009, 07:09 AM
Paganism really seems to be a very open and independent religion. While there are overriding truths and laws which are universally applicable, such as the threefold law, the belief in an unseen force and the reverence of nature and its cycles, how you practice Paganism is really down to you. I really am eclectic. I still work with Christian saints, Ascended Masters from a variety of traditions, Angels and Archangels as well as faeries, animals, crystals, herbs, etc!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search