Tarot, anyone?

Forum: Pagan Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pagan Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Do you have a tarot deck?

Which tarot deck are you most drawn to, is there any particular reason?

January 26th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a tarot deck but I've never been able to click with them. I'm not quite sure what they are and when I bought them I had no idea there were so many kinds. I would like to try with them again but I think I need to find a deck that's a better 'fit' for me, if that makes sense!

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

January 26th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
I've got 3 different sets of tarot and one set of playing cards that I read frequently for myself and for others.

Sasha Fenton Deck That was passed to me from my mother (which was passed to her from one of her coven sisters). These are my favourite cards to read.

Titania's Star Tarot that my husband bought for me when we were last in England. These are interesting in that they actually incorporate astrology into the readings. They're great to use for trying to narrow down specific "who"s and "when"s.

One World Tarot that also uses astrology in the readings. These are just gorgeous cards. I picked these up in Salem, MA when I lived up that way. They are very difficult to read, though.

The playing cards are your average, run-of-the-mill Bicycle cards. We've been doing playing card readings in my family for generations (as is the Rom way).

January 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM
The first cards I ever learned to read were regular playing cards. I can't remember why I actually stopped - probably because I resonated more with New Age oracles like Archangel cards and Crystal Ally cards, and got so much more out of those readings.

I am attracted to Tarot but have always felt unworthy of it. I am working with a Wisdom of Avalon deck at the moment which is similar to tarot with a major and minor set and similar meaning cards. I think this is moving me towards wanting to work with a Tarot deck.

The only ones I have ever been drawn to are these, which I fell upon quite by chance one day:
http://www.shadowscapes.com/Tarot/info.php

But these are not available yet. Maybe by the time they are, I'll be ready to read Tarot!

I love my other oracle cards and am drawn to set after set and yes, I do use them all in different capacities. I'm going to end up with people thinking I'm a funny eccentric person who collects them, lol.

I love the images in that Sasha Fenton deck.

January 26th, 2009, 01:43 PM
That Shadowscapes deck is gorgeous! I would definitely get those if for nothing more than the artistic beauty of them. That would be a good spell deck, I think, rather than reading.

I checked out the figurines, as well.. thought the Emperor and Empress figures would make good God/dess altar statues... but 8.25" resin figures aren't worth $50 to me. :-/ Maybe if the price were halved.

January 26th, 2009, 07:10 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any decks, I used to have a few when I was yonger.. but never could read them. I've never had a reading done, either. LOL I don't really understand how to read them. I would like to learn, but I think I need some one to show me, because I get confused when reading books on it...

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

January 26th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Have you tried The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot or Tarot for Dummies? I've known quite a few people that couldn't wrap their heads around reading cards until they read those books.

Where do you seem to get lost when trying to read? Is it the card meanings? remember layouts? How the cards interact with one another?

January 27th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Bam, maybe the price will come down when the cards have been released awhile. I would love to get some of the prints when I move house, as you're right - they're beautiful artwork. They ARE pricy but I might just splash out on a few favourites. It depends what my flat is like when I find one, whether they would suit it.

When you say those cards would be better for spells, what do you mean exactly?

Would this deck be better for divination?

I would say it is most confusing trying to interpret the cards for individual questions and situations, especially how the cards interrelate to one another. There are so many meanings, and most of the cards have another meaning for reversals...that's what I'm finding challenging with my Wisdom of Avalon oracle.

I might get hold of one of those books when I do eventually buy a deck!

January 27th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Have you tried The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot or Tarot for Dummies? I've known quite a few people that couldn't wrap their heads around reading cards until they read those books.

Where do you seem to get lost when trying to read? Is it the card meanings? remember layouts? How the cards interact with one another?[/b]
Thank you for the links, I will try those books out. I guess I can honestly say I'm stumped at the start. I get the cards mixed up, try a lay out that is in the the little guide books that come with the cards and from there I don't quite understand how to interpret what the card means in accordance to the placement. I understand that certain cards represent the past, present, and future and such but I just can't figure out what to make of it all. And the different layouts also get me too. And how the cards interact with one another.. And last of all is there any meaning behind the fact that every time I lay the cards out 90% of them are upside down.. lol no matter how much I mix up the cards and what layout I do almost all of them are always upside down.... I figured it was just a sign that maybe I needed to stop trying. LOL

January 27th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Hex
I have one. The deck is guilded or gilded (not sure of the spelling) tarot.. it's just the normal rider waide or whatever deck.. which I feel most comfortable with i guess because that's what my first deck was.
My first deck had the meanings printed on the cards and my current one has a book that came with it that tells the meanings of all of the cards. lol. No patience.

January 27th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Where do you seem to get lost when trying to read? Is it the card meanings? remember layouts? How the cards interact with one another?[/b]
Thank you for the links, I will try those books out. I guess I can honestly say I'm stumped at the start. I get the cards mixed up, try a lay out that is in the the little guide books that come with the cards and from there I don't quite understand how to interpret what the card means in accordance to the placement. I understand that certain cards represent the past, present, and future and such but I just can't figure out what to make of it all. And the different layouts also get me too. And how the cards interact with one another.. And last of all is there any meaning behind the fact that every time I lay the cards out 90% of them are upside down.. lol no matter how much I mix up the cards and what layout I do almost all of them are always upside down.... I figured it was just a sign that maybe I needed to stop trying. LOL
[/b]
Before doing anything with the cards, try connecting with them and deciphering the meaning.. what's in the book isn't always what the cards mean to the reader. When you have quiet time, take a card from the deck and look at it... just look. Notice all the details. Then write down what you think the card means. The cards will talk to you, you just have to listen. ;-)

What's written in books is meant to be a guide. Not a solid, hard "Must-be-this-way-and-nothing-else" thing. If a layout doesn't make sense, make your own that does. I very rarely use the Celtic Cross layout (the most common used layout in books) and instead use one taught to me by my mother or one that I just up and made up one day. Also, don't try to read for others at first... just flip cards and read for yourself.

Cards often come up reversed when that specific energy is being blocked. If you're getting all or most of your cards reversed, it could just mean that you are blocking what the cards are trying to tell you.

January 27th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
Before doing anything with the cards, try connecting with them and deciphering the meaning.. what's in the book isn't always what the cards mean to the reader. When you have quiet time, take a card from the deck and look at it... just look. Notice all the details. Then write down what you think the card means. The cards will talk to you, you just have to listen. ;-)

What's written in books is meant to be a guide. Not a solid, hard "Must-be-this-way-and-nothing-else" thing. If a layout doesn't make sense, make your own that does. I very rarely use the Celtic Cross layout (the most common used layout in books) and instead use one taught to me by my mother or one that I just up and made up one day. Also, don't try to read for others at first... just flip cards and read for yourself.

Cards often come up reversed when that specific energy is being blocked. If you're getting all or most of your cards reversed, it could just mean that you are blocking what the cards are trying to tell you.
[/b]
Thank you for the info, alot of it makes sense. When I get some down time I'm going to try to work a little with some cards. What really made sense is what you said about the cards being reversed, I didn't even think of that being the problem. LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search