Herbs...

Forum: Pagan Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pagan Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2009, 07:28 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I bought seeds to grow parsley, sage, mint, thyme, oregano, rosemary and chamomile. I already have a thriving lavender from last year.

The parsley, sage and mint can be potted in February and the others need to wait until April...hopefully the frosts will stop after this coming weekend, and they'll be safe if I plant them. I avoided basil and coriander: even though they're my favourite herbs to cook with, I've tried growing them before both indoors and outdoors and they invariably die. Ultimately, these new ones are likely to be on a kitchen windowsill assuming I get a flat that isn't a garden flat - which is most likely.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for growing any of these?

Any good, unusual (etc) ideas for using them if they do grow?

I've just bought plastic pots for them for now and figured I would buy a nicer, bigger pot for each if they "take" - could any of them be co-planted in the same large pot? (I know mint can't).

I also bought some sprouting bulbs - tulips, bluebells and snowdrops. I'm hoping that when I get a flat, if it's a ground floor flat they can go on my doorstep (depends what I get) and I'm hoping to plant them each with summer flowers later in the year. In the meantime they will be in mum's garden: we're keeping them in until after the weekend because we're supposed to be getting heavy snow.

January 31st, 2009, 05:06 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I bought seeds to grow parsley, sage, mint, thyme, oregano, rosemary and chamomile. I already have a thriving lavender from last year.

The parsley, sage and mint can be potted in February and the others need to wait until April...hopefully the frosts will stop after this coming weekend, and they'll be safe if I plant them. I avoided basil and coriander: even though they're my favourite herbs to cook with, I've tried growing them before both indoors and outdoors and they invariably die. Ultimately, these new ones are likely to be on a kitchen windowsill assuming I get a flat that isn't a garden flat - which is most likely.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for growing any of these?

Any good, unusual (etc) ideas for using them if they do grow?

I've just bought plastic pots for them for now and figured I would buy a nicer, bigger pot for each if they "take" - could any of them be co-planted in the same large pot? (I know mint can't).

I also bought some sprouting bulbs - tulips, bluebells and snowdrops. I'm hoping that when I get a flat, if it's a ground floor flat they can go on my doorstep (depends what I get) and I'm hoping to plant them each with summer flowers later in the year. In the meantime they will be in mum's garden: we're keeping them in until after the weekend because we're supposed to be getting heavy snow.[/b]
The Chamomile can be dried and used for tea, If I remember correctly you snip the flowers off just as soon as they bloom and then hang them upside down to dry. Then you can put them in a tea strainer or muslin to steep in hot water to drink

The mint can be added to iced tea for an extra flavor.

I'm not sure what can all be planted together. probably everything except the chamomile and mint. Rosmary can get big if not cut back. And the sage can get tall or bushy depending on how you trim it.

My mom once gave me tulip bulbs. She took a shallow kitchen serving dish with medium sized rocks/stones. and she just took the bulbs and put them in the middle of the serving dish, kind of in a line and added some water. They sprouted up and grew and turned out great! It was a really cool gift! I've been wanting to make one my self but I can't find a platter that would look right, and I lost the one she gave me in a move.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

February 1st, 2009, 07:32 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
That sounds like a great gift!

I love chamomile tea and will definitely be trying to make it. So it's the flowers that make the tea? I'll try to look up some instructions on the internet - if it grows well!

The parsley, mint and oregano is primarily for cooking and I know you can use rosemary when cooking meats as well. I also use thyme when cooking chicken and stuff.

I got the sage hoping I can make smudge with it for myself. Sage smudge is so expensive.

The main reason I got the thyme was to attract the faeries lol! Same for the bluebells and snowdrops, so I hope they grow nice!

February 2nd, 2009, 03:50 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm hoping to try growing some herbs again this year but I know who'll end up with the parsley - the guinea pigs, as usual!

I love the flavour of mint in cooking, it's perfect with things like potatoes. I'm going to ask my parents for some cuttings of their mint - thet have literally an enrmous bush of it! Their garden smells lovely!

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search