Seeking spirtuality

Forum: Pagan Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pagan Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2009, 01:59 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Cassandie
Hello all, my name is Cassie. I have been reading through some topics on here to kind of maybe learn something, but decided to post and see what you guys could help me with.

When I was little, I went to church with my mom's friend. My mom never went, but I went to a southern baptist church in a small southern town, and it was all I knew. I had a hard time focusing on the lessons in Sunday School, and listening during the sermon. Since I've gotten older I've finally accepted the fact that maybe that is not for me, and I shouldn't feel pressured into a religion because it is "normal" or have to pretend to believe the same thing everyone else does. I decided to start researching other beliefs, and kind of tripped over paganism. After reading about Wicca, it amazed me that this is everything I have believed for years, the way I feel about certain things, put into words, and other people feel this way. I am so interested in anything and everything I can learn.

Do you have any recommendations for books/websites that will help a newbie to Wicca? I am a sponge.

Thanks ladies!
February 1st, 2009, 07:07 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello and WELCOME!!

I'm glad that you have found us here at the Pagan/Wiccan board!

I would totally suggest checking out 'Paganism' by Joyce and River Higginbotham. Its a basic starting book about Paganism, its talks about the very basics which alot of other books may not mention assuming you know the very basics. I am reading it and in the middle of it and I think it can help everyone!!

another book that I've heard that is good is 'Wicca; a guide for the solitary practitioner' by Scott Cunningham.

Good luck!! and feel free to jump in on any of the threads here!!

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

February 1st, 2009, 08:58 PM
Veteran
Thank you! I will check those out.I also found "Wicca and Witchcraft for Dummies' on the "For Dummies" website and was thinking about ordering that. I'm so glad to have a place where I can ask questions and read about this. Thank you for welcoming me!
February 1st, 2009, 09:05 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Hello and WELCOME!!

I'm glad that you have found us here at the Pagan/Wiccan board!

I would totally suggest checking out 'Paganism' by Joyce and River Higginbotham. Its a basic starting book about Paganism, its talks about the very basics which alot of other books may not mention assuming you know the very basics. I am reading it and in the middle of it and I think it can help everyone!!

another book that I've heard that is good is 'Wicca; a guide for the solitary practitioner' by Scott Cunningham.

Good luck!! and feel free to jump in on any of the threads here!![/b]
Is this the one? http://cgi.ebay.com/Paganism-An-Introducti...A1%7C240%3A1318
February 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM
Yep! thats the book!

February 1st, 2009, 10:01 PM
Veteran
Awesome! Hey, my husband doesn't work 9-5 either, LOL, and we are living on a Navy base right now. We are also from Georgia, originally.LOL!
February 2nd, 2009, 03:51 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I'm new here too. Isn't it amazing when it all suddenly comes together? I'm glad you've found the faith you feel you belong with x

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

February 2nd, 2009, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Awesome! Hey, my husband doesn't work 9-5 either, LOL, and we are living on a Navy base right now. We are also from Georgia, originally.LOL![/b]

What base are you guys at? Hubby is a submariner (as if you couldn't tell from the pics) so we are pretty limited to sub bases, currently we are at the sub base here in Kings Bay GA. Where are you origionaly from here in ga?

February 2nd, 2009, 01:37 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Welcome, Cassie!

Paganism came into my life pretty much the same way it came into yours! I had been on my "own path" for years after being brought up Christian, seeing truth in all religions but feeling aligned with none. When I read "Paganism" (the book Megan recommended) and then "Pagan Paths" by Steve Jennings, which is also excellent, everything clicked into place - I realised there was a name for the spirituality I had been practising for years.

Something I would say to you is that on this path much of the learning is experiential. Reading helps, of course, and knowledge is important; but wisdom comes from following your heart and living what you believe.

Some books I have found useful have been Rae Beth's "The Hedge Witch's Way" and Lucy Cavendish's "White Magic." You may also find this website useful - it contains a lot of information on the basics of Wicca and Paganism in bite-sized chunks.

Hope to see you around here again soon!

February 3rd, 2009, 07:27 AM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
Internet Suggestions:

http://www.paganismtoday.com/
http://www.religioustolerance.org/
http://www.witchvox.com/

And right here, of course. ;-)

February 3rd, 2009, 07:42 AM
SandyJ's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never been a book pagan, which is odd because my degree is in Literature and I love reading! For me personally my faith has always been experiential and I have learned through a number of awesome mentors. So I say ask lots of questions and find folks you can chat about religion with! If you can find a local pagan store or pagan group you can visit with on occasion, that would be an awesome resource! I'm not saying you have to join a coven, but it does help to have folks you can explore ideas with. Alot of solitaries I know still chat and occasionally circle with group folks in my area.

February 3rd, 2009, 09:33 AM
Veteran
Thanks ladies for all of your help! I can't wait to check out all of the resources listed!
February 3rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Cassie, I hope you will stick around and post here with us!

February 4th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Century Darkthorne's Avatar Angel Of Darkness
HI AND WELCOME! I wish I could give you some books i haven't read much about wicca in years except in wicca and witchcraft for dummies book. It is actually very informative if you'd like to give that a try and obviously very easy reading and understandable. :biggrin:

No I am not a Satanist. The 666 was a joke between me and a few friends of mine and it kind of stuck. So don't let it put you off from checking out my myspace or adding me. I don't bite.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search