Green, Kitchen, or Hedge Witch FAQ

Forum: Pagan Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pagan Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2010, 08:55 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Kitchen Witch
The kitchen is the heart of the home, and for many witches, where their potions and lotions are brewed Kitchen witches like to cook and place their energy and magic into the food for the well-being (physical and spiritual) of themselves and family. Think of a Domestic Goddess! Their focus is the home and family and finding spiritual meanings in everything they do. When they sweep, they sweep negativity away. When they do laundry, they may recite a charm to protect their family. Everything that is done is done with love and intent. The Kitchen Witch does not subscribe to any pantheon or deity belief. This is up to each individual practicioner.

Basic Herbs for the Kitchen Witch
sage , lavender , rosemary , basil , thyme, parsley, chives, oregano, cilantro, mint, tarragon

The Kitchen Witch's Creed

In this pot, I stir to the sun
an' follow the rule of harming none.

Banishment of bane when goin' widdershins;
an' with water and salt negativity is cleansed.

Household duties are more than chores.
Magick abounds when mopping floors.

With this broom, I do sweep
to clean my house and safely keep.

Marigold, Basil, Thyme, and Yarrow
my spell is cast for a better tomorrow.

Lemons for joy and apples for health
the pow'r within brings great wealth.

And, in this kitchen I do pray
To truly walk the Witches' Way

Green Witch
A Green Witch works with the energies of natural objects like stones, gems, herbs, animals, and the elements. Green Witches give thanks for all that is used. Green Witches are also very conscious of the impact they have on the Earth which may make it easier to define a Green Witch (“Green”).
A Green Witch may or may not have any Gods. This is a completely personal decision. A Green Witch does not necessarily have to have any view of the Divine for their craft to be called their religion.

Hedge Witch
A Hedge Witch is a witch who is a Shaman as well. They are connected to the village healers and lived beyond the hedge (woods that bordered the village) for easier access to their herbs. This is also metaphorical for crossing over into the Other Worlds (Shaman). The Hedge witches daily magic is very simple, not just consisting of spells but everything done during the day. They use their herbs to heal and cross over to the other realms to find the souls of those in need of healing. Just like you might read in other cultural history, hedge witches used to use ointments to help them enter trance to gain access to the other realms or speak with the spirits.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Last edited by Earthy.Mama; August 23rd, 2010 at 01:54 PM.
September 25th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I think a large part of being a Hedgewitch is the connection between Green Witchcraft and Shamanism. To learn more about Hedge Witchery one must study shamanism as well.

I am gradually working towards incorporating Shamanism into my beliefs (thus leading me down the path of Hedge Witch). My main thing is I utilize my dreams, as that is the astral. Ask for signs and work w/ dream interpretation and dream journaling. You'll be surprised what comes to you. Shamans also work closely with animals/animal guides.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

September 25th, 2010, 08:42 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
great info, thanks for sharing!

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

September 26th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Mystixism's Avatar Mistress of the Universe
Yes, thank you for sharing! I had been wondering what a hedge witch was for a while

September 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM
ressa_moonstar's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ressa_moonstar Send a message via Yahoo to ressa_moonstar
Thanks for posting the info.

September 27th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I describe myself as a wildwood witch, which I guess is a similar thing to a green witch? It's a term I found in a book and preferred to "hedge witch" or "kitchen witch". Interesting you post this because I am researching shamanism at the moment, I wonder if there's a message there for me...

September 27th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I saw that term in your post on GS and I was likening it to hedgewitch. Hedgwitchery is basically Green Witchcraft + Shamanism = Hedge Witch

Oh, definitely a sign

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

September 27th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
ahhh ok. Perhaps I am more on the hedge witch path then. I'm definitely very interested in shamanism atm. I will KUP. At the moment I don't have much time to read the stuff I bought on shamanism unfortunately as I'm busy with coursework for my archaeology course.

September 27th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I haven't had a chance to research it much either, but it is definitely something that is apart of me that I'll need to learn about so I am fulfilled!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

September 27th, 2010, 01:30 PM
~*Dolphin~Dreamer*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~*Dolphin~Dreamer*~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~*Dolphin~Dreamer*~
I'm lurking, LOL. Ive posted here before, but it's been a while. I am totally drawn to the kitchen witch! As I do stay home. I need to practice being more of a kitchen witch!!!

September 27th, 2010, 01:33 PM
A kitchen witch is what I was for a long time until I realized that I had gravitated towards Green Witchcraft and now gradually moving towards Hedgewitchery.

Come out of lurkedom!!!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

February 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I want to bump this for Ginny. Green Witchcraft does not have to tie into Hedge Witchery. They are completely separate, but can be intermingled like buttuh (butter ). Hope this thread helps some w/ your curiosity on Hedge Witchery & Green Witchcraft!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

February 8th, 2011, 08:47 PM
*~Ginny~*'s Avatar RN - Student CNM :)
Send a message via AIM to *~Ginny~*
Thanks Jackie!

February 8th, 2011, 08:52 PM
You're welcome!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search