Do you have a totem animal?

Forum: Pagan Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pagan Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2011, 08:04 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Or even more than one? What's your relationship with your totem like?

Mine is a she-wolf and always has been. She's a lanky wolf with shaggy, whitish fur that looks a little yellowish in spots. She doesn't have that "fluffy wolf" look going on. In fact, her fur lays kind of flat and a little matted together in spots. I never thought that I would be able to so clearly describe a spiritual being, but she's come to me in my thoughts so many times now that I'm able to.

I got my first good "look" at her when I was 15 or 16 years old. I was having troublesome thoughts, and I just starting thinking that I needed help. Oddly enough, I was in church when it happened. But the Christian God wasn't who came to my aid. Instead, I had a distinct vision of my she-wolf trotting into my thoughts and shredding the bad thoughts to pieces. Just like that, I felt loads better, and she's come to my aid similarly many times since then.

Thus, my relationship with my totem is still mainly one of protection and reassurance. I've also taken many life lessons from wolves from childhood to now, and I think that's always had something to do with the fact that my totem is a wolf. I've just had this bond, or connection to wolves all my life, and this, I believe, is the reason why. I just didn't figure it out until my teenage years.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 24th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Somnious
I don't really think I have one, though I've had a similar experience once with a large grizzly bear. I don't think I've seen it since the end of my teen years at some point. Also, I can't really place a gender on it. To me, it felt completely androgynous. ...Or maybe that's not the word I'm looking for? I felt neither female or male. It just ...was.

But, my grandmother and uncle both had/have totem animals. My grandma had an eagle and my uncle has the rhino. My dad might have had the wolf, but the line between therian and having a totem animal is really blurred. Not that I would ever ask him. I just heard it from my grandmother. Though my uncle and grandmother might have been experience therian related things as well... I just know that they both said that they kept having very vivid dreams of being in their animal's body. But they both made it very clear that it felt like a guide to them. Soo... I have no idea.

Last edited by Somnious; January 25th, 2011 at 12:57 AM.
January 24th, 2011, 08:51 PM
jaelin's Avatar Super Mommy
Elephant. I posted this in sacred circle awhile back so I wont bore everyone with the details. but yeah. It was like bam! its an elephant. and my life made a little more sense.
Mars (9 months
)

missing my 2 angels

"Every person in the world has passed through the body of a woman..."

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...77625732258607
January 24th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I'm still not sure what my totem is. If I had to guess it would be the Owl, but I'm not sure if that's just because Athena was trying to get my attention. The Owl has always been in my meditation spot where I found Hekate and then Artemis. The owl can be related to Hekate so I thought it was that. Then I had that crazy Owl dream and found Athena and thought the owl in my meditation was her.

My maternal grandmother was a bit obssessed w/ owls though so it would make sense if our personalities are alike that we'd have the same totem possibly. Her being fascinated by them and me understanding the spiritual side of it ya know?

I've always loved butterflies, BUT I'm also always changing myself so I think it's a constant guide perhaps, but could be a totem.

I have had a black wolf and black bird come to me as animal guides, but not totems.

Still just accepting signs and will one day find out

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 25th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Somnious
I'm not quite sure what the difference between an Animal Guide and a Totem Animal is. I always thought they they more or less interchangeable.
January 25th, 2011, 07:30 AM
From what I've read, a totem is a spiritual connection you're born with, and which is with you your entire life. It brings guidance, and you often feel very connected to that animal (or so I would think, at least based off personal experience). An animal guide, on the other hand, comes and goes as it pleases, and you can experience the guidance from more than one at any one time. For instance, as Mama2Loves stated, she's had both a black wolf and crow come to her. Those were guides, not totems.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 25th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy1989 View Post
From what I've read, a totem is a spiritual connection you're born with, and which is with you your entire life. It brings guidance, and you often feel very connected to that animal (or so I would think, at least based off personal experience). An animal guide, on the other hand, comes and goes as it pleases, and you can experience the guidance from more than one at any one time. For instance, as Mama2Loves stated, she's had both a black wolf and crow come to her. Those were guides, not totems.
Ditto.

There are a couple different terms for animals that are there for us spiritually. Some people term them differently and define them differently. I've found this to be the most common acceptance between the difference in a guide and totem.

A totem is an animal that matches your personality. It's your animal. Your spirit is like it and/or you need to be like it so you learn/grow from it.

And animal guide is something that comes to you for guidance during certain rough (or even good) periods in life. It can be years or just a few months etc...

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 25th, 2011, 01:10 PM
DistantSun's Avatar Seeking Serenity
Send a message via AIM to DistantSun
Actually, and I don't mean to be a stickler about this... But a totem animal is literally the animal that you are descended from. The original meaning, anyway, is that you (and your whole family) were quite literally born because of a specific animal in your ancestry. That is why certain Native tribes/clans were named after animals... Bear clan was said to literally be descended from Bear. Etc etc etc.

That being said, if I do have a totem, it's probably Raven.

Thank you so much, cavewoman!
January 25th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I believe my power animal is Tiger. I have always loved tigers, since I was a four-year-old girl and asked for a pet Tiger!! When I think of Tiger I think of a female tigress patiently sitting in the shadows, instilling silent wisdom: I have never encountered her in a dream or meditation as yet though. As a follower of Shamanism, something I really need to do is some trance work where I call on my power animal to accompany me on inner journeys.

January 25th, 2011, 06:15 PM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
humm, well I had a friend of mine take me on guided meditations to help me meet my animal spirit guide. I saw it and it was a wolf. It was whitish/grey/with some dirty/dark spots. This animal protects me.

However, I am very closely connected with the deer, specifically the doe. So I'm not sure which one ifs my totem. There are a few other animals that have come up in meditation for me as well.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

January 25th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantSun View Post
Actually, and I don't mean to be a stickler about this... But a totem animal is literally the animal that you are descended from. The original meaning, anyway, is that you (and your whole family) were quite literally born because of a specific animal in your ancestry. That is why certain Native tribes/clans were named after animals... Bear clan was said to literally be descended from Bear. Etc etc etc.

That being said, if I do have a totem, it's probably Raven.
I've heard a lot of different interpretations depending on the religion and path

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 26th, 2011, 06:07 AM
DistantSun's Avatar Seeking Serenity
Send a message via AIM to DistantSun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Loves View Post
I've heard a lot of different interpretations depending on the religion and path
That's because a lot of new agey types misappropriated the word so that its become very diluted.

Thank you so much, cavewoman!
January 26th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantSun View Post
That's because a lot of new agey types misappropriated the word so that its become very diluted.
I have to respectfully disagree. Paganism is very diverse, as we all know, and our beliefs are diverse as well.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 26th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I just personally feel that totem animals is something that many other people have experienced through their lives for thousands of years. How various Native American cultures viewed what they experienced, and how they chose to define it and fit it into their religion, is just subject to their religion alone. For example, "demons" are found in cultures/religions all over the world, but they all define them differently. I feel that how an individual experiences animal totems is entirely up to their own personal beliefs, and doesn't necessarily have to stem from any specific culture's religion. I hope that made sense!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 26th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
idk.

i have a love of cats and owls and both have been in dreams but thats all that has really occured. when i was younger i had a really awesome teacher who did these mental excersizes with us in which we closed our eyes and were "some how" transported to our secret place. a romm, castle feild, where ever we wanted our place to be. but how we got there was up to us and where the place was up to us. i had a white tiger taeking me there. dont know where it came from or why i choose it. but that same white tiger has been in dreams. also the same lynx cat has been in dream.

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽¸.☆
´ ¸.☆´ ☆
¸☆´
´¯☆. ¸. ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. ¸.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search