What's your SO's spiritual/religious stance?

Forum: Pagan Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pagan Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Somnious
Is it similar to your own, or completely different? If it's similar, do you end up practicing together? And if it's different, do you find that you clash a lot on those differences?

DF is very similar in his belief system to me. He was born Jewish, but he doesn't really practice it, save for some personal things about taking stock in what you've done in the year and seeing how you can improve upon it, and also lighting the menorah at Hanukkah. That's about where the differences stop. We both are very agnostic in that we feel that there's something that made and controls the universe, but we don't know what it is. He also believes in Karma, or a balancing in the universe.

He doesn't practice divination and doesn't use dream catchers like I do, but he understands why I use them. Sometimes we do have some clashing of reasons he thinks I'm drawn to spirituality, but all in all he's very supportive. Admittedly I was a little afraid to come out to him about some of my new practices because he is the type of person to try to pick apart and rationalize everything, but it turned out very well after a couple of long discussion about our views. It honestly made me feel that more connected with him.

So, how about you ladies?
January 26th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Mystixism's Avatar Mistress of the Universe
DH has no religion He doesn't classify himself as atheist nor does he say he is agnostic. He is the type that seeing is believing. His mother was Catholic and his dad was raised Buddhist so lots of interesting conflicts there

We don't clash really. He doesn't understand where I am coming from in my beliefs but he doesn't give me grief and he does ask me questions so he better understands.

January 26th, 2011, 02:16 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
DH is all for science. If science can't explain it right now, then he doesn't believe that it could possibly exist. He's a huge skeptic, too, when it comes to anything like bigfoot, ufos, etc (while I love studying these sorts of mysteries).

Even though we're so opposite in this area, though, he doesn't make me feel bad in any way for what I believe in. He supports me in his own way, too, by allowing me to spend money on the things that I want for my spirituality (like my divining dice and altar supplies). He's never once said anything like I'm "wasting money," or things like that. He basically doesn't say ANYthing about it!

Sometimes, though, I wish he WOULD talk about it, or show SOME interest, even if it was the teeniest bit. That's been happening a little more lately, though, with my divining. He's been asking me to divine for him, and he seems to take it seriously even though he would never admit to it. He asked me to divine for how his weekend Magic: The Gathering tournament would go, and I predicted that he would have fun with friends, but that he wouldn't win. He's been bummed ever since! Maybe I shouldn't have said that. LOL. But, my reasoning is, if he didn't believe in it, why let it bum him out?

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 26th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Somnious
Well, I'm glad so far all of your SO's have been very accepting. Could you imagine being with someone who was completely against your beliefs? I don't think that could work out for me.

And Krissy, I think he's secretly starting to believe more and more. I don't think he wants to admit it because it will probably mess his so science based reality. But, I'm sure he'll come around eventually.
January 26th, 2011, 05:05 PM
DistantSun's Avatar Seeking Serenity
Send a message via AIM to DistantSun
My DH is a Gaia Theorist. He believes that the planet is essentially a living entity and that we're all a part of her. It's hard for me to understand, exactly, because while he reveres Gaia as an entity, he doesn't think of her as a goddess. But he is very supportive of most everything I do.

Thank you so much, cavewoman!
January 26th, 2011, 06:28 PM
*~Ginny~*'s Avatar RN - Student CNM :)
Send a message via AIM to *~Ginny~*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystix View Post
DH has no religion He doesn't classify himself as atheist nor does he say he is agnostic. He is the type that seeing is believing.

We don't clash really. He doesn't understand where I am coming from in my beliefs but he doesn't give me grief

I think Mystix summed up my answer perfectly so I'm just gonna "borrow" it

January 26th, 2011, 07:35 PM
ressa_moonstar's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ressa_moonstar Send a message via Yahoo to ressa_moonstar
My bf is a Chrisitan which is cool with me , we have never bumped heads on our faiths he new when we got together what I was and was fine with it, we have had some debates over the years but nothing harsh we celebrates both sets of holidays and things like that it has always been pretty much a give and take when it comes to christian and pagan beliefs in our home.

January 26th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnious View Post
Is it similar to your own, or completely different? If it's similar, do you end up practicing together? And if it's different, do you find that you clash a lot on those differences?

DF is very similar in his belief system to me. He was born Jewish, but he doesn't really practice it, save for some personal things about taking stock in what you've done in the year and seeing how you can improve upon it, and also lighting the menorah at Hanukkah. That's about where the differences stop. We both are very agnostic in that we feel that there's something that made and controls the universe, but we don't know what it is. He also believes in Karma, or a balancing in the universe.

He doesn't practice divination and doesn't use dream catchers like I do, but he understands why I use them. Sometimes we do have some clashing of reasons he thinks I'm drawn to spirituality, but all in all he's very supportive. Admittedly I was a little afraid to come out to him about some of my new practices because he is the type of person to try to pick apart and rationalize everything, but it turned out very well after a couple of long discussion about our views. It honestly made me feel that more connected with him.

So, how about you ladies?
That's great to hear about two beliefs where you can talk and "debate" and come to understandings

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy1989 View Post
DH is all for science. If science can't explain it right now, then he doesn't believe that it could possibly exist. He's a huge skeptic, too, when it comes to anything like bigfoot, ufos, etc (while I love studying these sorts of mysteries).

Even though we're so opposite in this area, though, he doesn't make me feel bad in any way for what I believe in. He supports me in his own way, too, by allowing me to spend money on the things that I want for my spirituality (like my divining dice and altar supplies). He's never once said anything like I'm "wasting money," or things like that. He basically doesn't say ANYthing about it!

Sometimes, though, I wish he WOULD talk about it, or show SOME interest, even if it was the teeniest bit. That's been happening a little more lately, though, with my divining. He's been asking me to divine for him, and he seems to take it seriously even though he would never admit to it. He asked me to divine for how his weekend Magic: The Gathering tournament would go, and I predicted that he would have fun with friends, but that he wouldn't win. He's been bummed ever since! Maybe I shouldn't have said that. LOL. But, my reasoning is, if he didn't believe in it, why let it bum him out?
Magnets were thought to be magical before science could explain it Science hasn't proven everything yet, that doesn't mean there isn't a scientific reason behind spiritual things (I think there is and will be found one day). And also (look below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnious View Post
Well, I'm glad so far all of your SO's have been very accepting. Could you imagine being with someone who was completely against your beliefs? I don't think that could work out for me.

And Krissy, I think he's secretly starting to believe more and more. I don't think he wants to admit it because it will probably mess his so science based reality. But, I'm sure he'll come around eventually.
DITTO!!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantSun View Post
My DH is a Gaia Theorist. He believes that the planet is essentially a living entity and that we're all a part of her. It's hard for me to understand, exactly, because while he reveres Gaia as an entity, he doesn't think of her as a goddess. But he is very supportive of most everything I do.
Hm, I've not heard of that, sounds very interesting! BTW, love your new siggie!

I've always been witchy my whole life, started divining when I was 12 and it's progressed since. Premonitions started at 14/15 ish, oh, I saw energy for the first time when I was 12 or 13, it was really amazing, one of the most magical nights of my life! Did heavy divination and communing w/ spirits when I was 15 and met DH when I was 16, very soon turning 17. I never would have admitted to my "witchiness" (didn't know that's what it was) to anyone ever. I thought it was just a little fantasy I lived out.

Anyway, when I met DH after a few months he told me his religion was Wicca. He explained very vaguely what it is (he's NOT a pushy person at all) and pointed to some books he had in his car/room. He knew I liked to read so he said, "if you want more info there you go, ask me any questions you have any time you want". I looked at the book, read the back and did "oh... interesting..." (uh-huh.... this can't be real).

He never mentioned his religion again but because I loved him and they are books (and I LOVE to read) and because I wanted it to be true I would pick one up and read maybe 25pages, just think it was crazy talk (wow these ppl are REALLY off the deep end..) and put it down. A couple months later I'd pick it up again after thinking about what I'd read and little by little more of it started to make sense. He showed me a forum he used to go to (it's closed now) and I browsed it and eventually saw that "hey, this is a real thing here" and finally DID read all the books. I didn't agree with many of it, and thought "each book says you have to/have not to do ___ and ___ and ___" and I was so lost that I gave up even though I wanted to do it.

I joined various forums and learned LITTLE by LITTLE over the course of a couple years. Finally I felt comfortable enough calling myself Pagan once my "knowledge" was up to par, however that's not how it should be. It doesn't matter how smart you are, it's what you belief. Know what you believe first and work from there learning things here and there to build on in

Ok, that was way too long.

Oh, wait, ok so DH is eclectic Pagan now, does energy work every morning (he's crabby if he doesn't) and I'm a Green and Hedge Witch. We have discussions and debates and love talking about astral projection.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 26th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our beliefs are pretty much identical. It was a shock to both of us when we found out that about each other, as they aren't exactly mainstream. He does more energy work then I do though. I use tarot.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.
German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
January 27th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
DH says he is christian. no he does not agree with me and does not talk about it. if i dont talk about it then he is fine. although he agrees with all my "naturalistness" (his word for me) we dont talk about religion at all.

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

January 27th, 2011, 11:51 AM
jaelin's Avatar Super Mommy
is there such a thing as eclectic Asatru? thats how I think of him, not sure what he would classify himself as. he is very into norse mythology but usually goes along with whatever sort of rituals or things I am doing and I am very eclectic.
Mars (9 months
)

missing my 2 angels

"Every person in the world has passed through the body of a woman..."

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...77625732258607
January 28th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Somnious
Jaelin, if I ever wanted a more distinct label for my beliefs, I think electic Asatru would fit quite well. But, right now I'm good with my spiritual Agnostic.

Anyway, thanks for sharing ladies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search