How do you deal with skeptics?

Forum: Pagan Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pagan Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2011, 08:48 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Skepticism is necessary in healthy levels, but we probably all know at least someone who is sooo skeptic that they won't consider ANYTHING as real unless it is tangible and sitting right in front of them. When you practice witchcraft and/or believe in magic(k), you're bound to encounter a lot of skepticism (if you're open about your craft/beliefs). How do you deal with it?

I'm not open yet about my beliefs and craft, so I've never had to deal with skepticism---at least, not directly. I'll sometimes counter skepticism that is being directed towards magick in general, saying that I believe some energies have yet to be categorized with science, and that this energy is what witches/psychics use. But I don't go into more than that.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 27th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
i dont talk to many people about it either.
mostly i say the same thing - "everything is possible, even if you dont think its probable."

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

January 27th, 2011, 11:38 AM
DistantSun's Avatar Seeking Serenity
Send a message via AIM to DistantSun
I don't give a crap about skeptics. So long as they avoid personally insulting me, anyone can think what they want.

Thank you so much, cavewoman!
January 27th, 2011, 11:44 AM
jaelin's Avatar Super Mommy
One time a wiccan priestess I know gave me this small rock/egg thing (I don't know exactly what it was) that was supposed to be extremly fertile. she told me to keep it close to me to impove our chances of concieving. 3 days later I got my first positive OPK and a BFP in the same cycle. When I told my mom she said "you know that thing don't work, right? It was just a coinidence." That made me soooo mad! I mean that would be like a christian saying they prayed for something and me saying "you know that don't work right?" but, thats my mother for you. VERY skeptical.
anyway. I ended up biting my tounge and saying something vauge and diplomatic to the effect of "well, you never know..." meanwhile continuing to believe exactly what I wanted to believe regardless of her small mindedness.
If it was a coincidence, though, it was a major one. I miscarried within a week of giving the rock/egg thing back to its owner. It just makes me wonder if I had kept it.... but I guess I shouldn't think that way.
sorry I'm rambling, hope I didn't get too off topic...
Mars (9 months
)

missing my 2 angels

"Every person in the world has passed through the body of a woman..."

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...77625732258607
January 27th, 2011, 05:47 PM
*~Ginny~*'s Avatar RN - Student CNM :)
Send a message via AIM to *~Ginny~*
I don't really talk to anyone about this except DH and he's a huge skeptic. He won't even let me do a reading for him

January 27th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I'm not open IRL because my religious beliefs are personal. I only talk to DH about them because he's Pagan too and we have many great discussions.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 28th, 2011, 11:13 AM
purplelady's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i am very open IRL about my religious choice. the only person that doesnt know is my dads good friend that is like a grandpa to me, but thats mostly because we havent seen him in years. when i encounter skepticism i can go one of two ways. i either engage in a healthy debate over it or i leave it be and tell the person that i am as much entitled to my beliefs as they are to theirs.

mom to Tru(12), Rienn (8), Rowan (3) and twin angels: Valhalla grace & Kjartan michael 12-5-10 (due 6/20/11)
NFC west Division champions '04,'05,'06,'07
January 28th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Somnious
While I haven't encountered a lot of skepticism about my beliefs (But, the only person I talked to IRL about them was my grandmother), I do encounter a lot about more personal things like my relationship and personal issues. You'd think people would be more inclined to believe in those sort of things...

Anyway, I just give them a shrug. They can huff their chest and try to tell me I'm wrong, wrong, wrong, but I honestly don't give a crap. It doesn't effect their lives in any way shape or form, so why should they actually care so much about what I do/believe. I mean, I'm a skeptic myself, but I usually keep it to myself unless it's gotten way out of hand. Admittedly, I use to be one of those people who had to jump on the first thing I seen that was way outside of my radar of "possible", but I think I've lightened up since those days.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search