How to incorporate Paganism with a child?

Forum: Pagan Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Earthy.Mama
  • 1 Post By Mitra Shonu
  • 1 Post By gennysmom
  • 1 Post By Amaranth Dhanya

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pagan Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Hi everyone! I am new and found this board while searching online. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on this topic, how do I incorporate Paganism into my everyday life with my daughter? She is four and I originally planned not to raise her with religion, as religion was forced on me and failed, but rather with morals. I am beginning to rethink this decision now that my mom is trying to get my daughter to believe the Jahovahs Witness thing and her dad's mom is trying to teach her Catholicism. Neither one respects that I don't want her taught that stuff and they don't understand since she goes to a Baptist pk. The pk does not teach religion, however, it's just an ordinary preschool with rude old ladies.

I am fighting everyone (especially dad's family) for control over parenting my daughter. And believe me, it's bad. I figure that if they are trying to impose their religion then I may as well do so too, but again, I don't want to be forceful but still get the point across. I know I should start with diversity among religions and we already do seasonal work, but what else can I do?

Thanks!
May 18th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
With my young ones I started off with just teaching them to respect the Earth and all it's living creatures. Learn how to be "green" and good/bad foods and how they're made and how it ruins the dirt etc...

Death has come up lately so my 5 yr old is well versed in reincarnation simply because that's what her father and I believe in. My In Laws are hugely Christian so she has been exposed to church and Jesus and we explain Christianity in an un-biased way (at least we hope so!).

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

May 18th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Mitra Shonu's Avatar ~Seeking the Way~
Hello, and welcome!

I'm Melissa, and I'm pretty new to my Pagan Path, and as far as raising my kids go, my household celebrates Christian and Jewish holidays (mine and my husband's former practices....my dh isn't practicing, but likes the celebrations and wants to continue with our children. I'm ok with that because I like the idea of our kids getting a diverse religious experience. As I learn more about my path, and start celebrating Sabbats and Esbats more consistently and confidently, I will not hide my celebrations...just incorporate them into our already multi-religion celebrations. I don't want to encourage any religion on my kids, I want them to find the path that speaks to their heart the way Paganism has spoken to me. If that is Christianity or Judaism or anything else....I'm ok with that.

Hope you enjoy our little family here, and get to know us better...The ladies here are amazing, and very supportive.
Earthy.Mama likes this.

A very special THANK YOU to Bokkechick for my gorgeous new siggy!

May 22nd, 2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks ladies!

I am trying to network with other Pagan parents in the area and the citywide Pagan picnic is coming up in a of couple weeks. I'm sure I'll find some good stuff there.

Thanks for the responses! The people here do seem fairly nice.
Earthy.Mama likes this.
May 27th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Welcome honey! The people on this board, and on the Spiritual Living board, are not just nice, they are AWESOME. Hope you stick around x

Nature is the best way in, as Jackie suggests. My Daniel loves animals and plants anyway so it's not too hard. We visit the zoo and animal sanctuaries, do planting, teach him to recycle, and do crafts and treasure hunts around nature treasures.

As far as magical stuff if I'm doing something and Daniel asks me about it, I explain about it, and if I'm doing anything to do with wishes I'll ask him if he has wishes to add, but nothing more than that. He celebrates Samhain with me because obviously there's a great kiddies' side to that festival.

I want him to learn about all religions and make his own mind up, so whatever he asks me I tell him, and whatever he doesn't I leave.

I have however used these on occasion:
Web Sites with Free Coloring Pages for Pagan Children - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

May 27th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
I hope the picnic is awesome! Sounds fun.

I havent answered here yet cuz really I dont believe in pushing it with any of my kids. If they have questions, I answer. I let them know others believe differently and its all good. One day they will find their path and that will be an awesome day.
Really my kids are little and the only one who asks questions is my 8 yr old.

I do have a Pagan prayer that we can do at night(Havent been doing it but just found it again after our move LOL and since its one I wrote I didnt wanna redo). Thats about as pushy as I get.

They know certain things are important to us...like nature and elements, but they dont exactly get why.

As I said, as they age and ask we will answer and since I come from a super strong Christian background then Ill answer those questions well and anything I cant answer we will look up or get a book for.
Mitra Shonu likes this.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search