SpiralScouts

Forum: Pagan Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Amaranth Dhanya

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pagan Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2012, 09:51 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Have any of you guys ever heard of SpiralScouts?

I first heard of them in 2005 (before having kids) and have been WAITING until I had kids old enough to join (and in an area where there was a circle). That day has finally come! Seamus has just joined and we went to our first "meeting" last Friday.

SpiralScouts is a scouting program (much like Boy Scouts of America or Girl Scouts), except that it was started by a Wiccan Church in 1999 (it went public in 2001) and is geared toward kids who are from Earth-based or Pagan spiritualities. It's not, however, like a "Pagan Sunday School" or anything like that. Most of the circles don't teach any spirituality... as SpiralScouts is open to all children regardless of religion, race, gender, sexual orientation, etc etc... but the activities and badges are more Earth-based. Some circles, depending on the members, can be a bit more focused on Pagan spirituality though.

The circle (troop) we're joining is the Sun Wave Circle (San Diego). I got to get to know the woman who runs the circle (very nice lady!), and it looks like all or most of the members are of a Pagan background. She said that the circle isn't really "Pagany" and that they try to talk about various different cultures and how they all celebrate certain holidays and whatnot... however, in my opinion, there was a definite Pagan slant to the circle, lol... not that I'm complaining! They start each meeting lighting candles for each direction and for Spirit, while reciting a little evocation. Sure, the terms "god" and "goddess" aren't used, so it's "non religious"... but it's pretty Pagany, lol. Then each child does their special SpiralScouts oath (like Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts do... it's non religious though). The meeting is conducted (along with activities and whatnot, and discussing fundraising for camping trips, hiking trips, community work, etc), then when the meeting is over, they all hold hands in a circle around the candles and sing the "Merry Ye Meet, Merry Ye Part, and Merry Ye Meet Again" song, and then extinguish the candles while bidding farewell to the elements.

For not being very "Pagany", it was pretty Pagany, hahaha. But again, that doesn't bother me at all. I enjoyed it. Technically, any of that could be a part of any religion, but it was rather Pagan-centric, in my opinion. A bible-thumping Christian most likely would feel very uncomfortable there, LOL. However, that said, one of the moms (adoptive) of one of the girls in our circle is a former Catholic nun (no, really!) and is still very Catholic and active in her church, but is Pagan-friendly.

Seamus had a lot of fun. The day we went was a "down" day... so they just ordered pizza and watched a movie and coloured a bit (while all the grown ups talked... mostly about SpiralScouts, but conversations went on to Pagan-type stuff... I so rarely get to meet other Pagans in person). But normally they do various activities... especially if they are working on certain badges... at the previous meeting all the kids were working on their sculpting badges and they all made sculptures out of crafting clay. They also try to go camping once every 2-4 months, and there are other field trip type things (a few weeks ago they got a private tour of the police station that they all thought was pretty fun).

And yes, there are uniforms. The formal uniform is a forest green polo shirt, with the SpiralScouts badge on it, khaki bottoms, and a brown shoulder thing that has all the scouts' earned badges on it. Our circle said that they typically only wear the formal uniform if they are doing public appearances (like last year when they walked in the local Pagan Pride Parade). The "uniform" for the regular meetings is just a simple tie-dye shirt with whatever pants you want.

Anyway, in case anyone is interested and you're lucky enough to have a SpiralScouts circle in your area (they are still much smaller than the BIG scouting programs, of course, but they are gaining numbers!), and you're interested in getting your kiddos involved in scouting (possibly with other Pagan families) I really recommend checking them out! If there isn't a circle in your area, you can start your own "hearth" (which is like a mini-circle and only consists of a couple families. Many times, there are several hearths within one circle). If more families join, you can petition to start your own circle.

One of the reasons I was looking forward to this is because we have to tell Seamus not to talk about "Pagan stuff" in public, unfortunately. He once started going into detail at his Taekwondo class about a ritual we did together. People looked at us ****-eyed and I had to shush him, haha. But it's nice having a place where the kids are of similar mind (or much more tolerant) and he can talk about the Pagan stuff.

June 1st, 2012, 09:52 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
Definately have heard of them and looked into them.

There is a group an hour from us. Id rather it be closer cuz my car doesnt like long distances and its a Tuesday group(so weekly).

One of these days Ill get us going but I think I need a more reliable car.

Hope he has an awesome adventure with them.
Niamh ૐ likes this.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
June 1st, 2012, 10:55 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
You can create your own hearth that just includes your family (or any other family near you that would like to, if you want). You can do your own activities every week or every other week, and your hearth can be part of the circle that's close to you, so you can make the trip an hour away just once a month or so (and participate in their big activities like camping trips and whatnot), but you don't have to go every meeting... you can have your own hearth meetings in between.

That's actually what we plan on doing. There's one other family here in our town who is part of our circle... but the circle is about 45 minutes away, and they meet on the 2nd and 4th Fridays of each month... so we're planning on starting our own hearth here in our town, and once a month make the trip to the circle meetings. We'll still be able to participate in the circle meetings and activities whenever we can, but we can have our own sponsored meetings at home too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search