Irritated...

Forum: Pagan Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pagan Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2006, 01:16 PM
irishxrose
So I was reading some posts... not here on JM (though I'm sure this pops up around certain religious boards), but on a different board, and I have started to realize how much ignorance there is in the world about our religion, and especially Samhain. People were calling it the "devil"'s holiday, how we participate in "dark" rituals, how we worship Samhain the Lord of the Dead (let me say I went when I read that one, someone didn't do their homework!)... I just can't believe how ignorant people are these days. It really irritated me. I'm tolerant of other religions even if I don't agree with them, yet they're allowed to spout off this crap? ARGH! Does anybody else feel this way? I'm always sick of having to explain to others that I'm NOT worshipping the "devil", I'm NOT participating in "evil" rituals... I can't believe it. Some people refuse to learn about anything different from what they were taught, and what a book says.... and it really pisses me off sometimes.

Sorry, I'm just really irritated that people say this inaccurate, ignorant and intolerant CRAP about my religion. I am SO SICK OF IT!

Thanks for letting me vent.
November 2nd, 2006, 04:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No problem, that's what we're here for

I completely agree with you. People still very much associate withcraft with satanism. I've even seen it here on JM.

Quote:
how we worship Samhain the Lord of the Dead[/b]
How on earth did they come up with that one?

If it's not being confused with satan, I find that it's being put down in other ways. The local unitarian church allows a wiccan church to meet there once a month. One day I was talking to a co-worker about the unitarian church, she was looking for a less-judgemental denomination, and I happened to mention the wiccan church meeting there as an example of how open there are. She looked at me surprised and and said "I don't believe in that magic crap." It took everything I had not to say something to her about it. I would have loved to mention the hypocrisy of calling a religion crap while complaining about judgemental congregations.

This is why no one I work with, or my family for that matter, knows about my religion. It makes me angry that I feel like I have to hide it, but I don't want to have to explain myself over and over or deal with people telling me I'm going to hell.

November 2nd, 2006, 09:22 PM
irishxrose
I totally know what you mean... I've really started to notice lately how people just don't get it. A lot of my family don't understand it, and now after I've repeatedly told them about it, I just refuse to talk about it. If they can't open their ears and understand what I'm saying, I'm not going to waste my breath. I HATE that I have to do that, because I want them to understand... but if they're not willing to, I can't do much about it. And I'm finding that more and more as I meet new people. I'm so lucky that my mom's side of the family understands me, and is willing to let my raise my son in the faith, but my dad's side (the ones who can't open their ears, save a select few) think that I'm raising my son in the "devil" faith... ugh. My family usually isn't like this, so when I heard that I actually cried. My dad's side is usually very tolerant about everything, but when it comes to Wicca, they spout off everything they've heard in church (Evangelical Protestants) and what they've seen in Hollywood... which is usually completely offbase. And everytime I show some of them my books, they make the sign of the cross!

I also have seen this here on JM... and it makes me sad. I take the time to learn about other religions, but I've noticed that some people just refuse to soak in other information besides that which they heard in church...

I really don't like the intolerance and misinformation I see around here, and on other boards... but if they refuse to listen, what can I do? Just stuck in a quandary I guess...

And I have no idea how they came up with the lord of the dead thing... I have seen it on some Evangelical websites (research for a paper in school), so I think, like many other things about Wicca/Paganism, they are being fed misleading information... it's just sad that people are eating it up.
November 3rd, 2006, 09:46 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
"Samhain the Lord of the Dead"

I got into a rather heated debate about that with someone, lol. This girl was trying to tell me that Samhain was the "Lord of the Dead", another name for the Devil, and that by wishing people a "Blessed Samhain", I was actually wishing them a "Blessed Devil's Day", LOL!

I asked her for her source on that information, then proceeded to tell her what Samhain actually is and that "Samhain" is the Gaelic word for "November"... and I gave her the subsequent reliable sources on my information (not to mention the fact that I've been trying to learn Scottish Gaelic for a while now). She retorts back with this site that doesnt even load...

So I ask her for more sources to back up her claims, and she doesnt send me anymore... just sticks her fingers in her ears and shouts "I'm right and you're wrong" (well not literally... but that was basically what she was doing, lol). I later found out she was only 14, and by that time it made total sense to me, lol.

I honestly find people's ignorance to be more funny than anything else.

"I would have loved to mention the hypocrisy of calling a religion crap while complaining about judgemental congregations."

I was thinking the same thing!

November 4th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Pure Innocence
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! All I can say is I FEEEEEL for you

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search