Discrimination

Forum: Pagan Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pagan Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 25th, 2006, 01:15 AM
irishxrose
Have you ever experienced open discrimination and hostility because you're Wiccan/Pagan?
November 25th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Hmm... not quite sure what you mean. I've had people who are completely ignorant about Wicca and Paganism make false assumptions about my religion... and I've had people tell me that I am going to Hell and that they feel sorry for my son because he has to grow up in a "godless" family.... and things like that.

But that never bothers me. It actually just makes me chuckle. As if making rude remarks toward me and my family is going to make us convert... lol.

As for major discrimination (ie being fired from a job or denied something only because I'm Wiccan), no, I've never experienced anything like that.

November 26th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't been discriminated against at work but, to be fair, none of my co-workers know. I tend to hide my faith from my co-workers and my family. I hate doing that, but I don't want to deal with the negativity I'm pretty sure will arise if I'm open.

I haven't come up against discrimination, but I have seen intolerance. For example my friend's husband doesn't like Wicca. He and my friend had a Wiccan roommate once and he "forbid" the girl from practicing her faith in "his" house. He believes that spells are evil. (I say "his" house because he actually made my friend by the house since his credit rating stunk. She was 19 at the time and did it because he'd leave her again if she didn't. ) He also asked DH if he knew that I was "into that stuff"; DH just laughed and said yes.

Luckily most of my friends either don't care or are pagans themselves so it hasn't been too much of an issue.

November 26th, 2006, 12:42 PM
irishxrose
I'm glad that it hasn't been too bad for you guys!

When I was in middle school, I was told to take off my pentacle because it was a dangerous symbol. I then pulled up the Supreme Court rulings, and told my dean that if he wished to continue to tell me to take my pentacle, his middle school could expect a lawsuit. He dropped the whole thing. During high school, I didn't really get too much of discrimination, just people being intolerant and hostile. I've had some nasty comments directed towards me, but I've learned now to let it roll off my back. Parts of my family have stopped speaking to me because of it, but I've learned now that some people just can't learn anything different from what they know.
November 26th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
I've actually had similar situations when I was in school. Not as drastic though. When my younger brother was in junior high, the JHS had made a rule that pentacles were not allowed to be worn or displayed. This pissed me off (a lot) and I was going to contest it... but I never did... but I wrote a formal letter and everything. I basically said that if they ban one religious symbol they better ban them all... or let them all be allowed. My brother also got in trouble for doodling some pentacles in his notebook.

January 14th, 2007, 08:14 AM
ericahex's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No but then I keep it pretty personal. I have a lot of Pagan friends who are, of course, supportive, and as far as I know my entire family knows and are supportive as well.

My manager at work, I'm sure, realizes I'm into general spirituality and mythology. We discuss books like The Iliad and I've talked about Jung and Joseph Campbell, and we've discussed poetry like Desiderata etc. As far as I know she's not religious but her kids go to Catholic school and she admits it's because it's the best school in the area. I tend to wear an om symbol to work or a silver circle, but haven't worn a pentacle much since highschool.

I wore a pentacle sometimes to highschool or to my part-time job but nothing was ever said about it. I imagine they didn't recognize it or just thought it was part of my general weirdness.
February 10th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Elysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Elysia Send a message via MSN to Elysia
I've never actually experienced any discrimination, I don't live in an overly religious area and the only clue as to my faith is the small pentacle I wear around my neck which is normally inside my shirt though I don't intentionally hide my faith...If asked I will tell...but the closest to discrimination is the christian scripture teacher at our school but its not really that discriminatory...as far as shes concerned you don't go to church you go to hell, you don't obey your parents- hell...the fire and brimstone type. *shrugs* wether your pagan, islamic or christian she'll tell you these things but It doesn' bother me...actually is kind of funny...though by the way she looked at me when I told her that going to church doesn't make you any more christian than standing in a garage makes you a car I think she missed the humour

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search