Starting Your Herb Garden

Forum: Pagan Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pagan Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Pure Innocence
SPACE
If you are wanting to use herbs, for....cooking, magic, medicinal purposes, it's best to grow your own, that way you know they have not been sprayed with any chemicals. A small border or bed or even a collection of containers will provide an adequate supply of plants for household needs. Or have a full grown herb garden! I cannot WAIT to do this.

Seeds
Start your garden with seeds, they are easy to use and inexpensive.
Annuals: basil, borage, chervil, coriander, dill, nasturtium, pot-marigold, summer savory, parsley
Biennials: angelica, clary sage, parsley(better as an annual)
Perennials: fennel, fever few, horehound, hyssop, winter savory, lovage

Soil
A free-draining, lightish soil will suit the majority. These are not flowers or vegetables, so they don't require a rich soil. There are some exceptions to herbs though...so before you start planting, be sure to read about your herb to know what kind of environment they will thrive in wink.gif

Design

~ square beds, with gravel paths inbetween keeps things nice and tidy
~don't be afraid to cut your herbs back to keep them from getting unruly

Roots
Mint, tarragon, bugle: cut the roots in separate peices to form new plants.

MINT: should be grown separatly so that it doesn't overgrow the garden
January 27th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
This is really interesting. When I find a flat for me and Daniel, I really want to grow some herbs in the kitchen window.

Do any of you have a herb garden? Which herbs can thrive on a sunny windowsill, and which don't do so well indoors (assuming I may not have a garden - if I do, I'll plant outside)?

January 27th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used to grow some herbs in trays when we lived in our haunted flat. They grew alright, until the weekend we went away to get married which was the hottest weekend of 2006 and we came home to find them all dead But I'm planning to grow more this year.

The parsley did very well, the corriander not so much

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

January 29th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I know I've tried to grow coriander with no success, and also basil. But they are two of my favourite herbs for cooking!

What about thyme, oregano, lavender, chamomile? Has anyone grown them indoors?

I love parsley, so I will go with that one for sure!

January 29th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did grow some lavendar successfully for a while but it never really thrived unfortunately. Hopefully you will have more luck than me with it!

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

January 29th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I have grown it before, but only outside. It did well for years and then died one year, not sure if it was diseased or quite what happened.

January 31st, 2009, 01:05 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been growing some herbs... I can't count how many have died on me. LOL but currently I've found in my area (HOT AND HUMID 70% of the year) Sage, Rosemary, and Mint seem to be doing very well. I had one chamomile plant but it died along with my bay, basil, and more than 5 other herbs. lol But right now I've got seedlings of Lavendar and Chamomile that I hope to plant outside once this cold weather is behind us. I've got parsley that it really trying to make it , Its a fighter!! LOL and Dill too that has kind of come out of nowwhere, but it is yellow and looks a bit weak. I've been stumbling around with them trying to see what will and won't grow down here.

Other than herbs I planted yellow squash and zuchinie last year and it did wonderful! As well as my tomatos. Untill some orange ant looking bug took over .

This year I do plan to try again, but I've really got to figure out what will work down here in this heat.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

February 1st, 2009, 08:14 AM
It is really important to figure what works in your climate. In the UK it tends to be mild at best though we do get a few hot weeks in the summer. We're meant to be in for a second winter this coming week so I've bought some seeds but I'm waiting to start planting them. I'm also going to follow the times for planting suggested on the packets. I'm not at all green-fingered but I love planting, flowers, herbs, trees and stuff, so it's really unfair! lol.

February 8th, 2009, 08:29 AM
~Jackie
Mine keep dying because I forget about them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search