How do you explain it to your child(ren)?

Forum: LGBT Mommies and Mommies to be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By lilbittyone
  • 2 Post By Jessy_Ree
  • 2 Post By Gaby&Emmy'sMama
  • 1 Post By Gray Sea
  • 1 Post By melandherboys

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To LGBT Mommies and Mommies to be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2012, 09:31 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
For those lucky enough to be in a same-sex relationship, have you made any extra effort to explain why your child has "two mommies" instead of a mommy and daddy? Have you given them advice for how to answer curious questions they might receive in school? What sorts of things do you say? Do you ever worry about them getting teased?

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
March 7th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Veteran
We've never sat our kids down and said "Ok, you've got two moms", the same way I assume heterosexual parents never sit their kids down and say "Ok, you have a mom and a dad" (at least my parents didn't). It's normal to them, because well, it's what they've always known. They have friends with two mommies, two daddies, a mommy and a daddy, a few mommies and a few daddies, some step-parents, legal gurdians, it's a hodge podge. And we've just always gone with "everyone's families are different in make up, but the same in love", I only know of once that someone said something to the kids about having two moms and DD1 responded with "Ya, I got two moms. So what?", which is really the attitude we try to present to them.

We do have copies of "Heather Has Two Mommies", but the kids can't figure out why she'd call her moms by their names (Heather in the book calls her moms Mama Jane and Mama Sue, or watever their names are). They call us mommy (DW) and mama (me), so they think that just seems silly and get all hung up on it.
Gerard 3 12/08 and baby Daria 05/11
And expecting baby number 5 this fall!

March 9th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am not currently in a same sex relationship but I could be if I wanted and had the time(with 3 kids who has time for dating? LOL) ..I actually did have a talk with my kids about how its ok to like boys or girls or both..but how some ppl don't like it and think its "wrong"..and how its not something they need to talk about to everyone but they can talk to mom and dad..Right now they are far too concerned with trucks and mario to give it any thought(they are 7 and 5)..but we will continue keeping the lines of communication open with them as they grow and start having relationships of their own.
krissy1989 and Gray Sea like this.
March 11th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I always expected I'd have to have some big momentous talk with Gaby... but when Lauriel and I began dating, Gaby asked a question about us - something about being best friends & I said "no, Lauriel is my girlfriend", and that was really as far as the discussion had to go.. she now talks about us getting married, and how she can't wait for Lauriel, E & A to live with us, and how she thinks we should wear _____________ to our wedding....

She accepted it straight off the bat.. In preparation for this eventually (well, I hoped it would!) happening, I have always spoken to Gaby about how it is okay for a man/man and woman/woman to be in love and to get married... so I don't think she really thinks anything of it.
melandherboys and krissy1989 like this.

March 13th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Gray Sea's Avatar I love Disneyland
I love how you said, "lucky enough" I wish I was lucky, too...[sometimes]

However, if I ever am in a gay relationship, I will act as normal and natural as I am now, married to a dude.
I already teach my daughters that homosexuality is not wrong. I even joke with my 4 year old, to marry a girl when she's older! LOL She says "OK, whatever you say, mom!
krissy1989 likes this.

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my spooky siggy
March 15th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
Like Emma said, in our home, it's always been very much an open topic of you are free to love whomever you want,whether it be another male,or a female. As for me,and my situation, they've always known L was my gf for as long as they can remember(been together a long time now,and they were babies) But, just recently they started calling her 'our other momma' (the fun momma ) We just tell them they are SO lucky to have a daddy,a two mommies
krissy1989 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search