101 Reasons NOT to Get Your Tubes Tied:

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kikicool

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2008, 08:43 AM
cilla's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to cilla Send a message via Yahoo to cilla
1. You don't know what post tubal syndrome is.

2. You have been told there are no after effects.

3. It doesn't protect you from AIDS so you still need to use condoms.

4. Your husband wants you to.

5. Just because you had a lot of c-sections.

6. Your Doctor suggests it.(or tells you to do it).

7. Your unsure about wanting another child.

8. You might regret it for the rest of your life.

9. Your fimbrias might be destroyed during the procedure.

10. You may never just get over it.

11. Many years later when you think you can't get pregnant, you do, and your heart is broken because you have a tubal pregnancy and lose the baby. You realized by this time the tubal was a mistake to begin with.

12. Because tying can mean anything from clipping to banding ,cutting , to cutting a piece out ,to burning.

13. Because you had complications with your last pregnancy.

14. It wont help your menstrual cycle (it can make it worse) .

15. It can cause earlier menopause.

16. A tubal can be done at anytime. DON'T do it during a c-section. There are moms that had their babies die just as the Dr. finished tying their tubes!

17. You could lose an ovary(s).

18. You could feel less of a woman.

19 .Because you are a single mom.

20. Your mom thinks its a good idea.

21. Depression is a very real side effect.

22. Doctors might say all this sadness is "just in your head" but if you didn't have the tubal, you wouldn't be worrying about it just being in your head.

23. Because you think it will enhance your sex life.

24. Because you heard its reversible.

25. Reversals are very expensive.

26. Reversals don't always work. There are many factors involved in just attempting a reversal.

27. You spend a lot of money on a reversal and it doesn't work.

28.You think you never want kids.

29.It's not natural.

30.You think you don't have enough money for another child.

31. Your friend had her tubes tied and had no problems (This does not mean you won't).

32.A study has shown that woman sterilized during the birth or immediately post partum have LESS milk for their baby!

33. Because its a fool proof means of birth control (there are others).

34. Because you have an unhappy marriage.

35. Because you might win the lottery.

36. Because all your kids could be killed in a bombing of a federal building.

37. Because you could lose a child to cancer.

38. Because your husband might have a heart attack and die at 37.

39. Because your husband is injured in the line of duty and is a vegetable forever, you meet a new man, begin a new life and want more kids.

40. You have diabetes and think it will never be under control.

41. You want menopause to come when its supposed to.

42. Some Doctors think you have worse cramps because the period blood backs up.

43. You haven't discussed it with your clergy.

44. Its against most Religious doctrines.

45. The blood supply to your ovaries can be compromised.

46. In the future you may want to give the gift of life.

47. Your insurance covers it.

48. Your insurance does not pay for birth control.

49. Your car has only room for 2 cars seats.

50. Your kids say they don't want anymore brothers or sisters.

51. People say you're selfish for wanting more kids.

52. You think it will make your more attractive to your husband (not worrying about birth control).

53. Because your over 35 and worried about chromosomal abnormalities.

54. Its not a bartering chip to get your husband to agree to have another baby.

55. Its not a bartering chip for a dr to use in order to perform an abortion.

56. Do you really want to be a sterilized woman?

57. It can RUIN your sex life.

58. Can your deal with the word sterilized?

59. Your parents were holocaust survivors.

60. You haven't discussed this tubal with a psychologist.

61. Its like giving up future babies.

62. IVF is very expensive.

63. Almost all insurance companys will not pay for IVF.

64. Almost all insurance companys will not pay for IVF after a tubal ligation.

65. Almost all insurance companys will not pay for Reversals.

66. Almost all insurance companys will not pay for any kind of infertility treatment if you have had a tubal ligation.

67. You won't have to deal with people thinking you are selfish for wanting a reversal.

68. Were you a whoops baby?

69. Were you a change of life baby?

70. Do you have trouble deciding things?

71. Have your ever regretted any decision you have made in your life?

72. Einstein was the 8th kid of his family.

73. You know an infertile couple.

74. You'll be infertile.

75. Ovulation won't mean anything anymore.

76. PMS might become much worse.

77. It might hurt big time when you ovulate.

78. You'll never be able to look at a guy and say I want to have his baby.

79. Your DO,does not share your lifestyle.

80. Its barbaric: woman are asked to get sterilized no one asks a man to have a vasectomy.

81. There is not enough coconut custard pie to make up for it.

82. The kids you have are bothering you.

83. You suffered from post partum depression with your pregnancys.

84. Your Mom might die and then you wont be able to have a baby to name after her.

85. Because you got the boy you always wanted.

86. Because you got the girl you were longing for.

87. Because you made a deal with someone (your partner).

88. You think no one will ever love you.

89. You had a stressful pregnancy.

90. It leaves a scar.

91. You always do what is expected of you.

92. In your heart you know its wrong.

93. Your doing it to make others happy.

94. You don't realize this is mutilating your body.

95. Your friends won't understand how traumatic it is.

96. Because you can't deal with the Dr. saying "Burned those puppies (the tubes). You will never be able to get a reversal."

97.Because IUDS can work well.

98. Abnormal luteal function may be responsible for the symptoms observed and may also explain the failure to conceive following successful reversal of tubal ligation.

99.Because there are less invasive ways.

100. BECAUSE LIFE IS TOO FULL OF VARIABLES TO DO SOMETHING SO PERMANENT.

101. Although some of the reasons can be turned around ...meaning get your tubes tied..please remember there REALLY IS NO MEDICAL reason to tie your tubes!!!!!
just because you might think you don't want anymore kids you don't need to tie your tubes!!!!
and if the Dr tells don't have anymore kids ...that is still not a reason to tie them!!!

Please go back and read them all again and be 100% sure you can deal with ALL these reasons (consequences) in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to read!!!

These reasons are all ones that have been told to me by woman that have had their tubes ligated.

If you know someone planning on having this done ...please tell them to think it through

Have you had a Tubal Ligation and regret it? Just pm me or more information on Tubal Reversals!
June 5th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
That's great! Thanks for sharing!

May 23rd, 2012, 11:05 AM
My name is Mary I am a 34 y/o mother of 2. After my second
daugher was born in 2010 I had my tubes tied and it seemed almost
instantly I was having problems I never had before. I thought this was
a routine, simple thing I was never advised ANY of these things could
happen and so I thought I was loosing my mind! When my daughter was
born, I was not producing much breast milk, she was born a c-secion,
but so was my first one - yet I noticed a significant decrease in milk
production.

I have had pretty bad depression off and on - about 3-4 months after
delivery, I had a bout of uncontrolable crying that lasted a good
number of hours and I have not been right since, incredible mood
swings, the worst, heaviest and longest menstral cycles I've ever had
in my life, incredible debilitating pain during ovulation and
menstration - pain so bad it takes my breath away. My migrains have
gotten worse. I am tired all of the time and have little to no energy.

I really want to be "fixed" or put back together - not because I want
more children, but because I want to be back to normal - if I had
known any of this was possible, I would NEVER have done this!
May 23rd, 2012, 12:40 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are a lot of women who have experienced this after a tubal. It's a shame the long term effects aren't being revealed to women before they make their decisions!
Often a reversal does help alleviate the symptoms, because it helps restore blood flow to the ovaries so they can do their important hormonal work that controls your cycles, bleeding, moods, etc. There are even doctors who do reversals at reduced cost, as a ministry, because they care about seeing women restored to their full health.
July 1st, 2012, 07:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This was a really interesting read. While I was on the table, after having given birth via c-section to my 2nd/youngest child, the doctor asked me if I wanted him to go ahead and tie them. The law, at the time, stated that you could not do that until 21. I had just turned 20 and told him so. For years afterwards, I regretted opening my mouth. After reading your post, I now feel that my age and naiveté saved my sanity.
July 1st, 2012, 08:50 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
"Because your kids bother you." LOL I had to laugh at that one. If that was a good reason to have a tubal, nobody would have more than 1. wow.

I do think people don't think about how permanent it is and how your feelings about having another baby can change for any number of reasons.

I also think that some women do it because "it's just what you do" or because the doctor suggests it, and ladies are very open to suggestion if "others" think there is no reason for them to have more kids. And then there is the implicit rule that you have to have a *good* reason for wanting another one after you have 3. That's what gets me. If you have 1, nobody expects you to have any above-and-beyond reason for wanting #2. If you have 2, nobody expects you to have a great reason for having #3. But 3 is the magic number, and after that, well... people wonder "why" you want #4? And all the more, they wonder "why" you want #5. etc. It's so incredibly arbitrary. Yet ladies are made to feel that after they have 3, and all the more for each baby afterward, that they need a really good reason NOT to get sterilized.

I can't put my finger on the mentality behind it. It's almost like kids are "things" to "get" after you get married, and not people you want to bring into the world to love. If they are "things to get" it makes more sense to say, "hey, you have one or two already, you got your things. You don't need more. Mission accomplished." But if society's view of having children was that they are blessings and the purpose of having children is to bring a person into the world to love and educate, there's no reason to not bring an 8th baby into the world to love and educate. I guess having children isn't about "getting" or "needing" so much as it is about "giving" life and love. You don't have to have a good reason to do that. I don't have more children because I need them, but because I love.

Phew. *stepping down from the soapbox*

[/url]

December 16th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I'm quite upset that this is the first article that I stumbled across in my quest to find out more information on tubal ligation.

Firstly, I am having it done for MEDICAL REASONS, so you can scratch reason 101 off that list.

I understand that women may choose to have the procedure done for a number of the reasons in the list - and while it is fine and dandy that the list may have some educational and informative points - I think it is done in rather poor taste and doesn't look at both sides of the story.

I am about to have this procedure because, at 24, I have just found out that both of my tubes are blocked and, if I want to become pregnant, then I need to have IVF. In the unlikely event that I should become pregnant naturally, then I there's a very high risk of the pregnancy being ectopic - one of the major risks with that being . . .death. Not only that, but if I were to have fluid build up within my tubes (hydrosalpinx) over time, then I would risk being in permanent pain, or having to undergo numerous operations which would probably result in the removal of my tubes and ovaries in the long run. Neither of those may ever happen - but there is too great a risk involved for me to just disregard this option.

It's easy for someone with children and perfect tubes to sit and judge those who do not, and need medical intervention, but PLEASE do some research and think twice about who you may upset with your words.

And if you have had your tubes tied - from someone who has useless tubes anyway, don't be put off by this article - you CAN still have children .. .it will just cost you quite a bit for IVF

And for those considering having your tubes tied, or are feeling pressured by someone else to have it done - take it from someone who is walking in the shoes that you want - having no choice in your fertility isn't fun! Never EVER take it for granted.

All the best

x
October 19th, 2013, 09:10 AM
This is a terrible, uneducated article. If I had to guess, I'd say the author has a religious agenda, because not one of these reasons is an actual certainty. Nor are there many facts. Because your kids could be killed in a bombing? Because they might die of cancer? Having more kids wont replace them, as any parent who has lost a child knows.

As the above poster mentioned, there are plenty of MEDICAL reasons, for starters. There's also the distinct possibility that a woman knows her mind and is sure of herself enough to say "I'm done having kids, I am happy with what I have."

This list infuriates me, because women looking for real answers may stumble across it. I'd write a list of 101 reasons this list is useless, but I'm busy with my three wonderful babies that I'm satisfied with. All of whom were delivered by an "unnatural" c-section after the first one saved my life. Incidentally, I've had my tubes tied and don't regret it and still ovulate and don't think it was "wrong in my heart." I was looking for inform menstruation when I found this. Not a single helpful fact. Back up the facts, or can it.
Lyndsey2013 likes this.
November 6th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't even have a tubal; my husband had a vasectomy, and I *still* went slightly crazy. He is innocent; I did not protest his desire and did not express mine (our third was 9 months old when it was done). It was bad this summer--two years after the "all clear" from the doctor. I was fairly depressed for a few months and didn't find much joy in anything, even my own precious children. I've gotten past that low point, but there is still disappointment each month when AF shows up. There are so many "logical" reasons why we are fine as-is, but none of them can touch the fact that I want another baby. From my own womb.
November 6th, 2013, 07:15 AM
mercedes1987's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to mercedes1987
wish i had read this 9 months ago before my c section, it's already done, and I regret it already.

BTDT MOMMY.

November 6th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraJo29 View Post
"Because your kids bother you." LOL I had to laugh at that one. If that was a good reason to have a tubal, nobody would have more than 1. wow.

I do think people don't think about how permanent it is and how your feelings about having another baby can change for any number of reasons.

I also think that some women do it because "it's just what you do" or because the doctor suggests it, and ladies are very open to suggestion if "others" think there is no reason for them to have more kids. And then there is the implicit rule that you have to have a *good* reason for wanting another one after you have 3. That's what gets me. If you have 1, nobody expects you to have any above-and-beyond reason for wanting #2. If you have 2, nobody expects you to have a great reason for having #3. But 3 is the magic number, and after that, well... people wonder "why" you want #4? And all the more, they wonder "why" you want #5. etc. It's so incredibly arbitrary. Yet ladies are made to feel that after they have 3, and all the more for each baby afterward, that they need a really good reason NOT to get sterilized.

I can't put my finger on the mentality behind it. It's almost like kids are "things" to "get" after you get married, and not people you want to bring into the world to love. If they are "things to get" it makes more sense to say, "hey, you have one or two already, you got your things. You don't need more. Mission accomplished." But if society's view of having children was that they are blessings and the purpose of having children is to bring a person into the world to love and educate, there's no reason to not bring an 8th baby into the world to love and educate. I guess having children isn't about "getting" or "needing" so much as it is about "giving" life and love. You don't have to have a good reason to do that. I don't have more children because I need them, but because I love.

Phew. *stepping down from the soapbox*
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can't even tell my ladies Sunday school class about what I posted here (which is why I'm compelled to post it here). I never told anyone about my depression. Because even in the church, there is this mentality that it's nuts to want more than 2, really. That 3 must be an accident. That you're crazy to want another baby when the youngest is 6 months old. And how could you possibly be a good mother staying home all day?

I know the list upset some people. I don't judge others for their choices; how can I? I made the worst choice ever and I can't do anything about it. But I do agree with what I think the spirit of this article is, and that's sterilization is a HUGE decision and should be taken extremely seriously. That's all. Media and our society will tell you there are all these great reasons not to have more kids, or even leave the option open. They'll tell you why it's terrible to have more than a couple of kids. Or, "that's good you're doing something about it. You don't need any more children" (repeated 3 or 4 times when I didn't immediately agree). But they're not the ones living your life day-to-day. They aren't there in the quiet moments when you realize only a miracle will fix the choice you made. Or the disappointed moments when that miracle didn't come (yet??). And if you don't believe in miracles or a God who can work them, then you're doubly hopeless if your mind changes afterward.

That's all I'm saying. Everyone's decision is on their own head. I just wish I hadn't listened to all the pro-sterility voices. And I wish I'd been bolder with DH before I made the appointment for him. His mind is still firm, though, so perhaps it wouldn't have mattered. But I'll never know, now.

Last edited by ZZ0607; November 6th, 2013 at 07:52 AM.
July 7th, 2014, 12:50 PM
OK, unless you have a unique life threatening medical condition, you should probably not on a whim (and while drugged on the OR table) consent to anything. Reading a few of the earlier posts it saddens me to hear doctors offer this option to women, I'm curious of the socio-economics of the women doctors are offering it to as well. Some of the moms seemed quite young in age too, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I am 38 and 8.5 months pregnant with my first child. Yes, I made the decision to wait, and wait, and wait. Whatever. I went to school, travelled, got my heart broken by a few Mr. Wrongs, danced and drank my *** off at the best clubs around the world and basically dealt with all my childhood, daddy, and depression issues before I finally met the love of my life, ( a man I know I could trust to love me and our children forever and ever), and he asked me to have his babies.

I will not get my tubes tied (mostly because I'm so old I won't need to!), but more importantly, it's not natural. You're messing with you body, people are suggesting it not for your best interest. The health of your body and hormones is in your best interest. I know it's hard to be a young woman --can't even imagine being a young woman with lots of babies. People look at you (especially if you are not married or if you're not in a TOTALLY committed relationship), like you are mentally unstable, and I'd too ask you, WHY are you having a baby anyway? You have lots of time, go grow up a little, first. Unless, like our friend, you have a unique and life threatening medical condition AND you have to have your babies before the age of 25. I'd just hope it's for the right reasons. I had friends who had babies while they were still babies themselves, they had their problems, as I did mine, I just didn't make a child suffer along with me through my 20's and early 30's. I will be a better mom for waiting. I also kept in pretty good health, have great genetics, and always been a very healthy eater, but I drank and smoked (a lot), for a while. Mostly top shelf, but certainly enough to kill a small child. I'm so happy to say all that is ALL in the past.

My main reason for not supporting a healthy female using the Tubal option: my sister had her tubes tied at 36 years old, after her 3rd child, and she aged so fast after that! Everyone is different, I know. But if I/we want to stop having babies after 2,3, or 4 children, my husband will have to work with me to find a healthy solution, because Mama likes her muscle tone and strong bones!
August 24th, 2014, 04:30 PM
mercedes1987's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to mercedes1987
I had mine done a year and a half ago. its not cool. sighs

BTDT MOMMY.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search