Does anyone else HATE their Mirena IUD? Help!

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2009, 08:13 AM
mrschamberlain's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got mine put in in March of this year. I have had nothing but problems with it! The bleeding the first few weeks/months was just ridiculous. Now it's worse! I'll start my period about the same time every month, but I'll only spot for a day, and then nothing. But I still have SEVERE moodiness (never had this before), awful cramps, etc. Then 1-2 weeks later, I'll bleed super heavy for about a week. Then for a week or more I'll spot constantly. And I'm always getting very severe pains that aren't cramps. The pain tends to be on either the lower right or left side. And where the pain is, it's always rock hard when I push gently on my abdomen. I'm so ready to have this thing removed!!! Is this pain normal at all?
Angie-wife to Justin, mom to Kaeden, and TTC #2
September 9th, 2009, 11:53 AM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hate mine! I get labor like cramps. I have bad acne now. I gained 10 lbs. My hair on my head doesnt stop falling out, Im surprised Im nto bald. I grew a mustache! I am extremly Moody. And now..... Its stuck in there! Yep, the strings went up into my uterus! Fun! Im still waiting on my doc to call me so I can get it OUT!

September 10th, 2009, 09:05 AM
lovemyfamily0799's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got mine in December and it was a short lived relationship because I got it out in June. 6 months of bleeding 2 weeks straight each month. Not heavy, just consistent and annoying and the whole reason I got the thing was to stop my cycles.

The moodiness was horrible, it was like constant PMS! My hubby is glad to have me back, and I am glad I got it out. I feel so much better. Now I can at least feel my PMS coming and I don't feel like some walking Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde where I couldn't control those emotions at all. Headaches and soor boobs too, all things that usually go hand in hand with my PMS, all gone until just a few days before I cycle. Back to the old normal self.

The blinky is clickable!!
September 11th, 2009, 08:23 AM
kasie.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to kasie. Send a message via Yahoo to kasie.
Thats no fun!! I haven't had any problems with mine, but everyone is different. If I were you I would have it taken it.
September 21st, 2009, 12:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just got mine put in last week. So far my only problem is that DH hates it-- he can feel the string stabbing him in the weiner. Any suggestions on how to deal with that??
Iím rocking my baby and babies donít keep.
September 21st, 2009, 07:29 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by regananne View Post
I just got mine put in last week. So far my only problem is that DH hates it-- he can feel the string stabbing him in the weiner. Any suggestions on how to deal with that??
You can go to the doctor and have them trim the strings shorter, that should help!

All the symptoms that you ladies are describing are normal with a hormonal form of contraception such as the Mirena. If you like the idea of an IUD but would prefer fewer to no side effects, you might want to try a Paraguard or Nova-T IUD. These contain no hormones but still provide protection against pregnancy.
September 21st, 2009, 11:44 AM
SFGiantsGirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:

Give it some time. Your strings should soften up and it should hurt him any more. If it doesnt happen, then I would go talk to your doctor about getting them shortened. The only problem is you don't want them too short or you won't be able to feel them when you check to make sure its there. Give it time though, like you said, its only been a week it may take a few more weeks. Tell him just to be patient...lol

September 24th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't like mine either. I got mine in June and bled for about two months straight. I became anemic from it and had to take extra iron pills but the didn't help much. Now I haven't had any bleeding for about 3 weeks and I feel just like I did when I was first pregnant with DD. I hate not knowing whats going on with my body. I hate worrying if I'm pg or not. The worst part is that I've gained 10 pounds and am extremely moody. I would even say I'm depressed. I'm going to get it removed in two weeks and can't wait! I really want to be back to normal.
October 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Quote:

I also recommend to just give it some time. My strings were pretty long for the first month or so, and then they somehow became more normal and less noticable.
October 27th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Hi ladies, I'm new here and have a question. I'm getting a bit worried, and would love either some confirmation or relief from my concerns...

I got my Mirena IUD in June at my gyno's suggestion, to help prevent Endometriosis symptoms. The installation was an awful experience for me. And for about a month or more following, I felt like my uterus was just gonna fall right out. I even went to the ER about it, but they didn't find anything out of the norm.

Anyhow, so it's been almost 6 months that I've had the IUD. After the uterus pressure subsided, the only other side effect I had was rupturing cysts, which in comparison to my Endometriosis pain, I gladly accepted.

Besides some spotting for the first day or so after the installation, I have had absolutely no bleeding or spotting with my IUD (which was the point). So that's been pretty sweet. BUT, four days ago, I was sitting and felt a sudden gush in my pants. It was so sudden, I almost felt like maybe my uterus had failed me, and I'd pee'd myself! But when I went to the restroom to check, it was blood (more than spotting). So, I put a pad on, changed my pants and went about my day.

The following two days it slowed and turned into just spotting. But last night I noticed some color on my toilet paper after I went to the bathroom, and put another pad on figuring maybe the spotting wasn't quite done with me yet. Then I went to bed. Today upon waking up, I find that it's not blood on my pad... it's a dark brown/black dry discharge. My stomach is feeling pangs and heaviness which isn't really all that rare for me, but it's worse than usual.

So, I'm getting a little worried. I am having a really hard time finding any information on what this could be on the web. Does anyone know what is going on? I currently don't have any insurance and if I can avoid having to go to a doctor, I would like to.
October 27th, 2009, 09:23 PM
SFGiantsGirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Blazeofsolitude:

If you are having brown/black discharge you need to go to the doctor now!!! that is not normal!!! Bleeding is normal and so is spotting but if you are having that color of discharge with pains in your stomach....I think there is something wrong. You could have an infection of some sort. Go to some type of a county hospital where they take people with no insurance or go to any doctor...it will just cost you more. But definately definately go to a doctor!!

October 28th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Blazeofsolitude:
I agree that you might want to see a doctor, however I would like to also mention that it might be breakthrough bleeding.

You sad that you've not had AF in a few months since you got your Mirena? Often with bc that consists of constant hormones, the body eventually HAS to have a period. That could be what had happened with you. As for the dark coloured discharge and pain...well, that sounds like what I experience at the end of my AF during most cycles.

I still would see the doctor to double check that all is well. You really do not want to have an infection while using an IUD.

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

October 28th, 2009, 08:13 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I know that my periods got shorter, but the bleeding was dark brown/black. It smelled really bad (tmi). I finally got mine out 3 weeks ago. I only had it for 4 months, but it was horrible. I think I had every bad side effect that they don't tell you about.

I would call your doctor. Even just asking might set your mind at ease.

November 30th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschamberlain View Post
I got mine put in in March of this year. I have had nothing but problems with it! The bleeding the first few weeks/months was just ridiculous. Now it's worse! I'll start my period about the same time every month, but I'll only spot for a day, and then nothing. But I still have SEVERE moodiness (never had this before), awful cramps, etc. Then 1-2 weeks later, I'll bleed super heavy for about a week. Then for a week or more I'll spot constantly. And I'm always getting very severe pains that aren't cramps. The pain tends to be on either the lower right or left side. And where the pain is, it's always rock hard when I push gently on my abdomen. I'm so ready to have this thing removed!!! Is this pain normal at all?
I had mine put in in early April and had it taken out in June because I couldn't deal with it anymore. I went from that to the pill and problem solved for me. I got everything from moodiness, unreal periods that weren't in any way consistent, discomfort, sex hurt (tmi but dh could feel it and it made it uncomfy for me too), got migraines while on it, horrible muscle aches/pains. Most of this went away when I had it removed. My doctor said that my body was trying to reject it because when she took it out it was right on the edge of falling out and I'm kind of lucky I didn't end up preggo. She said that likely I can't cope with such a direct dosage of hormones and that coupled with my body trying to reject the IUD was what caused my symptoms.

Her advice was with any birth control your initial side effects should clear up within 3 months. If they don't you might need to re-evaluate your birth control. Maybe you should go in and talk to your doctor about it. Its not normal to be miserable, the whole point of that birth control is to be able to have some convenience and just not have to worry about it other than checking strings. If it was me experiencing what you are I would have it gone in a heartbeat.

Don't make yourself be miserable anymore! Good luck!
November 15th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I had mirena put in 3 months ago and I'm so fed up with it. I got my period aug 19 and had it until sept 22. It stopped for like 2 weeks then I got my period on oct 9 and had it until nov 13. I have cramps and bloating since I got this **** thing. I'm also experiencing mood swings. And I also do not feel like I'm losing weight I feel bloated all the time. I'm so frustrated! Is anyone experiencing this? They make it sound like it's so convenient but it's been a nightmare. I think I'm gonna have it removed
November 16th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ive had my mirena in place for 3 1'2 yrs. It took a little getting used to but I didnt mind it until this last year. Ive been really sick, almost all the time, headaches, all over pain, moodiness-knowing it and not being able to control it. Im getting mine out next week and I cant wait!

As for the strings, Id give it some time too. DH can always feel them but it didnt bother him after long.

I have a girlfriend who also has the mirena. she has a 2 wk long period, ever 2 weeks... That would drive me nuts but its the only downside she has had, she loves hers.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search