Depression caused by the birthcontrol pill?

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Does anyone have any experience with this?

A little back story:

I was on the regular pill (Lo-estrin) from the age of 14-21 without a break. I was pretty emotional and depressed on and off while on it, but really just thought that that's how I was, and it was just teenage hormones making me upset all the time.

I went off the pill at 21 and became very depressed and my personality changed drastically. This lasted for about 4 months, and then I came back to being normal.

I had a copper IUD inserted, and felt pretty good mentally for the next two years.

Unfortunatly the IUD caused a lot of pain, heavy periods, and yeast infections during the last 6 months, so I had it removed and had my doctor put me on a mini-pill containing just progestin.

I've been on it one month and I am already notcing that my emotions are a mess. I get upset easily, I feel like im losing interest in a lot of things, I hate getting up to go to work in the morning, and it's causing me and DH to fight because I'm upset over just about everything.

I'm wondering if it's likely that the pill is causing me to become depressed, or if I'm just looking for a way to not be on it (honestly, I am scared to be on hormones and I hate how they affect my body in other ways too!).

If anyone has any experience with this, I'd love to hear it!

July 11th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I actually experienced something similar when I was on bc pills. I actually stopped taking them because I didn't feel quite right on them.
Like you, I felt down off and on and I didn't have any interest in anything. My emotions were a rollercoaster and it was stressing my relationship too.

IDK. I do totally agree with you about being a little nervous about taking hormones. I don't see how upsetting my body's natural occurances can be healthy. I was always scared that it'd end up making me infertile or something (I'm a total worrywart but when I got off the pills we couldn't get pregnant for 2 years! I was spazzing).

What's in our oven? A baby girl! ~ Annelise Madison Murphy
www.sweetsept.livejournal.com
July 12th, 2010, 12:15 PM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was so psycho on birth control pills. I had a very short fuse, I'd get raging mad over nothing, and I'd be weepy and depressed for weeks at a time. I thought I was bipolar for a while until I talked with a psychologist who suggested it might be the hormonal birth control I was using. I tried lo-estrin, ortho tri cyclen lo, and yaz. My obgyn kept telling me "well, we'll keep trying different kinds to see if that's better," but I got sick of changing things up and feeling even worse. I ended up looking for natural methods to avoid pregnancy, and found the Fertility Awareness Method to be the best option. It took some getting used to, but I really like it. I'm a lot nicer now.

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

July 12th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
We're going with FAM now too actually. I had a serious talk with DH about how I couldn't handle trying any more hormonal ways of bc.

He actually went and researched by himself and came back very confident that it would be a good route for us to go.

I can't say I am glad other women have experienced this, but I am glad that there's someone out there who I can relate to!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search