IUD fears...can anyone help?

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Super Mommy
I have an appointment set up to get the mirena IUD, but im terrified. I almost wish they didnt have to tell us about the risks of the insertion because that freaked me out even though its extremely small chance...

anyhow, i have bigger concerns.

If your partner is above average in length and size, and you are prone to rougher sex, can the mirena do more harm than good? Ever since the doctor mentioned that its possible for the mirena to puncture through my uterus when they are inserting it i have a fear that even jostling it can have the same effect.

If its going to affect my sex life i would rather be throwing up all the time on the patch/pill instead of having a fear of something puncturing through me.
July 13th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
There are a lot of scary risks with the IUD but so long as your doctor is experienced in placing them, you shouldn't have a problem. It's pretty rare to have an issue like that happen. Maybe request an x-ray or ultrasound afterwards to make sure it is placed right?

As for the issues with sex, the only one I can really think of is that certain times of the month, the stings may be felt by your DH. The strings do soften up over time, but if he still feels like they're a problem, you can have your doctor make them shorter for you.

I don't think that rougher sex will cause it to move, but you may want to address that with your doctor just to be sure.

July 16th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Running Queen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just had my IUD removed after having it for about 1 1/2 years. I LOVED it! It is a little painful when it's placed but then the cramping goes away after a day or so. I spotted on and off for the first three months (which was really annoying) but after that...I loved it! No period, no pain...nothing! DH said he could feel the string every once in a while but it didn't bother him.

If you don't feel comfortable with an IUD, just do the pill. Do what is best for you! GL!
July 19th, 2010, 03:18 PM
lyndileigh's Avatar Regular
I just had mine taken out 2 weeks ago. Ionly had it for 3 months. I had more issues with it then it was worth. I think it effects everyone different. I bled all the time, had painful infections & mine actually fell out of place and I didn't even know it til I went to get it out. I was lucky I didn't get pregnant. So not ready for that again.

July 25th, 2010, 12:13 PM
ASoldiersLuckyCharm's Avatar Three's A Charm <3
Send a message via ICQ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Yahoo to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Skype™ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm
I have just about same thing to say about it as Running Queen. I had mine in for about 18 months just had mine taken out we are TTC # 3 for R&R. This first day the pain wasn't too bad at all. I think it was maybe 3 days after I had it put in my husband came home and I the worst cramps. It a day or two later it got better. It was like my husband knocked it into place. I had my period the first month nothing the second month third month I had my period and then after that nothing but light spotting here and there. I will be getting back on it after we have our 3rd. I loved it.. I wouldn't worry to much about it. I guess everyone body is different all my friends had it put in and they had their periods like normal I some how got lucky with none.

all graphics made by Jackie at http://cutesypies.livejournal.com/ & http://blushfuls.com/ tell her Judy sent you
July 29th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Until now, I'm still not open to the idea of getting an IUD. I'm such a baby. But the thought of having a foreign object inside me just freaks me out.

Last edited by Believe_it; September 1st, 2010 at 05:59 PM.
July 30th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Super Mommy
I love my Mirena. I have had mine in for about a year now. I dont have any actual period anymore. Maybe some spotting every couple of months. But I still go through all the hormones stuff that we normally go through every month.
July 31st, 2010, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryJo View Post
I love my Mirena. I have had mine in for about a year now. I dont have any actual period anymore. Maybe some spotting every couple of months. But I still go through all the hormones stuff that we normally go through every month.
Actually when you're on hormonal bc, your natural hormonal process is disrupted and changed.

August 3rd, 2010, 02:29 PM
Jannell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I literally just got my IUD in today. It didn't hurt me at all being put in and very little cramps. Granted it has just been a few hours so we will see.
August 3rd, 2010, 07:10 PM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchin View Post
Actually when you're on hormonal bc, your natural hormonal process is disrupted and changed.
I believe the Mirena is a non hormonal form of birth control. That's why it's safe to use if BFing.

To the OP, you can stick me in the "love this thing" category. I've had it for over a year now and have never, ever had a problem with it. My DH is not at all small in that area, and he's never even complained about the strings. The IUD is placed a ways into your cervix, so sex (even rough sex) shouldn't cause it to move around. It's not impossible, but it is unlikely.

If you've had a baby already the insertion shouldn't be too painful. For me it was like getting a pap, just with slightly stronger/longer lasting cramps. It really has been a great BC for us. I hope you can find something that works great for you!

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
August 3rd, 2010, 08:36 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambee View Post
I believe the Mirena is a non hormonal form of birth control.
The Mirena releases synthetic progesterone and carries with all of the risks of that particular hormone.
August 4th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN View Post
The Mirena releases synthetic progesterone and carries with all of the risks of that particular hormone.
Ditto. Also, doctors try to recommend things like Micronor (mini pill) and tell us that it won't disrupt milk flow, but in many cases, it does.

August 4th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I WISH I could have had Mirena but unfortunately my cervix is really tilted and placing it was really difficult for my midwife. Eventually, after she tried to do it for over 30minutes she suggested that I try another method of BC...she said she'd never encountered such a tricky uterus, so hopefully this isn't a problem that anyone else would have.

Mommy to Michael David 4.9.2008
Wife to Mike 12.8.2008
Human to Whitt's GrooGrux King 4.3.2010

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search