Does getting off birth control change your ovulation date?

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I know normal ovulation takes place 2 weeks into your cycle but does getting off of birth control (when you never ovulate) change that at all in the beginning? My LMP was on 7/1 and my cycle is pretty normal, I was on birth control (the pill) for a few years but just stopped talking it 2 months ago. I had unprotected sex on 7/5 & 7/6 (so I was still slightly on my period) then again on 7/21, which is one week before my period was due. I was expecting my period to start yesterday, in the morning, which it ALWAYS does. Never got it and still don't have it today and its already 1:30. If I am pregnant, which would be the better guess as to when I conceived? I'd like to know so I can know if I can take a test now or if it will be inaccurate.
July 29th, 2010, 12:01 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Actually, ovulation doesn't always occur 2 weeks into your cycle. For 12% of women it does, but for the rest of us it occurs earlier or later than that. Even much much later for some.

While on the Pill, ovulation can still occur. The Pill just makes sure the lining of the uterus is too thin for the pregnancy to continue past 7-10 days after conception.

Discontinuing the pill can cause irregularities for awhile. Your body has to work really hard to sort itself out again when the synthetic hormones are gone. It's normal for ovulation to be late or non-existent for awhile after coming off the Pill. The average time it takes for your reproductive system to completely heal from the Pill is 3 - 18 months.

Your period may not have arrived because you haven't actually ovulated yet this cycle. The period comes about 2 weeks after ovulation. If ovulation is late, period is late. If ovulation is early, period is early. It's possible to have bleeding with ovulation, so your last period may have actually been ovulation bleeding. 7/21 is possible too, but it would be too early to test.
July 29th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Okay, I think I figured something out, if I got pregnant at the beginning of the month, I should have enough hormones to tell me I'm pregnant by now, but assuming I got pregnant on the 21st, I would have to wait a few more days. Right?
July 29th, 2010, 01:54 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Exactly!
July 29th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Shawna is right, it's pretty much a myth that everyone ovulates 14 days into their cycle. My first cycle off BCP, I ovulated day 20 or 21.. the next cycle it was sooner but it varies every cycle by a day or two.. in fact I have ovulated anytime between day 14 and 18

It's also normal to not ovulate for a while after you come off the pill. It can take a while for your system to regulate.
Good luck!

Baby girl born Feb 2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search