New here and a Question

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 25th, 2010, 10:57 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi!

I am Christy. I have four kids, my youngest born in March 2010. I am currently on the mini pill for two reasons: I am breastfeeding and I have high blood pressure.

My doctor only gave me a 6 month script for the POPs. The plan was for me to take them for six months and then we would decide on the Mirena or Implanon.

I need to decide what to do. I am still nursing and do NOT want anything to interfere with that. I just recently added solids to his diet, but breastmilk is what he gets 95% of the time. I also work full time and have to pump 2-3 times a day on weekdays.

Should I do the Mirena, the Implanon or fight the doctor to stay on the POP?

Thanks in advance!

October 25th, 2010, 11:45 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, you shouldn't have to fight your doctor on anything. It's his job to present you with your options, inform you of the risks in consideration of your health history. Not his job to make the decision for you or try to pressure you into a decision you are not comfortable with.

Both the Mirena and the Implanon warn against using them if you have high blood pressure. You can read the pharmaceutical information on them online. With high blood pressure, I personally wouldn't want to take chances with any further risks caused by synthetic hormones.

Do you know about modern forms of Natural Family Planning? They have effectiveness rates which are on par or higher than that of the mini-Pill (depending on the type of NFP it is.)
October 25th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I am interested in learning on how to NFP correctly, but don't know if I can get hubby on board.

I got off of regular birth control pills Oct. 2008. We were using condoms during my fertile time. I conceived April 2009 and miscarried early May. Back in 2002, we did the same thing for over a year and didn't have any problems.

I would love another baby, but can't until at least 2 more years due to work. Hubby doesn't want another one ever, and has mentioned the "V" word a lot. I have major issues with that. I know that it increases his chances for prostate cancer and he already has a family history.

I am not a fan of condoms.

Thanks again!

October 25th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Well, as you've already discovered - condoms do have a failure rate. They are not compatible with NFP because they reduce the effectiveness of it. Would DH be willing to attend an NFP class with you? It doesn't have to mean you've made up your mind about it, but lots of people go to class just to be fully informed while they weigh their options. Maybe it would help him understand the biology of how it all works?
October 25th, 2010, 02:07 PM
LOL - the condoms work for us as long as we use them. That was an instance that we didn't use them. I wasn't suppose to be fertile.

My dh will not attend classes with me. I can barely drag him to the OB/GYN.

October 25th, 2010, 02:12 PM
October 25th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I know.

He was very hesitant about cloth diapering too. So I researched and researched until I felt comfortable to explain my point. We have been cloth diapering since July of this year.

Thank you for taking time and advising. I really appreciate it.

October 25th, 2010, 02:26 PM
No problem. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. There are online courses as well, if you are interested in researching that way before making up your mind.
October 25th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I would. Do you have any links?

October 25th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Yup!

Billings Ovulation Method online course
WOOMB

Northwest Family Services Sympto Thermal Method online course
Online Course

Couple to Couple League Sympto Thermal Method home study course
Home Study Course

Marquette Model online instructions
Marquette University | Natural Family Planning
October 25th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks! Going to go do my homework on this.

October 27th, 2010, 07:56 PM
andrewNdereksmom's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to andrewNdereksmom
you shouldn't have to fight with the doctor. i use to be on pops and i liked it but i just had a hard to remembering to take it at the same time everyday. so i got the implanon. i was trying to get the iud BUT the iud didn't want to go into my uterus like it was suppose to which sucked. but the implanon is great but i dont know how it would go with breastfeeding. either way good luck... mirena or implanon either way you don't have to worry about taken it everyday. thats the good part...
good luck once again. take care

thank u GraysMama

November 7th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree that hormonal birth control probably isnt the best option with your high bp! Look into NFP! I hope it works for you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search