How long does it take to ovulate after BC pill is stopped?

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Veteran
Hi Ladies!

I am just wondering if anyone knows how long, on average, it takes to start to ovulate again after stopping the pill? Can you ovulate right away? Or does it usually take a couple of months? Or can it take a very long time to ovulate again? Is it just different for everyone?

I have been on the pill for a year now...

Thanks so much!
January 15th, 2011, 08:31 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's different for everyone. Since it's normal to ovulate while on the BCP (it also works by making sure implantation can't occur), many women do ovulate fairly quickly after stopping it. Clinical trials suggest that it can take up to 18 months for your fertility to completely recover from the effects of the BCP. The most common difficulty following BCP use isn't the lack of ovulation, it's a lack of good quality cervical mucus. The BCP shrivels up the parts of the cervix where good quality mucus is produced. Because it's such a delicate organ, it can take awhile for the cervix to heal and produce good CM again.

A typical pattern I've seen repeatedly in my clients is a few normal cycles...which causes them to say "Oh good! Everything went back to normal right away!" and then several irregular cycles, and then things regulate again. It takes a few months for the build up of synthetic hormones to completely leave your system, which is why things may tend to get weird for awhile before going back to normal.

But everyone is different!
January 16th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Veteran
Thanks so much for the info!

I am stopping it now, though not planning on TTC for several months, at least- I am thinking of checking out the NFP board in the meantime to see if that might be an option...

Thanks again! It is good to know the whole picture of the BC pill!
January 24th, 2011, 12:18 PM
mticknor's Avatar Veteran
Everyone is different, but I know for me it took almost a year to get back into my normal cycle after going off the pill. Before going on the pill I was in a normal spot-on 28 day cycle. Once going off the pill my cycle started at around 45 days (yikes) and SLOWLY moved toward a normal 28 day cycle.

So if you are TTC anytime soon, I would suggest going off of it as soon as possible
January 24th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I took Ortho Evra (bc Patch) so I'm not totally familiar w/ the pill, but I know I was told by my ob and also by several friends (that were taking the pill) that it can take up to 6 months to get back to normal. Me and my hubby decided to TTC and just see what happened - I'll be 6 weeks along tomorrow and let me say my last period was December 14th, so we got pregnant right away! You never know! My ob did recommend Folic Acid - don't know if that helped or if we were just luckily blessed with this baby sooner then most? But we are so excited! Best of luck!!!!
February 11th, 2011, 09:01 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
After 15 years on BCP it took me about 3 months to start ovulating again.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search