Which long term method is safer?

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I am pregnant with my second child and me and my husband have decided this is the last one we want. Yes, I've thought good and hard about this... I'm not a baby person--never have been, I don't do well with pregnancy, and we only wanted a couple of kids anyway...

We are stuck choosing between using a ParaGard (copper) IUD and having him get a vasectomy. I'm just here to get advice from those who have had experience with either of these methods. I WAS going to go with the IUD, but after doing hours of research I saw so many horror stories from those who have had one, and a vasectomy sounds so much safer. Anyone agree?

(Again, we are SURE that we are permanently DONE having kids so please don't turn this thread into a debate over whether or not we are ready for this )
January 24th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Gio's Mommy ♥
Well I'm not very knowledgeable about the subject of IUD's but my oldest sister had one put in this past summer (she just turned 38, but was 37 at the time). She bled heavy for a little over a month (i believe 6 weeks or so) and ended up having a stroke. Now my sister previously had 2 strokes (one when she was 31 and pregnant, the next when she was 33). She was stable for 4, going on 5 years when she had the IUD put in. The doctors initially told her that the stroke could not have been caused by the IUD but it was...it caused hormonal changes that messed her body up. She had 2 more strokes (now that brings her up to 5 in less than 10 years) only weeks apart shortly after the 3rd stroke. Now I'm not saying this is common, but it does happen...just weigh your options, do your research and get more than one professional opinion...

Last edited by Lorena26; January 24th, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
January 24th, 2011, 12:11 PM
sexypepsi25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had the Copper iud put in Sept09 and I loved it period were regular not heavy no hormones going crazy....BUT I got PREGNANT while still in place but unfortunally mc that pregnancy. Doctor told me once that happens the chances of it happening again are great!

Tags
copper , iud , paragard , vasectomy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search