The Depo shot

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Can anyone offer their experiences with being on the shot? I'm considering going on it. I seem to have a lot of trouble with birth control pills.

I'm most concerned about spotting(horrible expreience with Seasonale) and weight gain.

Anything you can tell me would be much appricated
May 4th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was on it for 2 years and loved it. My insurance at the time stopped covering it so I had to stop it. The only real down sides it had for me was that I bled pretty much everyday though the first 2 shots (6 months) but I never had a period or any spotting after that. Secondly I would always feel tired almost sick for the rest of the day and the next day after I got the shot, but after that it was fine.

I never gained any weight, had any headahes or moodiness. I had a period right after I stopped it too but I've heard it can take 3 months to a year for your fertility to return after stopping it but I didn't seem to have any problem.

May 5th, 2011, 09:26 AM
*Mrs.ToyaJae*'s Avatar Super Mommy
i actually started to lose weight on Depo. But I'm not it's best spokesperson. I had a HORRIBLE experience on it. I bleed the whole three months on it, CRAMPED HORRIBLY after not recieving the second shot. I lost extreme amounts of hair. I had a bald spot right in the center of my head. smh...I just didn't like it. However, my younger sister was the complete opposite and she loved it. (shrugs) Just have to take a chance...only bad thing is once you take the shot whatever side effects you have you have to deal with them until the medicine it out of your system. =/

My. Two. FAVORITE. Little. Men.

May 5th, 2011, 12:30 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Be sure to read the risks. Depo-Provera is a very aggressive drug and hits your reproductive system hard. It's also black listed by the FDA for it's effect on bone density. Also, if you experience unpleasant side effects or complications - there's no way to get it out of your system except to wait for it to wear off. DO LOTS OF HOMEWORK before you make up your mind!
Evesmum likes this.
May 5th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
im carrying twins thanks to depo :-)

my co worker gained 20 pounds on depo.
May 5th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My BFF almost lost her fiance because it made her such a raging B. She also gained 20 lbs, and bled for months.

After she read about the side effects, she was terrified she wouldn't be able to get pregnant (she did though.)

May 5th, 2011, 06:04 PM
*Mrs.ToyaJae*'s Avatar Super Mommy
yeah, some people have been trying for YEARS I know someone who it took 5 years to get pregnant after quiting depo. But you should do research because it started off as a horse steriod then it was given to men to Castrate them while they were incarcerated....and then they figured since it worked for horses and men it most be GREAT birth control for women. =/

My. Two. FAVORITE. Little. Men.

May 5th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Ashl3y
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN View Post
Be sure to read the risks. Depo-Provera is a very aggressive drug and hits your reproductive system hard. It's also black listed by the FDA for it's effect on bone density. Also, if you experience unpleasant side effects or complications - there's no way to get it out of your system except to wait for it to wear off. DO LOTS OF HOMEWORK before you make up your mind!
This. I personally would not go on Depo if my life depended on it. Everyone I know that either was on it or is on it had nothing but bad experiences. Weight gain and bleeding are the two most common things they've said are wrong with it. Not to mention, as the poster I quoted said, it really hits your reproductive system. It can take a long, long time for you to get your period back and be able to conceive. Of course some people do conceive as soon as they come off of it, but it took my one friend four years to be able to conceive. I'd really, really look into it first.
Evesmum likes this.
May 6th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Mistyx6's Avatar Mommy of 6
Send a message via MSN to Mistyx6
Yep another prego thanks to depo!

May 6th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Oh jeez ladies, ya'll scared the crap outta me. Those are horrible expreiences.

I did the whole Seasonale thing and it was horrible. Had major bleeding and horrific cramps.

I want to be able to skip my period completely and was excited to try Depo. But not so much anymore. I know it's a 'every woman' is different kinda thing. But I don't know if I wanna risk what ya'll have told me.

Thanks so much for your input! I'm having such a hard time with pills. Either they cause my period to be longer, or heavier or I get hot flashes or back aches. It's like I went on the pill to help these symptoms not make them worse!
May 6th, 2011, 01:35 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The World Health Organization also ranks combined oral contraceptives as Class 1 carcinogens, same as tobacco and plutonium. Hormones are serious business.

Has anyone ever investigated why you are having those symptoms, instead of just trying to cover them up with the Pill? If your hormones are unbalanced or something weird is going on, it should be treated - not covered up!
May 6th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I was 19 I think when I had my first pap and I told my Dr that I had heavy, long periods, bad cramps and back aches. She said I could take Tylenol or try the pill. I was already taking 2 ibuprofen's every 4 hours for at least 3 days durning my period. So I went with the pill.

I've been on a boat load of pills. Started with Yasmin(I think) then Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo then Seasonale then Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo to Orthro Tri Cyclen to Ovcon 50 to Ovcon 35 to Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and now back to Orthro Tri Cyclen. I have a new doctor now and she put me on Orthro Tri Cyclen and she's allowing me to skip my period and have one every 3 months. Not working so far. I'm having spotting(she said to expect that) and bad back pain. I think I got all that right. Most of the change in pills happened after Seasonale, I thought I was going to die on that pill.

All my pap's have came back fine, but I know that doesn't mean I don't have another problem. Sometimes I get bad hotflashes. Not all the time. But I'll wake up hot as hell and then get really cold then hot. Doesn't happen as much durning the day as it used too when I was younger.

And lately I've been having some emotional problems. I really don't know whats going on.
May 11th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Super Mommy
I have only been on depo a month and love it...im a little emotional but i always have been, a tad crampy here and there but no spotting or bleeding and i love no pills hahaha i feel great!

Sk8er - my God-daughter is Riley Elizabeth haha backwords of your little one how funny!

May 20th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Super Mommy
Update- week 4 I am a hormonal mess, lactating, and crazy...only the last couple days...called the dr waiting for the first cycle to end obviously and see from there...go back june 3rd or something for a check....but why??? I love no aunt flow hahaha

June 12th, 2011, 11:42 AM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
Depo took my fertility!! Took me almost 6 years to finally concive. (I would ovulate once a year). Caused me to gain so much weight (40lbs in 2 months time), caused me to bleed non stop for 6 months straight and be a raging bi**h. Would never recommend it for anyone!!

June 12th, 2011, 10:19 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I gained a lot of weight on Depo, probably about 40-60lbs. And I was really hormonal while on it; the only good thing that came out of me getting the Depo shot was divorcing my ex-husband. ROFL Other than the weight gain and mood swings I was lucky enough not to have all the other problems listed.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

July 3rd, 2011, 08:26 AM
H1C2's Avatar Life of Love
i went on it b/c i didnt want a period a long long time ago. i never had a period after the 1st shot, never had any problems w/ wt gain, depression/ pms sx. have had bone density testing- no changes. but: i am young, easly could stil happen. i was on it for 8 yrs, went off to ttc; had 1.5 periods before i got preg. shot was due 8/21, got period in december ; concieved early jan. had our son 9/21.

i went on it immediatly after him!!

i love it, wonderful, best ever. even when dh gets his vas, i will continue d/t no period s/e
July 29th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Veteran
One of my friends was on it and she lost a lot of bone density. Apparently at 22 she had the bones of an 80 year old. She used to be a huge spokes person for depo but now she speaks out against it.

I hate to post only a bad example but she is the only person I know of that has taken it.
August 2nd, 2011, 09:54 PM
I had my first son in February, and thought that the shot would be the best form of bc for me because of the initial adjustment to mommy life. I HATED IT. I bled the ENTIRE time it was supposed to be effective, and for a month after. My temper was insane, I swear I thought my husband and I were going to get divorced because I was so hateful. I didn't gain weight with it, but I didn't lose any either. And even now, though it has been ineffective for at least a month, I'm retaining fluid. My sex drive is just now getting back to normal, I had NONE the entire time I was on it. I came off it and do not plan to go back on it. The effects from it are still causing me discomfort. Before I had my son, I never EVER had menstrual cramps. And during the 6 week period after he got here before the shot I had no cramps. But the cramps that shot caused me feel like labor all over again. No one I have talked to has had a good experience on it.
January 18th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Veteran
I think its important to remember that the Depo effects each of us DIFFERENTLY>
I personally LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!
I have been on it for 5 years and am just coming off.
I did NOT gain any weight.
I did NOT have any mood swings.
I did NOT have periods, at all.
It was a wonderful experience for me. I guess I was one of the lucky ones.
But again, its different for everyone.
Oh and I never got pregnant while on it.

For me it was wonderful as I only had to think about it 4 times per year.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search