Tubal Ligation or Mirena?? Completely stop having kids or wait 5 yrs and see??

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2011, 08:45 AM
proudmommy2006.2009.2011's Avatar Regular
Hello again. I week or two ago I posted a topic about "how many people recommend the Mirena" and got some mixed comments about it. Now I'm wondering who recommends tubal ligation (getting your tubes tied) over the Mirena.

My story is that I have 3 children, all under 5. I just had my youngest April 26th. During my entire pregnancy I had my heart set on not having anymore children but my fiance (of 7 years) still wants at least one more child down the road. Which made me think, since Mirena is good for 5 years, who knows, maybe we'll be ready to try for one more. But I'm not completely sold on the Mirena. I personally don't know anyone that has it. My main worry is getting pregnant while on the Mirena. I cannot afford another child right now, but I'm not sure if I want to completely cut out having more kids.

I'm at a total loss on what to do. The doctors don't recommand a tubal for me because of my age (25), they say I'm young and I'll never know if I was truly done or not.

I could use some insight on what I should do. Thank you in advance for anyone that gives me some constructive support.

Tricia - Age 25 - Stay at Home Mommy and Loving It - Married to Jarrod - Together We Have 3 Beautiful Daughters; Brianna Marie (11/19/2006), Savannah Lynn (10/08/2009) and Alainna Grace (04/26/2011) - Stepmother to Charles Thomas (05/01/2001) and Ethan David (09/08/2004)

May 29th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Super Mommy
After my last pregnancy (twins), I was convinced I was done. However, 5 1/2 years later, I am ready for one more. For that reason, I am glad I chose the Mirena instead of a tubal. I didn't want to do anything permanent in case I did change my mind.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
May 29th, 2011, 04:30 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Both the Mirena and sterilization have long term risks, so make sure you're fully informed no matter what you decide.
June 12th, 2011, 10:24 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd say if you are questioning it then get the Mirena, until you are sure you are ready for tubal ligation. I've had my Mirena for almost 4 1/2 years and I'm just now ready for something permanent. I wanted to make sure I was before just jumping into it and Mirena was the answer for me.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

June 13th, 2011, 09:15 AM
*Mrs.ToyaJae*'s Avatar Super Mommy
well, if you want something NON-hormonal you can get Paragard which is also an IUD that last for 10 years. I had it previous to this pregnancy. I say only if you KNOW DEFINITELY that you and your FIANCE are DONE then I'd say Tubal. But, you NEVER KNOW...so I'd say opt for something a little less permanent until you know. With Mirena or Paragard you can have it removed at anytime and still get a tubal if that's what you want. My sis-in-law and friend both have Mirena and they give no complaints. Me and hormones don't necessarily get a long thats why I opted for Paragard and I was breast feeding so It's all up to you, but yes PLEASE inform yourself...but someone elses experience isn't going to determine yours because all of our bodies are built differently.

My. Two. FAVORITE. Little. Men.

June 13th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
From my experience I thought I was done a few years ago after I had 4 children very close in age, I had 4 in about 4 1/2 years. After the birth of my last son I had a tubal ligation, I was almost 22. A year later I got a divorce after 6 years of marriage, and I never thought I would remarry and I did not want more kids...or so I thought. I did remarry and my husband did not have any children of his own and having one together became a huge deal to me. Finally after 3 1/2 years of marriage and thousands of dollars later I had a tubal reversal. Its been a little over a year since my surgery and we are finally expecting our blessing.

It was a long emotional road, I will never do the tubal ligation again. It messed up my hormones so much, I even went through 2 losses last year due to progesterone issues. After this baby I will be doing the iud, dh thinks this one is plenty but I wont shut the door on my fertility again.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
June 14th, 2011, 04:32 PM
*Mrs.ToyaJae*'s Avatar Super Mommy
Grace. I Totally agree, because this is my second and me and my husband are saying we're done, but who is to say that three years from now we wont be changing our minds. So, I think that and IUD is best for me as well again this time. =)

My. Two. FAVORITE. Little. Men.

June 28th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Regular
i agree with pp and say that if you are not 100% sure than get the iud. That is what i did after my 4th i wast 100%sure i didnt want any more children so i got the iud instead of the tubal. If i feel the same way (which im suure i will) in 4 years when it is time to come out i will get the tubal
July 3rd, 2011, 08:21 AM
H1C2's Avatar Life of Love
i believe that once you KNOW you are done, you know. i am 100% sure we are done, heck, we both are that sure.

but if your not positive, then dont. ya know? some ppl just dont know for sure and thats ok.

so my advice, if your not positive, dont take permanent measures.

on a side note: the doctors CANT be telling you that "you dont know". that kinda bugs me that any doc or hcp would even have the gall to tell you what to do, instead of giving you all your options instead and just taking the time to talk to you. i am sorry they were like that!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search