Withdrawal?

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools

July 16th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Regular
I've been through a few pages on this board, and it seems like I'm the only one using withdrawal as BC, along with a tiny bit of NFP. Am I the only one, and if so...why?

[/CENTER]

July 29th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Veteran
My SO and I used withdraw the first 4-5 years of our relationship. It kind of scares me now that we did that because we started dating as teenagers. But I never got pregnant so maybe we became masters at is XD. But eventually I got on the pill. Ironically, I got pregnant on the pill, but that was due to drunken partying and becoming careless by not taking dosages.

I think many people will not rely on withdraw because it is one of the least effective methods of birth control. If your SO forgets to pull out, you are at risk for becoming pregnant. Sure there is Plan B, but that usually costs about $50. And if your SO continuously forgets to pull out, well that can get expensive... Also, precum will come out of a guy before he ejaculates which will give you a 2% chance of becoming pregnant.

I'm not trying to discourage you to use withdraw. If you use it and do not become pregnant, then more power to you But is there a reason that you do not want to use other methods of birth control?

August 4th, 2011, 12:28 AM
I guess people prefer using the tried and tested methods of birth control. I had so many friends who were using withdrawal but most of them ended up being pregnant in the long run.

September 22nd, 2011, 10:47 PM
Veteran
use contraceptives...

September 23rd, 2011, 06:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's risky.

September 23rd, 2011, 07:38 AM
SammyJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Definitely risky, but I'll admit that DH and I have been pretty much doing that on this past cycle since I stopped using the pill. We are trying to go with the Fertility Awareness Method, but sometimes during the "unsafe" times we didn't use a condom like we should have. However, now I am getting paranoid that I could be pregnant although we weren't planning on that for a few more months. So I think that withdrawal, or attempted withdrawal isn't the most effective method for DH and I because we never quite seem to make it. Lol.

However, I have had friends that use this method and have never gotten pregnant in the years they've used it. I think if you are also using some methods from NFP, withdrawal would be a pretty safe method to use, but with a slight risk.

September 23rd, 2011, 08:11 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Withdrawal actually reduces the effectiveness of all NFP method - because any time there's genital contact on a day with fertile signs, conception is possible. The 99% effectiveness of NFP comes from avoiding those fertile days completely.

The Fertility Awareness Method can include barriers or withdrawal or spermicides on fertile days though. NFP and FAM are two different things. Taking Charge of Your Fertility is clear to explain that this does come with a higher chance of pregnancy than avoiding fertile days though.

I guess it just really comes down to the question; how important is it to avoid pregnancy right now? Are you ok with a chance of pregnancy or do you need a method that has virtually no chance? Sometimes trying to figure this all out just gives us a chance to realize that maybe it isn't the worst time for a baby after all. Or maybe we realize it really is a bad time and it's important to make sure you are committed to a reliable way of avoiding pregnancy. All things only you and your guy can decide!

September 24th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Because withdrawal is not a form of birth control. It is unprotected sex which means you could become pregnant. It is what my husband and I are going to do but that is because we are okay with the risk of becoming pregnant. If I or he were absolutely dead set against another child then we would use some sort of birth control or be sterilized.

November 17th, 2011, 03:20 PM
HeatherLopez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Personally, I think the withdrawal method is pretty darn effective. My DH and I used that method for several years. One time he decided not to pull out and I got pregnant. A year later, we again decided to be risky and he didn't pull out. I got pregnant again. Clearly, I get pregnant very easily since he only didn't pull out two times and now we have two babies. I've obviously never gotten pregnant when we were practicing the withdrawal method. I'm not saying it's not possible, but probably not likely.

November 21st, 2011, 12:17 PM
We're combining withdrawal with FAM. We withdraw during non-fertile periods and avoid DTD altogether when I am fertile. It's not too hard since we only see each other on weekends, but I think it would be harder if we were living together.

November 25th, 2011, 10:35 PM
My SO and I used the withdrawal method for about 5 yrs until we decided to let what happens happen then we got our beautiful baby girl 2 yrs ago ! Such a blessing!
This time around I had just got stopped taking my BCP because I wasnt liking the side effects so I said when my script ran out I wasnt going back on BCP. Well took my last pill in the begining of Oct i believe and now we are pregnant again (got a BFP early Nov)! another blessing. we were doing a combination of condoms/withdrawal here and there and an "oh i forgot your not on bc pills anymore" that happened once. I do wonder how we did use the withdrawal method for close to 5 yrs and had no pregnancies then though...lol

November 26th, 2011, 08:36 PM
terrordactyl's Avatar sidecars are for *****es
we use the withdrawl method as well and its been working for us for about 6 months. i can't be on any kind of BC and condoms hurt me even latex free ones. so it works for us at the moment

January 2nd, 2012, 05:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Withdrawl is all we use since hormonal BC makes me really sick. It's been working for us so far but I don't like relying on it. that's why I just want to either have one more or have DH get a vasectomy.

January 7th, 2012, 08:29 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am using withdrawal method too! I think dh is pretty on it because he has used it even with a serious ex for 4 years and never gotten her preg. He pulls out a good 5 seconds before In some ways I hope...in the future, not now, that we get a surprise baby. He doesn't necessarily want any more but he knows I wouldn't terminate. We, at most (TMI) have sex evey other day so there is little chance any sperm survives between sessions. (I think)

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr

Topic Tools