Mirena - What You Should Know

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2011, 07:49 AM
kristiemarie518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been on some sort of birth control for most of my life since the age of 17. The pill has been the least offending; Mirena the worst.

If you are considering Mirena, I suggest you do lots of reading and educate yourself. Your doctor won't tell you all of the things that the women who have lived it will tell you. Just google Mirena and you'll see blogs about women who have literally lost their quality of life over Mirena. True, some have had great success and like anything you need to weigh the pros and cons for your personal situation. But please educate yourself before deciding on any birth control. And for goodness sake....if you do decide on Mirena (or any birth control) if you get leg pain go to your doctor RIGHT AWAY. This could be a sign of blood clots and is super super dangerous. My 26 year old sister in law is on blood thinners now because of birth control induced blood clots.

I got on Mirena after deciding that I was terrible at taking the pill and that I'd love to be period free. I had it put in. The first two months were the best. No period. No cramping (or very very little at the beginning). I felt free. I felt great. Then things started changing. I started feeling sluggish. Crampy. Getting a yellowish discharge all the time. My back started aching. I had frequent headaches. I was bloated like a balloon. I knew in my heart it was the Mirena doing all this. But I pushed through because my doctor told me it could take up to 6 months for me to adjust. Well, at the 6 month mark, I knew without a doubt this thing had to come out of me. My hubby kept getting poked. I was feeling yucky. I got it out and I kid you not when I say literally within 4 hours my back ache was gone. I started to feel better. Then the Mirena Crash hit. Wow. I can tell you that dropping off of those hormones is much more of a fall than a tumble. I was angry. Ugly. Cranky. I was out of control. Thankfully it lasted only 4 days however, it really showed me how much of the hormone I was really getting. I never had that reaction off the pill.

My symptoms were mild. There are others who suffered with this thing for years before finally deciding it was enough and now are infertile.

I just wanted to tell you all about my experience and to warn others who might be considering it. I don't recommend it. But don't trust just me. Do your homework and read about all the things that aren't listed on the Mirena fold out...it's scary and imo, not worth it.

September 12th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Fae*Aibell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had the same thing happen with the mirena. I have had severe back and abdominal cramps, bloating and had irratic bleeding. I am going to have it taken out this week. The mirena was 'sold' to me by my gynae as the best thing in birth control. It has been the worst experience for me. My doctor basically told me the hormones and me are not compatable. However, i do recognise that some find it great, but unfortunatly i am not one of them. I am going to have a break from birth control for a few months and leave my body get back to normal.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies: Harry, Ewan, and Audrey.
I am at one with God and with Nature. I feel my oneness with absolutely everything.

PROUD CO-HOST OF UK AND IRELAND MUMMIES

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search