mirena-cycle change

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I came here to ask opinions and experience with Mirena and it doesnt look popular here. Ive had it for 3 years, periods are so light that I barely need a pantiliner a couple days a month. As I said in another post, I take a test every 3-6 months so I dont constantly worry about finding out I am pregnant with this mirena in. Well, I got my period July 30. It was heavier, I even had to buy tampons which I thought was odd. But it hasnt stopped. Its been 2 weeks now. And looking back, my horomones were off 3 weeks before I got my period as well. I normally have a low sex drive, and I wanted it 3 weeks straight, so not the norm! I was wondering if anyone has had something like this, a drastic change in their cycle, this far along with the Mirena. Im my head, Im thinking great, its worn out! or Im pregnant! Im calling my dr next week but I was hoping someone has been here before...

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
August 23rd, 2011, 07:41 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It could have become expelled. The Mirena also works by preventing implantation, so every once in awhile you can conceive - but the pregnancy won't continue past about 7-14 days. You'll basically miscarry with AF and that's why it can be heavier sometimes. Even though it doesn't last long, that surge in hormones from the early pregnancy can increase libido and other hormonal changes.
August 30th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Wow, had not even thought of that but it does make sense. My dr recommended takign a test and I got a BFN on the 15th. I had my hubby check to make sure it was still in place, he could feel the strings.

Im more and more uncomfortable about this thing in me each day...

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
September 5th, 2011, 08:36 AM
K-10's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN View Post
It could have become expelled. The Mirena also works by preventing implantation, so every once in awhile you can conceive - but the pregnancy won't continue past about 7-14 days. You'll basically miscarry with AF and that's why it can be heavier sometimes. Even though it doesn't last long, that surge in hormones from the early pregnancy can increase libido and other hormonal changes.
I had the Mirena in for approx 3 years and there were a few times I SWORE I was pregnant. It wasn't until I panicked and went to my dr without an appt and had to see a diff dr because mine wasn't in that she told me this information. And I was like, that totally makes sense.

I did not have my period at all during the 3 years, but about every 3 months I would get some spotting. Some heavier than others, but I couldn't call any of it an actual period.

In June-July I was extremely stressed out, DH moved 7 hrs away for work, and I got sick. I mean SICK! I had a temp of 102 for 4 days. Nothing was bringing it down. I had the WORST pains in my lower abdomen and lower back. I went to a walk in and they said I had a bladder infection. So I took antibiotics. STILL had a fever after the 4 days of antibiotics. That's when I asked myself, what about the Mirena? I went back to my dr and got it taken out without any kind of diagnosis of if it was actually causing any of this or not. That night my back and abdominal pain was gone. The next day my fever disappeared. I've been fine ever since.

I'm not saying beware, because I LOVED my Mirena. My body obviously didn't near the 3 year mark though! It is a foreign object you put in yout body and I can't blame my body for acting the way it did! I also can't blame Mirena because I put it there! lol I will be trying it again after my next pregnancy just to see if my body reacts the same way.

I wish you felt more comfortable with your Mirena! What other kinds of BC have you tried?
September 5th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Ive tried an assortment of pills. They made me crazy, b!tchy, sick, or I broke out in hives. Tried the nuva ring, I felt sick the whole time. Then decided to NTNP, got pregnant right away.

I knew the Mirena was supposed to prevent implantation and cant complain about most of it. I called it my best friend for the first 2 years. I think the reality hit me a little harder than I expected though. I think Im about ready to ttc and it was a little heart breaking to realize what was going on at the same time my husband and I started talking about having another.

September 5th, 2011, 10:50 AM
K-10's Avatar Veteran
Yeah I understand.

Are you planning on having it removed? It's been about 6 weeks and I haven't had a period since taking it out. I thought I had my period, but I think it was just bleeding from it being taken out.

If you and DH are going to start TTC my suggestion is to have it removed well before you plan on trying so your system can get back to normal!

Best of luck!

Last edited by K-10; September 5th, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
September 5th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I do want to ttc some time next year but we havent decided when. I dont know that he is quite to the same place I am on this yet so I am anxious about have it removed without being ready if it were to happen right away. I remember the dr telling me I would be fertile right away after it was taken out, or on the next cycle.

I think more than anything all of this is making me realize that I do want my next baby soon. It didnt help that it all fell around my 30th birthday, too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search