Pregnant after Mirena Removal???

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Veteran
Hi! I am new to this discussion board and I have searched endlessly for answers online when I finally decided to do this. ok....so I just recently had my mirena removed 2 weeks and 2 days ago (April 13, 2012). My reason for removal was to donate my eggs to a donation clinic. I never had periods with Mirena so i'm nor sure exactly when I am supposed to start my period or ovulate. I did have some spotting from time to time but it only lasted a day or two and probably only happened 3 or 4 times during the 2 and half years I had the IUD. I had sex without any protection every day during the week before removal except the day before and the day of. From what I've read, sperm can live inside of your for 5 days. The day I had it removed I went out with my in-laws that night and I had one drink. The next day I felt sick all day long to the point that I wanted to just lay in bed all day. I never actually vomited but I did run to the toilet a couple times thinking that I was about to. I just thought it was due to the drink I had but I didn't understand why I would feel so sick from one drink. Also, I felt dizzy and light-headed all of a sudden one day at work. Possible pregnancy never occurred to me until a co-worker suggested it after I told her that I had been craving pistachios. I still blew it off as I started having PMS symptoms. I started having cramps. Recently, I've noticed swollen breast and tenderness, more frequent urination, tiredness, moodiness, heightened sense of smell, more vaginal discharge, and nipple discharge. The nipple discharge concerns me as it is coming from both nipples but from only one duct in both. It is a cloudy, yellow color and only comes out when I squeeze my nipples. I've never been able to get any discharge from my nipples before except when I was pregnant. I have taken 3 tests which have all came back negative. I'm not sure if I'm taking the too early or if this is all in my head or if these symptoms are due to the hormones left over from the IUD. If I am pregnant, I don't understand how I would be able to experience symptoms so soon. I would only be 2-4 weeks pregnant. Has anyone else had any of these problems or had pregnancy symptoms so soon? Please help!!!
April 30th, 2012, 02:42 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's very common to have pregnancy symptoms on the Mirena or shortly after it's removed, due to the synthetic progesterone in it. After it's removed your body has to work really hard to sort out it's hormones again, so you can have all kinds of symptoms.

Sperm can live in your body up to 5 days, but only if cervical mucus is present at the time of intercourse. Unless you were tracking your signs of fertility carefully, it's hard to say whether you were fertile just before the Mirena was removed or not. The Mirena also keeps the lining of your uterus very thin, so the chance of a successful pregnancy right after removal is lower. You can conceive, but it's harder for the baby to implant because the uterus is so thin. It takes a bit of time for the lining to build up again to be thick enough for implantation to occur. (The pharmaceutical companies that manufactures Mirena recommends waiting 3 months before TTC for that reason).

The hard part is that there's really no way to know except to wait and see! It could go either way!
April 30th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Veteran
I have started feeling more like I am going to start my period any day now. I am still concerned about the nipple discharge though so I made an appt for Friday with my dr. Hopefully it's nothing serious and simply due to the IUD removal. Thanks for your response!!
April 30th, 2012, 09:56 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Your prolactin levels could be elevated. Your DR can check that with a simple blood test. That can happen when your other hormones are affected; throws everything into an imbalance!
May 1st, 2012, 08:42 PM
Regular
I had symptoms starting at 2 weeks when I was pregnant. I'd say give your doctor a ring and ask them if they can give you any idea of how long before you're on a period again. Then go from there on testing again or going to a doctor with your symptoms.
May 2nd, 2012, 06:58 AM
Veteran
I actually did call my dr. a couple days ago and asked her when I should expect my period and what type of symptoms should i be feeling. She said I should start within a month after removal and i should have the same symptoms as if I am going to start my period but they may be a little stronger. When I told her about the nipple discharge she said she wanted to see me just to check it out. It could be nothing....we will see! I go on Friday!

How far along were you when you finally got a pos. HPT? and what type of symptoms did you experience at 2 weeks?
May 4th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Veteran
I'll be lurking for a update ^^
May 5th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Veteran
I had to reschedule my dr. appt. to wednesday 5/9 due to work. I'm still having very small amount of nipple discharge (sorry ) and it's been almost a month after mirena removal with no sign of AF. I've been real crampy like she will show anyday. I know it's all probably due to the hormones in the mirena but I just wish AF would show so I can stop obsessing. I've poas so many times with nothing but BFN's. I'm a poas-aholic!! haha. I'd actually rather not be pregnant this soon due to all the negativity of getting pg immediately after mirena removal. Also, the main reason I got it removed was to donate my eggs so others who have trouble ttc can have a better chance. But if my eggy does get preggy i'll be jumping for joy!!! Sending baby dust your way ladies!!
May 5th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Veteran
Sounds so familiar.. I got my stick removed 11.4 so almost same date than you Though I'm using Jadelle (implant), but I don't think it has that much of a difference.. I also hope I'd get a sign one way or another.. I was already relieved of the negative pregnancy test until I found out they didn't do the qualitative preg test which I thought they did. Also my cuz for example didn't get positive test until on her 10th week of pregnancy so still feeling a bit unsure. if you are interested I wrote the most recent update here:

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...ll-chance.html

Just still wanted to add that I think it's really noble of you to donate your eggs, and I think it takes a lot of courage. I don't know how the rules go in there but at least here the kid can find out their biologic mothers name after turning 18.. Been wondering of doing it myself but at least so far I haven't been ready to wonder for 18 years or more if I someday get a call "hey I'm your daughter/son.
Hope we both get some answers soon

Last edited by flobber; May 5th, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
May 5th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Veteran
I'm just not sure when to expect AF so I can't really say if I'm late or not so it's very frustrating.

Thank you for the nobility compliment. I know with the donation clinics I've talked to you can choose to have an open or closed relationship with the birth parents. I would rather let the parents choose. I respect their choice as the actual parents of the child. However, I would at least want to know if they were successful or not.

I'll be lurking for an update on your post!!
May 9th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Veteran
Any updates?
May 9th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Veteran
Well the nipple discharge stopped a little less than a week ago. I went to the dr today and she did a breast examination to rule out breast cancer and everything was clear with that. She said the discharge was probably due to my hormones after mirena removal. She did do a blood draw to check my hormones so I have to wait for the results for that. I will update as soon as I get them. I guess I should also mention that it will be a month since removal on Sunday and AF is still not here, however I am pretty crampy off and on. Also, took a test today and got a BFN.
May 10th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Veteran
Yeah, sounds familiar as usual I'm also still waiting for AF. Going on CD 46 today.. but I doubt I'll be preggers while I did the quantitative blood draw and it came up negative as well. So now I'm just waiting for that darn AF

Last edited by flobber; May 10th, 2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Counted wrong :) CD is right now..
May 10th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Veteran
I got the results back today and they didn't say much. They just said everything was normal. I'm sure if it would have been positive for pg than they would have said so. So I'm in the same boat as you...just impatiently waiting the arrival of AF. It's so torturing!
May 11th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Veteran
Yeh, I can relate.. tho I'm still producing milk so I got that on top of waiting for AF :/
June 4th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Super Mommy
I know when I have my Mirena removed I had a horrible time getting my hormones adjust that my DH was begging for me to get it back in! Before the Mirena I had very heavy periods lasting 7 full days. Even months after now having it removed it only last 3 days.
September 18th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Hi everyone!!! 1st time doing this but here it goes...i removed my mirena after 3 years of use on 9/12/12. Me and my fiancee (we're getting married 12/1/12) DTD 9/9/2012...i'm wondering how possible it is that we could possibly be preggo!!!
September 25th, 2012, 05:39 PM
My iud was removed on Aug 1st i had bleeding for 5 days and today is sept 25 and tomorrow i will be 8 weeks pregnant. I got pregnant the day it was removed. I was ovulating that day so that might have something to do with it. It didnt take very much. Good Luck. Baby dust
October 2nd, 2012, 08:19 PM
I am new to this message board thing, so Im hoping someone can maybe help me. I had my mirena removed mid august after having it for a year and a half, roughly. I started bleeding right away after that. I assumed it was a period. Then about 3 weeks later, I started bleeding again, I assumed it was just my period again. But this time its lasted for almost three weeks, and it doesnt seem to begoing away any time soon. Its not heavy, but its enough that its definitely "there". My husband and I are TTC, and my period isn't helping our case in any way!! Anyone else having this same or similar problem? Im just not sure if this is normal, because my body is adjusting to being without the mirena, or should i go to see my doc?? HELP!!??
October 4th, 2012, 02:37 PM
It feels so good to see recent posts. I have been googling and googling to see if I was the only one. I had my mirena removed 8.3.12..I had discharge for 3 days and then nothing. Doc told me my AF should return that day and it didn't. 9.3 I had some more discharge for 4 days then nothing. Now 10.4 some discharge but no AF..I have taken about 10 HPT and have gotten numerous BFNs..I had mirena 2.9 years and a period every month..I dont know whats going on...9 Weeks post removal and still searching

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search