Ready for a more serious form of BC

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2012, 05:39 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I'm currently in my 8th month of pregnancy with my second child. Before we had children, we used the FAM method. After my son was born however i had trouble remembering to check my temps and my cycles were different and hard to track. I also developed some weird hormone imbalance type symptoms after weaning my son. They included rapid heart rate, nervousness, depression and really weird cycles. I tried to use a healthier diet to help my hormones and ended up pregnant again. This is fine because we wanted our kids close together, But now we may be done. I really don't want an accidental pregnancy and think i want something hormonal to help balance me out. It was just so bad.

We plan to eventually have DH get a vasectomy, but we want to wait 5 or so years to make sure we really feel done. I'm really considering Mirena, i think the knowing that i can't suddenly decide i want a baby and get pregnant before i'm really ready because i would actually have to plan and have it removed. I'm torn between that and one of the pills because i'm not so sure about having something inside me. I've been on the pill in the past, but that was YEARS ago. I'm allergic to most condoms, and was unable to use a diaphragm due to pain. So i'm not thrilled by barrier options.

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated including pill brands that worked for you etc.

July 1st, 2012, 09:31 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Synthetic hormones do not balance hormones, they simply cover up underlying problems and imbalances. Without true treatment, those issues can worsen over time, while the symptoms or "warning signs" are masked by the synthetic hormones. Do lots of research on the risks before making a final decision!
Especialyy with regards to deression! Hormonal BC can cause it for those who were not previously suffering from it; worsen it for those who are.

For non-hormonal options, NFP methods have higher effectiveness than FAM, some IUD's, and all barriers when it's time to get serious about TTA. Not all require temping. That said, it's just as easy to forget a pill as it is to forget to temp!

Unfortunately, there is no option that doesn't have a cost. May cost your health long term (hormones, IUD's, sterilization), may require temporary behavior modification/self control (NFP), or the cost may be in lower effectiveness (barriers, spermicides, etc). It all comes down to figuring out which option is most acceptable to you.

Last edited by ShawnaCAN; July 2nd, 2012 at 08:26 AM.
July 2nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
you are right. This whole thing is so frustrating. I tried to read my cm after my son was born, and could never get a good read. I really worry that i may not be able to do it properly I'm a night nurse, and i know the hours i keep screw with my body systems too. I plan on breastfeeding, so that cuts out hormonal at least for awhile.

July 2nd, 2012, 01:51 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was really confused with my CM too, before I had proper training in how to interpret it all. If you want to rely on the information for TTA, I highly recommend taking a course and working closely with an instructor until you are completely confident in it. It's much less confusing and more effective for the long term that way! It's a bit of an investment of your time to learn it all very well, but then you're set. Able to TTA effectively and completely free from health risks. Worth the effort!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search