Question about going off the pill when y ou are ready to TTC

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2012, 10:11 AM
TooPunk2bPretty's Avatar Happy Momma and Wifey
deleted

Last edited by TooPunk2bPretty; August 14th, 2012 at 04:34 AM.
July 27th, 2012, 06:43 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The longer you can give your body to recover from the effects of the Pill, the better! The average time it takes for your body to fully heal is 3 - 18 months. Everyone is different and since fertility does start to decline after about age 28, don't be afraid to allow LOTS of time for healing! It's very common to have a few normal looking cycles right after you stop, then experience irregularity for awhile before things normalize again. Most women don't have trouble ovulating, since the Pill doesn't always stop it anyway...but the way it affects fertility most is how it damages the parts of the cervix where good quality mucus is produced. Sperm can't survive without cervical mucus. Because the cervix is so delicate, this is what can take longest to heal.

Last edited by ShawnaCAN; July 27th, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
July 27th, 2012, 07:21 PM
TooPunk2bPretty's Avatar Happy Momma and Wifey
deleted

Last edited by TooPunk2bPretty; August 14th, 2012 at 04:35 AM.
July 27th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Hopefully there are no problems once the hormones are fully out of your system, but
if there is...you're doing yourself a big favour by getting off sooner rather than later! If there is anything that needs investigation and treatment, you're giving yourself time to do that before you start trying. It's a good plan!
July 28th, 2012, 07:15 AM
MercysMummy's Avatar Super Mommy
I've been off BC for nearly two months and actively TTC but nothing yet! The bleeding I'm getting is still quite erratic and I'm only 20 so should be in my peak fertility! (this will be my second) have you thought about coming off the pill and maybe using condoms for a couple of months?
July 31st, 2012, 05:43 PM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
I am 29, stopped the pill in May and have had 2 periods since. One at 27 days and the next at 24 days.

This is our 2nd cycle TTC but our first cycle using OPKs so I know when I ovulated. My OB/GYN told me they used to recommend 3 months off before TTC but now they say "bombs away" once you stop your last pack.

The biggest thing is the lining of your uterus. Being on the BCP thins the lining to where it would not be able to "host" a fertilzed egg. If you're stopping now, your best bet would be to start Folic Acid right away as that helps to rebuild your lining faster.

If you don't have a normal cycle right away, give it some time to regulate. Like my doc said, 3 months is usually the length of time it takes to regulate although some people it may take longer depending on the type of pill, how long you were on it, etc. I was on for 10-11 years.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

July 31st, 2012, 06:15 PM
Your doctor may not have read the literature, but clinical trials show that complete recovery often takes up to 18 months. That doesn't mean you can't conceive before that, just that certain body parts/systems may not have completely healed from the effects of the synthetic hormones in only 3 months (the cervical crypts, uterine lining, plaque in the arteries, breast tissue, bone density, lean muscle mass, etc).

It does take about 3 months for the build up of synthetic hormones to leave your body. Often, those 3 months are fairly regular still. Then after that, your own hormones have to figure what to do with themselves again. That's when things can get especially irregular for awhile, before settling down again.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search