Mirena IUD question

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ShawnaCAN

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I got IUD Mirena in place on August 22, 2012 and had my period in Aug & Sept. I have not had my period since September and am wandering why. I had iud mirena in 2009 and 2010 and had my period every single month on it and any/all birth control i have been on.

I called my dr office today and the nurse said that it's either I am pregnant or for some reason this time on iud, my period has stopped. I am kinda worried about it. Has this happened to anyone else? The only symptoms I have are: peeing a lot and my bra doesn't fit right. The only time that happens is when i am pregnant.

I dont have internet at home right now but get on at parents 2x a week, so i can check my replies then. i will get blood test in early dec. if no period by then.

Thanks for your help
November 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Please don't wait to get the blood test! If you are pregnant, the risk of it being ectopic are much higher with an IUD in place and that can be incredibly dangerous! Hopefully the lack of a period is just a side effect of the hormones in the Mirena, but don't assume. Get checked out ASAP!
SarahxSyanide likes this.
November 19th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Ok, I'll call and make an appt for Wed. after 2:30 if theyll get me in by then. i dont want an eptopic. the dr i go to, said that all iud pregnancies but a couple she has delivered, the baby is holding the iud at birth. Praying it's just no period, but yea i am gonna call diff dr since i cant get in til Dec at my dr.

Thanks
November 20th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2kids08 View Post
Ok, I'll call and make an appt for Wed. after 2:30 if theyll get me in by then. i dont want an eptopic. the dr i go to, said that all iud pregnancies but a couple she has delivered, the baby is holding the iud at birth. Praying it's just no period, but yea i am gonna call diff dr since i cant get in til Dec at my dr.

Thanks

Reassuring to hear she's seen that many iud pregnancies since it's advertised as being so effective... I bled the entire 9 months I had Mirena. The first 3 months being heavy bleeding. Birth control can do strange things so I'm sure there are woman with opposite experiences. But, I would definitely get tested ASAP and not wait.
November 21st, 2012, 01:44 PM
I got the blood test today so i will know Friday morning when i call for results. she said it's either iud taking periods away or pregnancy. so ill know fri which. bc id be 9 or 10 wks if not periods being taken.

praying im not preg tho
November 21st, 2012, 04:41 PM
Super Mommy
when i had the mirena I had regular periods for a few months then they just went away. When i wanted to get it removed one Dr (clinic one) could not find the darn thing, but when i went to my family Dr she found it right where it was expected to be right away.
November 23rd, 2012, 10:28 AM
momto3brazils's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my eldest (married) daughter has the mirena and doesn't get her period anymore. I had the mirena and bled the whole time I had it and had it removed. My cousins wife just had her tube removed because the mirena found its way up into her tube and got lodged. she went ahead and had the other tube tied. hope all is fine for you.

November 25th, 2012, 05:52 PM
brandi6088's Avatar Super Mommy
hey just browsing thru... i HATED my IUD =) lol just for that main reason, i had maybe 2 or 3 normal periods, then NOTHING for 2 years( took many tests JUST to make sure =) )!! its the hormones in it that make it stop or go very light, thats what my doc told me. GOOD LUCK!!
November 29th, 2012, 06:27 AM
mommy0607's Avatar Veteran
When I had the mirena I didn't get a period at all.. I did gain weight and did feel pregnant but wasn't pregnant ..
December 21st, 2012, 06:38 AM
It said negative but still no period, and last time i had iud mirena for 1 yr i had it every month
January 1st, 2013, 07:03 PM
April 13th 2014 :)
I've had the Mirena for 2 1/2 years now, and I got spotting every 3-4 months, that's one to the side affects of Mirena!
March 27th, 2013, 10:12 AM
ShelleyB80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I was on the IUD a few years back, I got my period MAYBE 2 or 3 times, and then it stopped completely. I'm sure that's the reason and not that you're pregnant. But it can't hurt to check!
May 22nd, 2013, 01:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I got the mirena in May of 2008 and only had some spotting and irregular periods for about the first 3 months.After than I never had one.

I went yesterday to have it removed and my doctor had a little trouble getting it out because the strings were a little too short.But he got it out.Then he was trying to put the new one in and was having problems and said that my uterus seemed a little bigger than he remembered.He asked me if I had ever had fibroids and I told him no.So he ordered an ultrasound to make sure everything was ok.
Which it was.Then he tried again and he had to dialate me some and it hurt so bad.He got it in there and I was really crampy all night with some bleeding.Today I am not that crampy and I am only bleeding a little bit.

I know one thing,I will never get another one put in.DH can get the big V.lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search