IUD Complications

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Hi All,
I had the Mirena IUD placed in late September of 2012 after the birth of my second child. Starting in January of this year I had bleeding for 8 straight weeks. I finally called my doctor to have it removed. They had me get an ultrasound which showed it slightly penetrated the uterus. I went in about a week ago to have it removed in the clinic. When he tried to remove it both strings broke, he tried additional methods for about 40 minutes, all were unsuccessful. I went in on Friday to have it removed by hysterscope, a 20 minute procedure. Which once again was unsuccessful as they couldnt see it in my uterus any longer. They elected to proceed with laproscopic approach so my case was converted in the OR. I woke up 3.5 hours later with a very sore stomach and an IUD that was still somewhere in my body. The doctor called the next day to say they found an arm of it in my fallopian tube(which they are 98% sure I will lose). They now have arranged for me to have an MRI to locate the rest of the Mirena and will then figure out what surgical approach is best to get this **** thing out of me...if anyone is trying to decide on Birth Control....I URGE you to stay away from the Mirena! I still don't know what the future holds for me...
March 19th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow! That is absolutely terrible! Thanks for sharing your story... I hope they find the rest of it and don't do any more damage in the process.
March 21st, 2013, 07:30 PM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
SOmeone in my DDC had to have hers surgically removed as well. So scary. I am glad you are OK and I hope you don't lose your tube!

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
March 27th, 2013, 09:58 AM
ShelleyB80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG you just freaked me out big time. I had the Mirena a few years back for a few months but took it out. Then had another baby. Now, I want to go back on birth control because I'm on a medication that has devastating consequences if I become pregnant. I don't do very well on hormonal birth control - get very sick to my stomach and moody. So I opted for the Mirena which I found out from my insurance company is of no cost to me! What you just wrote makes me not want to get it now! But I cannot have another baby right now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search