Mirena woes..and HELP!?!

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Hey all! I'm new to this group, and am hoping someone can maybe make some sense of what's going on with me. Warning - this post may be a bit long, but I need to get it out.

So, in February of 2009 I had my Mirena IUD placed when my children were 2 + 3. It went smoothly, and I had no real problems. From then until November of 2012, I felt good and had minimal side effects. I had a tiny bit of weight gain, so acne off + on, and my sex drive varied (still does) by the month. Otherwise though, things felt great and I was happy. My period stopped, and every few months or so I'd get some light cramps and a little spotting. That was it.

In November + December of '12, I had heavy periods with cramping and all....just like prior to getting the Mirena placed. I was due to go to my OB for my yearly in January anyway, so I made an appointment for the beginning of the month. Told her everything that was going on, and she did my usual exam. Strings were present + in a good/correct spot, and everythng felt normal. She sent me for an ultrasound just to be safe, but chalked the return of my periods as stress with the holidays, and our upcoming move. Made total sense. A few days later I had the U/S, and got the results a few days after that. Mirena was right where it needed to be, and my uterus looked normal and healthy from what they could see. I did have a mid cycle cyst on my left ovary, but she wasn't concerned about that one bit. Sure enough, it never caused me pain or discomfort, and it cleared on it's own in no time.

From November on, I've had regular periods with heavy flow and cramps. Otherwise, no complaints. I've noticed that I've put on a little bit more weight, but figure it's been a crazy summer, packed with vacations, family + parties, and just lots of fun in general. I've certainly been eating away with no cares since my Disney cruise in May. But like I said, I've felt good, no complaints other than my period - it's amazing what 3.5 years without it will do to you

So now we're in August, and the first two weeks or so of the month, I feel fine. The second half? I'm tired all the time. And then when I'm supposed to get my period on/about the 24th, nothing comes. No cramping, no period. NOTHING. I started noticing that I was tired all the time, and for the last week have been having headaches (which I don't generally get, even with my allergies), peeing all the time, and I'm hungry all the time. Like STARVING. And craving cheese like it's going away and never coming back. I want ALL the cheesy goodness. My boobs have also been extremely itchy the past few days. No tenderness or leakage (although, I didn't have that issue at all while pregnant with my first two), just constant itching.

Also, on Sunday I noticed a bit of a dull ache on my right side. It lasted for a bit, and then went away. On Monday night, it came back and didn't really go away until Tuesday night. Because I started wondering what the heck was going on, I made sure my strings were there on Tuesday night when I showered, and sure enough they were where I always feel them. I checked today, and I couldn't find them. I felt around for a solid 10-15 minutes, and gave up. On my way to work I stopped and grabbed an HPT at the dollar store, since it was right around the corner from where I was going. Came home at lunch, took it, and got a big fat negative. So I searched again for my strings, and after another 10ish minutes, I finally located them...barely. It feels as though in the last two days my cervix has gotten higher, and my strings have definitely retracted.

Any thoughts? Am I going crazy?! Could it be wearing off, since I'm due to have it out in February of 2014 at the 5 year mark? Please tell me I'm not crazy, and making this sound nuts when it's nothing...

--
Caitlin
Mom to Abbie (7) + Liam (6)
September 28th, 2013, 08:58 PM
#6 otw for us:)
Sounds like u need to have another ultrasound, especially with pain on one side, could be ectopic pregnancy which sometimes has lower or slower hcg raising numbers so might nit show on hpt!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search