Implanon

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2006, 08:10 AM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
Implanon is a Revolutionary Contraceptive for Women

Implanon is the latest in an armamentarium of birth control methods for women. It’s not a new type of contraceptive pill or even another patch. Implanon is a slim implantable rod about the size of a matchstick which releases a hormone that prevents pregnancy into the body. This rod is a soft biodegradable material that has been used in joint prostheses as well. It is inserted beneath the skin in the inner upper arm and is 99% effective in preventing pregnancy for up to 3 years.

Implanon should be implanted at certain times of the menstrual cycle, based on whether or not the woman has been taking oral contraceptives or not and what type of contraceptive she takes. If she has been taking progestin-only contraceptive pills she may have Implanon inserted at any time and does not have to worry about which day of the cycle she should have the procedure. While Implanon goes to work quickly, it is advisable to use an additional form of contraception for the first 7 days following implantation.

While the device was designed to be effective for up to three years, women can opt to have the device removed prior to this period and studies show that they return to their previous fertile state soon after removal.

Since Norplant was removed since 2000, Implanon will be the only contraceptive implant available for use in the United States. It is made by Organon USA, Inc, a division of Akzo Nobel NV.

Sales are scheduled to begin in August of 2006, or soon thereafter. Physicians who plan to implant Implanon must receive mandatory training from the manufacturer to ensure that the device is used safely and it is as effective as it was designed to be.

Some potential side effects of Implanon:
Irregular bleeding
Missed periods
Headache
Acne
Painful menstrual cycles
Mood swings
Pain, swelling, or inflammation at site of implantation
Blood clots

Implanon has been used since 1998 in over 30 countries and is deemed to be a safe alternative for those interested in contraception. However, there are some things to keep in mind. Implanon does not prevent the risk of contracting HIV or other sexually transmitted diseases. It was designed to prevent pregnancy. Therefore, as is the case with other types of non-barrier contraceptives, safe sex is essential. Use of a latex condom, while not 100% effective, is nonetheless very effective in decreasing the spread of HIV and other venereal diseases.
Smoking and hormonal contraceptives can be a dangerous combination. As a matter of fact, smoking increases the risk of potentially serious side effects of the cardiovascular system. Therefore, if you plan to use Implanon it is imperative that you stop smoking, especially if you are over 25 years of age.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art44782.asp

August 19th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Logan&Sierrasmama0609's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I heard of this not to long ago. It sounds interesting. But wouldnt it bug you under the arm? or is it even noticable?

Jenny

~*I've earned $200 worth of Amazon.com gift cards just by searching the web!*~
Join me!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/jennifernpr

August 21st, 2006, 08:26 AM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
A friend of mine had Norplant a few years ago, which is essentially the same thing as Implanon, but it has 6 sticks instead of just one. When she showed it to me it wasn't very noticeable, and she said it didn't bother her.

I'd be very interested in this form of birth control, but I'd like to wait until it has been available to the public for a few years to see what the long term effects are.

August 25th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My sister had hers inplanted 4 months ago and she likes it.She said that her arm hurt for a couple of weeks,but now she doesnt know its there.
The one my sister has will be good for 5 years,but you can choose 3 or 10 too.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search