How long to wait before TTC?

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2006, 10:49 AM
~Heather~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Heather~
Does anyone know how long you should wait before TTC when you are on the depo shot? I get my next shot in September. I'm not sure yet if I want to get my shot, or start TTC. Just wondering how long I would need to wait. I work at a health unit, but I haven't asked a nurse yet.

August 24th, 2006, 03:19 PM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
I believe it can stay in your system from anywhere between 4-31 months. Usually between 1-6 months is when doctors recommend you start to TTC after depo.

You might consider asking your GYN as well.

August 24th, 2006, 07:05 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
http://ibabydust.com/ask/content.aspx?140

Here's what I found online.

Angie

=May '05 and '11

August 28th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the info Angie. It was really helpful

August 28th, 2006, 01:08 PM
asianmama
i was on depo -one shot--made me crazy! anyways i concived my son three months after i was suppose to get another shot. --i dont know if tha makes sense.. here is timeline.. august 29 05- first depo shot november 05 -suppose to get another shot- but i didnt cuz i had bad side effects. feb 06- concieved march 06-found out i was pregnant.

i think i am gonna get an iud after this baby is born...
September 1st, 2006, 05:49 PM
noiefa's Avatar Super Mommy
I was on the Depo shot for 2 years, and when I stopped the shot and TTC, it took me 5 years, and four rounds of Clomid to concive! I had to start BC pills to start my AF back 2 years into TTC. I hope things work out better for you.

September 2nd, 2006, 09:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to chelly Send a message via Yahoo to chelly
It took me 5 yrs before I could become successfully pg. I had gotten pg before than but had a m/c and the docs blamed it on the side effects of depo. They told me then I would never beable to have children due to what depo had done to me. Thankfully that wasnt true but it took my body 0ver 5yrs to fix itself.
September 2nd, 2006, 03:02 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Does anyone know how long you should wait before TTC when you are on the depo shot? I get my next shot in September. I'm not sure yet if I want to get my shot, or start TTC. Just wondering how long I would need to wait. I work at a health unit, but I haven't asked a nurse yet.[/b]

Nurse checking in....

It may not be a question of how long to wait to TTC because Depo causes secondary infertility that can last quite awhile. On average, it takes about 18 months for a woman's fertility to recover from the effects of the drug, but it can take as long as 3 years. That's just to get healthy....then consider that it takes a couple of average health 6-12 months to conceive.

If you were hoping to TTC in the near future, you may want to get off the shot as soon as possible, as TTC will likely take longer than you were expecting.

Sorry for the crappy news. Hope you're one of the lucky ones who recovers much faster!

Shawna
September 9th, 2006, 06:06 PM
mimi23's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was on it for a few years, and decided to get off, and switch to the pill (Alesse).. it says it can take up to a year to get PG again.. but I still took the pill right after getting off.. I know I forgot a few days here and there, but aways taking 2 the next day..
within 3 months or so I was PG.

September 10th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Send a message via AIM to Alyse
I was on it for 2 shots - it was to "wear off" (or whatever you call it) in April but I didn't get a period for several months after that. My Dr. put me on the pill for a few months (Aug-Sep) to regulate my cycle and I got pregnant in Nov. I've heard of it taking much longer though.

September 19th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Thank you all for responding. I have done some reading on here about the depo shot, and I think I am not going to get my next shot, which is due next week. I have only taken one shot, so I hope that it doesn't mess me up too bad. We are not ready to start ttc right now, so I am just going to get on another type of bc for now. Not real sure right now when we might start ttc.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search