Nuva ring

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ladyjill
For anyone who's on this.. how do you like it? How long have you been on it? Is there anything you don't like about it? Has anyone gotten pregnant while on it?

I'm on the pill right now, but it's just not for me.. I ALWAYS forget to take them, so right now we're using condoms, and I hate them.. I need to find an alternative quick.
August 28th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Cassie Send a message via MSN to Cassie Send a message via Yahoo to Cassie
I didn't like it -- took it out after only 10 days. Gave me headaches, fatigue, mood swings, and depression. Got immediately better after taking it out. But it may work for you.

August 28th, 2006, 07:40 AM
~Danielle~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had it for almost 2 months. DH could feel it everytime we were initimate and then I ended up getting pregnant on it, so I will not be going back on it after this baby is born.

August 28th, 2006, 08:16 AM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've not used the ring but I used the patch for over 2 years. I LOVED it!! I never had a problem with it coming off or any other side effects.

Also, if you aren't planning on having any other kids any time soon, I also recommend a IUD.

Angie

=May '05 and '11

August 28th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow.. looks like I won't be going for the ring.. The patch is out of the question. I was on it for about a month and it made me so nauseous. IUD isn't for me bc we want to start TTC sometime next year.. I'm afraid of the shot bc I've watched my cousin gain like 30 lbs in 6 months from it. Idk what to do
August 29th, 2006, 08:45 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Wow.. looks like I won't be going for the ring.. The patch is out of the question. I was on it for about a month and it made me so nauseous. IUD isn't for me bc we want to start TTC sometime next year.. I'm afraid of the shot bc I've watched my cousin gain like 30 lbs in 6 months from it. Idk what to do [/b]

What to do? Do NFP! 99% effective when learned well and applied properly. No hormones! No side effects or health risks. And you can immediately use it in the opposite way - to conceive when you're ready.

Shawna
August 29th, 2006, 06:00 PM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
The only issue I have with NFP is you can still get pregnant if you don't time things exactly right, or if you ovulate differently than the average person.

It works for a lot of people, but I'd perfer to use hormonal methods that prevent ovulation. No egg = no pregnancy.

August 29th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Quote:
The only issue I have with NFP is you can still get pregnant if you don't time things exactly right, or if you ovulate differently than the average person.

It works for a lot of people, but I'd perfer to use hormonal methods that prevent ovulation. No egg = no pregnancy. [/b]

I think you might be confusing NFP with the old rhythm method, where you would definitely get caught if you don't ovulate like other women! With modern NFP methods, you make no assumptions about what your cycle will do based on previous cycles or based on what other women are like - you evaluate your fertility daily and apply the guidelines accordingly. There are no calculations or "predictions" about when you are fertile.

Incidentally, only 12% of women actually have 28 day cycles. I have PCOS - which means I've ovulated as early as CD 23, and as late as CD 81 - and everything in between! Modern NFP is completely adaptable to irregularities like that. Of course, it does require a little extra support from a teacher when things are more complicated (like in my situation, or breastfeeding Moms, or those in peri-menopause, or other PCOSers).

But you're right, you DO have you follow the guidelines if you want to avoid pregnancy. For us, the freedom from the long term health risks and side effects is worth the extra effort it takes to chart every day.

Just FYI, hormonal methods don't always prevent ovulation (especially low-dose forms or progetin-only forms). The third action is to make sure that *if* breakthrough ovulation and conception occur, the lining of the uterus is too thin to support a pregnancy - so miscarriage occurs at the time of menstration. For some, that's no big deal. For others, that's a major moral issue. Either way, it's always important to know as many facts as possible.

Shawna
August 30th, 2006, 09:43 AM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
Hmm. I didn't know that only 12% of women follow a 28 day cycle. I would have suspected it to be more than that.

So, NFP involves noting temperature, mucus, and cervical changes, yes? Even if all of these are noted one can still only estimate when ovulation occurs, with a high probability of course - so the risk of pregnancy is essentially the same as using hormonal birth control.

I personally would perfer to take a pill every day, or put a patch on once a week, or a ring once a month, or an IUD every 3-5 years!

However, for those who are not interested in using hormonal methods then I'd absolutely suggest using NFP.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with using hormonal methods, and I think that people who have trouble keeping up with charting will be better protected by using hormonal methods like the ring or an IUD that are less likely to fail, or be forgotten.

August 30th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Hmm. I didn't know that only 12% of women follow a 28 day cycle. I would have suspected it to be more than that.

So, NFP involves noting temperature, mucus, and cervical changes, yes? Even if all of these are noted one can still only estimate when ovulation occurs, with a high probability of course - so the risk of pregnancy is essentially the same as using hormonal birth control.

I personally would perfer to take a pill every day, or put a patch on once a week, or a ring once a month, or an IUD every 3-5 years!

However, for those who are not interested in using hormonal methods then I'd absolutely suggest using NFP.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with using hormonal methods, and I think that people who have trouble keeping up with charting will be better protected by using hormonal methods like the ring or an IUD that are less likely to fail, or be forgotten.[/b]

Yup, essentially the same effectiveness rate as hormonal birth control (96-99% effective, depending on which NFP method it is). Various NFP methods involved relying on different things - some do mucus only, some mucus and temperatures, etc. You don't estimate *in advance* when ovulation will occur - cuz what if it's early, or late? You confirm it has occured AFTER the fact. The presence of cervical mucus will alert a woman to the fact that her body is trying to ovulate, so no genital contact any time cervical mucus is present. If she's charting daily, then there is no way to be caught off guard - she'll notice that the mucus has started if it's earlier or later than usual. She can also evaluate the pattern to determine whether she truly ovulated, or it was just a false alarm (such as with PCOS or breastfeeding Moms). Some women have an infertile vaginal discharge all the time that is a lot like mucus, but with a bit of help from an instructor she can figure out what is truly fertile for her and what is just that infertile discharge.

It's pretty fascinating anyway - for those who like to chart! Interesting stuff!

Shawna
September 1st, 2006, 09:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Interesting.. I'll have to look into it.
September 2nd, 2006, 12:21 PM
ashlynsmom's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Wow.. looks like I won't be going for the ring.. The patch is out of the question. I was on it for about a month and it made me so nauseous. IUD isn't for me bc we want to start TTC sometime next year.. I'm afraid of the shot bc I've watched my cousin gain like 30 lbs in 6 months from it. Idk what to do [/b]
Actually, the Mirena IUD is good for up to 5 years BUT you can have it removed anytime you wish before then! And you can get pregnant immediately after having it removed. No waiting around for your hormones to get back to normal like if you were using the Depo shot. So the IUD may, in fact, be an option for you. Good luck!

September 2nd, 2006, 03:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah.. But my insurance dosn't pay to have it removed if you don't wait the full 5 years. I'm cheap, LOL!
September 6th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Jakes_mommy04
Quote:
Yeah.. But my insurance dosn't pay to have it removed if you don't wait the full 5 years. I'm cheap, LOL![/b]
Popping in from the toddler board, I just wanted to say that I had the Mirena IUD after my son was born, and it's not for everyone. I had it for five months and then my body rejected it and expelled it on it's own. That was a very painful thing, and though not very common, it can happen.
Currently I'm on the NuvaRing and there are a few negative side effects. When I take it out for the week, I usually get really depressed feeling, and I have gained a little bit of weight since I started it.

<div align="center"></div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search