A question about the pill

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2006, 10:25 PM
bluebutterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey, sorry if this has already been asked but I'm new to the board and haven't gone through all of the posts.

I had my son in April and I definitely don't want to get pregnant again any time soon so I was thinking of going on the pill. I've already had two "slip ups" of not using protection and I want to know that if that happens again that I'm still protected. The only thing I'm worried about is it not working properly and ending up still getting pregnant. I'm still going to use condoms but if there's a time I don't I don't want want to be paranoid about the pill not working. I know so many people who say that've taken it properly and still ended up pregnant.

So for those of you who are on it or have used it in the past how well did it work for you? Is it really that effective if taken properly? And what are some of the side effects? I know it various from person to person but a couple of my friends complained that it turned them into a total b*tch and made them gain loads of weight.

TIA for anyone who can help!

Thank you tasha_mae for the awesome siggy!

August 28th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyInWaiting Send a message via MSN to LadyInWaiting
I took Ortho and Ortho Lo..I hated them both. I turned into a ##### and now that I have been pregnant..I know thats what I felt like. that I was pregnant that is. I gained a few pounds..but I was a ##### from hell..

August 29th, 2006, 10:26 AM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've taken Ortho-Tricyclin. I didn't have a problem with weight gain or moodyness. It worked good for me. I never felt like it was a bad form of b/c.

If your scared of getting pregnant why don't you look into another form of b/c?? It depends on when and if your going to try for another. I have an IUD and I love it. It's as effective as sterilization and since I have the copper one, there aren't any hormonal side effects.

Angie

=May '05 and '11

August 29th, 2006, 11:02 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not every birth control pill is right for every woman. I was on at least 4 different pills before finding one that was right for me. Low-dose pills are more likely to fail, so if you're super fertile, you may want to stay away from those. No matter what don't ever take Ortho-tricylin lo as it is infamous for not working. I'm surprised that it's still on the market. I love being on birth control pills. Right now I have the copper IUD which is great but I could really use the mood stabilization that I got from my pill. I'm experiencing PMS for the first time in the last 10 years and I'm not liking it, lol. When taken correctly-every day at the same time-the pill has a pretty low failure rate (I think around 1%). It's just about finding the right pill, don't be embarrassed to go back to the dr. each month and tell him/her that you're getting yeast infections, headaches, weight gain, or whatever and to switch you to a different pill.

August 29th, 2006, 04:00 PM
bluebutterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks everyone.

Is there one brand that seems to do better than the others as far as effectivness and side effects? Because I've also heard that Ortho-tricylin lo isn't the best kind to be on so just curious which one would be. I plan on asking my doctor too.

Thank you tasha_mae for the awesome siggy!

August 29th, 2006, 06:34 PM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
Every pill is going to work differently and have varying side effects for each person. You have to try them to find out which works best for you.

I was on Ortho tricyclin for 3 years and had no problems with it until I took antibiotics - which is how Emma was conceived. I honestly do not believe most people who got pregnant while taking the pill correctly. They were either not taking their pill correctly (every day at the same time each day, without fail,) or they took medicines that interfered with the effectiveness. The pill is 99.7% effective (though I do agree that ortho tricyclin lo doesn't work for a lot of people because the hormones are not strong enough.)

Anyways, like Zacksmama said, don't be ashamed of going back to your doctor every few months and switching birth control (I'd say give it 2-3 months before you switch because it can take that long for your body to get used to it.) I've been on the patch for nearly 5 weeks now, and I'm planning on switching for two reasons : it makes my whole body itch, and it attracts dirt.

August 31st, 2006, 03:42 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I was on Alesse/Avianne before I got pregnant, it worked really well for me. The first couple months my moods were crazy as my body adjusted, but then it (and I) calmed and I had no problems. It was our only form of b/c and we went 3 years without a surprise ... and we are a lucky couple that got pregnant our first month of trying (2 months after I went off the pill. DH was sent out of town for work right after we decided to try, heh), which gives me a fair bit of confidence in its effectiveness.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search