Mini-pill & Breastfeeding

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2006, 09:26 AM
Jenny Lee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, girls! I have a question for you. I am currently on the mini-pill. It's called Errin, which is generic for Ortho Micronor. I went on it at 4 weeks post-partum. I chose this progestin-only form since I'm breastfeeding. My baby is almost 6 months old now, and I'm still breastfeeding on demand. The part that's changed is that my DS in now getting 2 solid feedings per day. I really don't notice that I'm breastfeeding any less during the day despite the solids, but Ryland does sleep through the night most nights. No AF yet, so I assume I'm not ovulating. My question is do you think this mini-pill will still be effective for me now that I've started the solids? Should I only be concerned if I get AF back? I don't think I can get on a combination pill since I'm still nursing? Any thoughts? TIA!

August 31st, 2006, 09:58 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As long as you take it at the same time every day, then you should be fine. Most women won't get af while on the mini-pill, that's one of the side effects.

August 31st, 2006, 12:52 PM
baileylee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to baileylee
lol, I am on Micronor as well, and Noah is almost 6 months, sleeping through the night, breastfed, and getting 2 solid food feedings a day, but yes the mini pill is still effictive as long as you are taking it on time, women who aren't breastfeeding are often perscribed this pill as well, and it is just as effective, and most women don't get AF on POP's same as the depo shot, because you aren't getting any estrogen, and breastfeeding decreases estrogen as well. So it may be from the pill or maybe you are just lucky and it will take awhile. I have had a TON of spotting on micronor, but not near as much as I did on the shot. And getting AF will not affect the effectivness of the pill, but you may want to get on a combined pill when you decide to stop breastfeeding (we are hoping to make it to a year!) because combined pills are slightly more effective! Good luck!
Bailey

Thanks Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
August 31st, 2006, 06:58 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the above posters.

I took the mini pill for 5 months while I was nursing my son. He was on solids, slept through the night, ect. I never have a problem at all. Just make sure that you take it the same time every day.

Angie

=May '05 and '11

September 6th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Thank you so much for the replies!

I just read in the breastfeeding forum that breastfeeding is 97% effective as a form of BC as long as you nurse on demand and the baby is under 6 months in age. But Ryland will be 6 months tomorrow...is the mini-pill recommended once your nursing infant turns 6 months old? Do you think I should get in to see my OB/GYN to discuss other options?

September 6th, 2006, 07:51 AM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If your worried then call your ob/gyn. He/She will be able to help you decide what is right for you!!

Angie

=May '05 and '11

September 6th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Quote:

I just read in the breastfeeding forum that breastfeeding is 97% effective as a form of BC as long as you nurse on demand and the baby is under 6 months in age. But Ryland will be 6 months tomorrow...is the mini-pill recommended once your nursing infant turns 6 months old? Do you think I should get in to see my OB/GYN to discuss other options?[/b]
If you are still going to be breastfeeding the only bc options you really have are the mini-pill, the depo-shot, an IUD or IUS, barrier methods, and NFP. Any bc with estrogen can dry up your milk supply, but your ob/gyn should be able to tell you more. But yes, the mini pill is fine to use after 6 months, it's fine to use anytime before or after baby, it is just not AS effective as a combined form of bc, but it is still around 94-96% effective. Good luck!
Bailey

September 6th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Quote:

I just read in the breastfeeding forum that breastfeeding is 97% effective as a form of BC as long as you nurse on demand and the baby is under 6 months in age. But Ryland will be 6 months tomorrow...is the mini-pill recommended once your nursing infant turns 6 months old? Do you think I should get in to see my OB/GYN to discuss other options?[/b]
If you are still going to be breastfeeding the only bc options you really have are the mini-pill, the depo-shot, an IUD or IUS, barrier methods, and NFP. Any bc with estrogen can dry up your milk supply, but your ob/gyn should be able to tell you more. But yes, the mini pill is fine to use after 6 months, it's fine to use anytime before or after baby, it is just not AS effective as a combined form of bc, but it is still around 94-96% effective. Good luck!
Bailey
[/b]
Thanks, Bailey! That makes me feel a lot better!

September 6th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bailey
[/b]
[/b]
No Problem, lol, I am still on Micronor, I would LOVE to get on something that I don't HAVE to take EVERY day lol, but I am not willing to give up breastfeeding for it! So for now I guess this is it, I was on the depo shot, but I bleed for the entire 3 months (talk about good bc lol) and there are so many horrible things they are finding out about it now. And I didn't want to deal with a barrier method (the fact that any sexual activity is rare around here doesn't make me want to put it off anymore because we don't have a condom or whatever lol) And I am NOT ready for another baby so I don't want to take a chance with NFP, and my doctor wouldn't insert an IUS because of my age...so I guess it will be Micronor for awhile. Again like I said there really isn't a need for you to switch, but if you do want to, your doctor would be able to help you out so much more!

September 6th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jenny Lee @ Sep 6 2006, 07:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>

Bailey
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
No Problem, lol, I am still on Micronor, I would LOVE to get on something that I don't HAVE to take EVERY day lol, but I am not willing to give up breastfeeding for it! So for now I guess this is it, I was on the depo shot, but I bleed for the entire 3 months (talk about good bc lol) and there are so many horrible things they are finding out about it now. And I didn't want to deal with a barrier method (the fact that any sexual activity is rare around here doesn't make me want to put it off anymore because we don't have a condom or whatever lol) And I am NOT ready for another baby so I don't want to take a chance with NFP, and my doctor wouldn't insert an IUS because of my age...so I guess it will be Micronor for awhile. Again like I said there really isn't a need for you to switch, but if you do want to, your doctor would be able to help you out so much more!
[/b][/quote]I'm perfectly happy to stay on Micronor as long as it's working. I'd love to get into NFP, but I'm NOT ready for another baby right now either...I'd be interested to see how my body reacts to no more hormonal BC (eventually) just because I've been on some version of the pill for the past 10 years...minus the two pregnancies. I don't plan on stopping breastfeeding any time soon either so I suppose I'll stick with Micronor. I've got 5 more refills before I'll HAVE to return to my OB/GYN for a script. Maybe I can wait a few months, go in for my annual and discuss any new options with her then.

I've never had the depo shot, but I've been hearing negative stuff about it lately too.

September 6th, 2006, 11:07 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There's always NFP! 99% effective when learned thoroughly from a certified instructor and applied accordingly. No hormones, goop, gunk, or gadgets. Pregnancy and breastfeeding are "hormonal" enough, LOL. It's been really awesome!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search