Depo...

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2006, 08:39 PM
nicole1484's Avatar nerdilicious
is what my doc wants to put me on. I guess because i got preggo when i was on the pill...but i was thinking of maybe just trying a different kind? I've heard so many negative things about Depo. What do you guys think? Do any of you have any good stories about depo?
August 31st, 2006, 08:57 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Do any of you have any good stories about depo?[/b]
I don't.

September 1st, 2006, 07:02 AM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've not used it.

Why is your dr pushing you to use Depo?? There are other forms of b/c that are just as effective and don't have some of the side effects as depo.

I have an IUD and I love it!! If you aren't planning on TTC for a while (or decided that you don't want any more kids) this might be an option for you.

I'll give you more info if your interested.

Angie

=May '05 and '11

September 1st, 2006, 07:56 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
is what my doc wants to put me on. I guess because i got preggo when i was on the pill...but i was thinking of maybe just trying a different kind? I've heard so many negative things about Depo. What do you guys think? Do any of you have any good stories about depo?[/b]

I would be VERY cautious about going on Depo! The long term health risks are very serious, and if you want more children - it causes secondary infertility that can last up to 3 years. I'd more concerned about osteoporosis and breast cancer though.

I'll be blunt. I think that stuff is poison and should never have been approved for use. You don't have to look far to hear horror stories about it. It just does horrible things to women, and most of them have to learn the hard way. Totally unfair.

Shawna
September 2nd, 2006, 07:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to chelly Send a message via Yahoo to chelly
DONT DO IT!!!
I was put on it when it first hit the market, I gained a tremendous amount of weight, got a blot clot and it stopped my period for 5 years after I stopped taking it. I have signed things asking for it to be taken off the market.
After 5 years of no period I was told I couldnt have any babies, when I was able to become pregnant before the drug. Thankfully that turned out not to be true, but I was lucky. I belong to a depo support group and there are tons of woman who were able to become pg before depo and now cant, and may never be able too.
Its a horrible drug with so many seriuos side affects. The doc that put me on depo, will NO LONGER prescribe it. There are so many doc that still do. I think it should be pulled off the market. I have seen and experienced the horrible effects first hand.

I am not trying to push my opintion on you or anyone else, but I dont want any woman to have to experience any of these things if they dont need too.
September 4th, 2006, 09:00 PM
asianmama
please dont use depo!

i used it once and it destroyed me. i went into psychoic episodes for three months and i am still not completely normal. it made me very suicidal, very emotional,moody,depressed, i would have extreme outbursts for no reason--- i was in costco with my husband- he was not even a foot away from me and ask what type of bagels i wanted. i started screaming curse words and started crying in the middle of the bakery section... totally freaked everyone around me out.

one of my friends her story was she was on depo for 2 years and she and her husband started trying to conceive and they ended up with 4 miscarriages. the doctors blame the depo for making the uterus linning to thin and impossible to carry a baby pass 15 weeks.
September 5th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to chelly Send a message via Yahoo to chelly
Quote:
one of my friends her story was she was on depo for 2 years and she and her husband started trying to conceive and they ended up with 4 miscarriages. the doctors blame the depo for making the uterus linning to thin and impossible to carry a baby pass 15 weeks.[/b]
I also had a miscarrige at 12wks. I was told it was caused by the depo. Its a horrible drug.
I also had some emotional problems, but not that severe. Most of the emotional problems were caused when I was told I was sterile forever.
September 5th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Super Mommy
well no good story here. I almost died from it at 19. I took the shot once & did not stop bleeding for over a year. At one point I was passing clots as large as the inside of my hand. I ended up in the hospital & they tried to push a hystrectomy on me at 20.
September 5th, 2006, 12:04 PM
asianmama
omg-- the bleeding. i bleed for two months but nothing that extreme. it was just a constant auntflow.. thats kinda the reason my due dates keep changing on me... i dont remember when my cycle became normal after the shot...
September 6th, 2006, 12:36 PM
nicole1484's Avatar nerdilicious
wow. thanks guys. at my appt. i'll make sure to tell her i do not want Depo. Because i know i do want another baby in 4 years...
September 6th, 2006, 01:08 PM
asianmama
i say go get an iud... they have ones that last 5 years and 10 years.. i am gonna get the 5 year one as soon i have my 6 week post partum --so decemberish or januaryish
September 8th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
don't get it

I gained so much weight, I had 1 very heavy period every 3 months, and horrible pains. I was in alot of pain the whole time. It got worse the longer I was on it.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

September 19th, 2006, 12:54 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
bumping this for Diamondsglow.

September 19th, 2006, 02:04 PM
~Heather~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Heather~
WOW I can't believe all the negtative things about the depo shot. I got on the shot 3 months ago, only took it one time. And I am due for my next shot, next week. But after reading all of this, I'm not too sure I want to get another one. The only thing that has happened to me so far, is I gained 10 lbs. Other than that I haven't had any problems. But I am going to think twice before I get my next shot. I work at a health unit, and people are in here everyday getting the shot. I never knew there was so many problems with it. I know when you get the depo shot here, they give you calcium pills, because supposely the shot causes ostoperious (sp?). Thanks for all the info!!!!

September 19th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Jooniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Jooniper
I wanted to add that I had the shot at 18 and it made me have AF for 2 of the three months. I did not do it agian. My best friend had it also, at the same time, and she continued to use it. When she stoped taking it she didn't have a period for 3 years and they told her that she might not be able to have kids. She has since started her period and has used other methods of birth control, and now she is TTC , she has been for about a year, with no luck.

I do not recomend this method of BC.

September 25th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Quote:
is what my doc wants to put me on. I guess because i got preggo when i was on the pill...but i was thinking of maybe just trying a different kind? I've heard so many negative things about Depo. What do you guys think? Do any of you have any good stories about depo?[/b]

As I mentioned in the other topic, I have had nothing but good experiences with Depo and have used it for 9 years. When I went to a new Doc last year, she was concerned about the length of time I had been on it, but after a bone density scan and blood work, she told me that I was in above average health in all categories.

I have had NO bad experiences or side effects with Depo and would recommend it for someone who does not want to have children anytime soon. Because each person is different, it can take up to 2-3 years to conceive after Depo and there are better choices for those who think they will want children in the near future.

On a side note - when I tried BC pills I bled for three weeks straight and hated it!

September 28th, 2006, 11:32 AM
irishxrose
Quote:
Quote:

As I mentioned in the other topic, I have had nothing but good experiences with Depo and have used it for 9 years. When I went to a new Doc last year, she was concerned about the length of time I had been on it, but after a bone density scan and blood work, she told me that I was in above average health in all categories.

I have had NO bad experiences or side effects with Depo and would recommend it for someone who does not want to have children anytime soon. Because each person is different, it can take up to 2-3 years to conceive after Depo and there are better choices for those who think they will want children in the near future.

On a side note - when I tried BC pills I bled for three weeks straight and hated it!
[/b]
Same here... the pills make me have two periods a month that last for a week each... so it feels like I'm constantly bleeding.

I just got the Depo shot yesterday (like I said in the other thread, I can't take the pills or be on the patch), so I'm not sure how it's going to go for me. My doctor told me that it's my decision if I want to continue, and we'll see how these next 3 months go before I get it again. You all are scaring me though!
September 29th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Logan&Sierrasmama0609's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Never been on the Depo but all the stories I have heard are not very good. I would also suggest a different form of BC

~*I've earned $200 worth of Amazon.com gift cards just by searching the web!*~
Join me!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/jennifernpr

September 29th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Regular
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I was concerned about the weight gain so ended up not using Depo for the time being. I think doctors might push it because it's so expensive. My OB/GYN charges $100 a shot (so $400 for a year!), my primary care provider charges $60 a shot. Then I read that some clinics charge $25 a shot. It's the same thing, I don't see why there's the difference. I also read that it can take 18 months to get your period again and I was concerned about that too! Did anyone have problems getting their period back/getting pregnant after they went off of Depo?
January 29th, 2007, 10:08 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*just bumping this old thread...*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search