Insurance and Mirena?

Forum: Birth Control

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Control LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Super Mommy
I'm trying to find online anywhere that shows whether my insurance (Mainecare/Medicare) covers Mirena, and I can't seem to find anything... I had my post-baby appt Monday, and scheduled an appt to have it put in, but didn't even think about insurance until now! Does anyone know if the info would be online somewhere? I tried googling, but didn't come up with much.

Is it common practice to cover IUD's?

</div>
September 28th, 2006, 07:43 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Many insurances do not. Call your dr's office and they should be able to tell you. If you've already made the appt for insertion they've probably already submitted the request for pre-approval.

I have Blue Shield of CA HMO and they wouldn't cover it. I sent a very polite letter to my insurance company telling them that I really questioned their business practices because if I fell pregnant, they would cover 100% of my delivery & well-baby costs as well as all of my prenatal appts which would run them well over $30k but they wouldn't pay $600 to prevent that from happening. Seemed like flawed logic to me. I explained to them that I was nursing and couldn't take the combo pill, I'm allergic to spermicide, and had a bad reaction last time I took the minipill and the IUD (non-hormonal) was my only option. If they wouldn't cover it, I would probably end up pregnant since I'm a fertile myrtle.

I got another rejection letter from them with info on how to file a grievance. I filed a grievance and got another rejection letter. So I wasn't on bc at all! 3 months went by and I suddenly got a letter in the mail stating that they had overturned their decision and would cover 100% of the IUD costs after all! I think maybe they were thinking I would just get on another bc and was just bluffing and then when they looked at my history and saw that I hadn't gotten on anything, they freaked out and approved it! I was so stoked! It's worth it to try to get them to make an exception.

September 28th, 2006, 09:25 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
I suddenly got a letter in the mail stating that they had overturned their decision[/b]
September 29th, 2006, 07:11 AM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My insurance coveres IUD's. We found out by calling them. You might have to do that. I"m sure that it depends on the insurance company.

Angie

=May '05 and '11

September 29th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Maren
my insurance company covered my IUD but honestly i didnt care thats what i wanted and seemed like the best option i was expecting to get a bill in the mail for it but whatever my primary insurance didnt cover my secondary did. But yea i would call and they will tell you what they cover and how much of it

Visit my blog to find out how you can earn amazon gift cards
As well as just updates from me on everything!
http://lifeasmaren.blogspot.com/

September 29th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Elisabeth's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Elisabeth
I got the IUD back in June (love it btw) and medicaid just sent me a letter saying they would not cover it but it was only $50

</div>
September 29th, 2006, 09:08 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I got the IUD back in June (love it btw) and medicaid just sent me a letter saying they would not cover it but it was only $50[/b]
They must have covered some of it, mine was $600!

September 29th, 2006, 09:14 PM
asianmama
call ur insurance company.. i just called wednsday for info on iuds and coverage-- oregon health plan-family care--they cover it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search